It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People don't know how to vacation anymore!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Even customs officers?

Especially them.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Even customs officers?

Especially them.

Ever since the rubber glove incident?

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Looks like Bugs gets different treatment than AM.

Bwahahahaha.....

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Ever since the rubber glove incident?

I request that. Every. Single. Time.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's DOLPHINS, Intrepid. On vacation, you swim with dolphins, not man-eating sea monsters.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Looks like Bugs gets different treatment than AM.

Bwahahahaha.....

The glove thing isn’t the issue, it’s the gimp masks...

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Hackett & Marillion sigh - it sucks being in Perth sometimes - good luck to you my Canadian lucky man

Don't cry...you have the Icehouse tour. Sounds like a great vacation to me! (Lucky Man, indeed!...prog joke, eh?)

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Well, it was really meant as a funny, but i guess it didn't come across that way.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

And here I am, excited that I'm going to be going skydiving for the first time soon. And giving some serious thought into doing weekly-biweekly travel for a magic the gathering tournament series on the east coast that's mostly in driving range.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You wouldn't think it would impact your vacation but it totally does here's why.
I am walking down to the beach. I have to stop 20 times so I don't run into the person that stops in front of me taking a selfie.

I am enjoying the waves hitting the sand, then two women block my view and start taking selfies in an almost X rated style in front of all the kids.

If there is anything historic or interesting to look at you'll have to fight with hordes of people taking photos with their phones and unlike back in the camera days people are just plain rude with their phones.

When you drive in these small vacation towns people take selfies while driving, this is perhaps the most disturbing of all and the frequency in which it happens is shocking!

I've just hit the tip of the iceberg, but it is bad!

Dude, put more distance between you & other people, that's practically walking up their assh#.
Also, be grateful there's idiots able to be silenced with a stupid phone, I'll take the quieted crowd over the loud one ANY day.

Also, Clearwater Beach? All the beaches in the state, and you pick Tourist Trap Numero Uno? Tsk, tsk. Next time, go down to Tigertail Beach on Marco Island, it's almost like going out of the country with that one, it's a hidden gem of a beach, most born & raised don't even know it's there.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
My idea of a vacation is a nice cabin or house with a good view of a lake and hammock where I can literally just unwind away from it all for a week or so. No phone signal, no internet, no cable or streaming services. Maybe a good book or two and a fishing rod, I would be set.

Yep, this is more our idea of a vacation than going back "home" (Florida) is. It's not that we've "done" or "seen" it all down there, it's just that that kind of vacation -- hot & humid tourist trap -- isn't appealing. My husband once told one of the neighbors if we wanted to suffer that again & call it a get-away, we'd just go to some desert tourist trap instead. It might be hot still, but a dry hot is infinitely better than a humid one.

The husband & I are aiming for a week in a cabin on either Lake MI or one of the inland ones here in MI next year (and before summer tourist season starts for them) We've got a couple of areas in mind that offer quite a bit of untouched nature to satisfy the inner walkers in us, kids need to get in touch with that more than they need Disney trips, KWIM?
edit on 4/7/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Why do you care? Let everyone be whoever they want to be, i couldn't care less, i don't get it. Maybe i'm part of the 'selfie-crazy' people or who knows but when i'm out there i don't care or wonder or watch other people, whatever they do is what they want to do or be, who cares!
edit on 8-4-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH

Why do you care? Let everyone be whoever they want to be, i couldn't care less, i don't get it. Maybe i'm part of the 'selfie-crazy' people or who knows but when i'm out there i don't care or wonder or watch other people, whatever they do is what they want to do or be, who cares!

Dr House.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

and he posted this thread while on that vacation...

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: employ21
and he posted this thread while on that vacation...

You know, I totally missed the irony of that.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: employ21

#1 I am not a He, #2 I didn't post while on vacation

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

We lived in Florida for several years. Yes we picked Clearwater, yes it is touristy, and that is ok, there are some good restaurants and some places we wanted to visit again for personal reason. There are many local beaches that we have visited up and down all over both coasts of Florida.

I do not walk up people's .### in fact I would say I put more distance than normal people, but it still doesn't help when you are walking in a group flow, and people just stop all of a sudden. If you read my other posts you'll see that I almost witnessed several accidents, one in which I was almost certain someone was going to get hit by a car.

This post is not about where I went, and my preferences of beaches or vacation, but that people in general are changing their cell phone usage habits to the point that the vacationing experience is changing for everyone (including those that aren't on the phone 24/7)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Well, it was really meant as a funny, but i guess it didn't come across that way.

Sorry.

Ok my bad, I usually don't miss stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

And here I am, excited that I'm going to be going skydiving for the first time soon. And giving some serious thought into doing weekly-biweekly travel for a magic the gathering tournament series on the east coast that's mostly in driving range.

That's cool, getting away often is good too.

Won't see me jumping out of a plane tho. lol!

An old GF went out to Orange MA to do that. I think it was Orange. Long time ago.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Interesting experience. It matches what a friend of mine was telling me recently. He runs a boat charter service on the East Coast, small boat, maximum of six people. He's been doing it for about 20 years, grew up in the area and is fantastically knowledgeable about the area.

We began as his customers but over the years became more friends than customers. He was telling me about having to fish two people out of the river over the past week because they fell out of the boat while trying to take selfies. They wanted him to dive down and try to find their phones! He is thinking of collecting cell phones before departure just to avoid that issue again. "Why pay $700 for an "Eco-Tour" and spent the entire time looking at your phone?"

Some of his tales are hilarious, others---just sad. His Eco-Tour is an opportunity to learn about the flora, fauna, and local folklore if you're inclined to curiosity. Yet he estimates that only about 3 of every 10 people he takes out ever asks a question about the ecology.

Like you, I feel sad when I see people so engrossed in their cyber life that they can't even put down the device to enjoy a good meal and a drink. And then I remember that I'm an addict too...but even I can do without coffee, chocolate and cigarettes for a few hours at a time... I do love me some beach vacations. Good weather, good food and good books. That's my version of Paradise.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join