It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The trade war get interesting. China hits back.. hard..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There's a tariff on paper tigers too

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Exportts are 21% of the US hog market value and it amounts to around $1 Bil per year to China. Even more amusing is this...
WaPo

Hong Kong-based WH Group dominates U.S. pork exports to China through its American subsidiary, Smithfield. The Chinese government has proposed a dramatic 25 percent tariff on U.S. pork products, 309,000 tons of which were shipped to China last year.

In other words, to punish Trump, Beijing is slapping a massive tariff on an industry which is dominated by a Chinese owned hog producer and export operation within the US. LMAO... you can't make this stuff up.

The stock movement is simply elasticity moving stuff around. They're removing some slack, slashing out some deadwood which was in sore need of being culled during a record bull market run. The logic behind national trade protection and tariffs is still very sound and the right thing to do. Let China's tantrum do exactly what it will ultimately do if America refrains from wimping out and flinches: that being hurt China.

bahahaha

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The chinese are not dumb they know what they are doing. This is just a show of inderect force that Chine will respond to US stupdity.

The chinese pork from the US will hurt the US government. And the Chinese will make 25% on the tarif if the US still want to exsport. No matter how you try to spin it.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You do understand many of those tariffs were already in place. China imposed a 320% tariff on US poultry many years ago. The stock markets recent slide, which still leaves it over 1800 points ahead of its level before the election, is more a result of the decline of the earnings of the tech giants and not so much tariffs which are being rolled out and not just implemented overnight. I know though, Trump did it so it's all bad, right ?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: seeker1963

There ya go. My impression of "regulations" is they tend to squeeze if not roadblock little guys from ever getting their own thing going, when the big boys already have the loot to persevere thru all the flaming hoops.

Maybe the little guys should do a better job then, rather than expect success handed to them. Find a new way to do things so the regulations don't apply, innovate.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
The chinese are not dumb they know what they are doing. This is just a show of inderect force that Chine will respond to US stupdity.

The chinese pork from the US will hurt the US government. And the Chinese will make 25% on the tarif if the US still want to exsport. No matter how you try to spin it.

China can't meet their population's pork demands in absence of US pork.

I'm amused by your posturing here... The US tariffs on Aluminum and Steel, two metals which the US was the largest manufacturer of in the world just a scant couple of generations ago and still possess the infrastructure and resources to produce domestically is "US stupidity" while China slapping tariffs on imports they lack the ability to domestically meet demand for AND mostly will impact exporters and producers within the US but owned by Chinese firms is "Not dumb..." Freedom is slavery and war is peace, ya? LOL

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You do tell us all about the businesses you've started from nothing, when having almost nothing, and how slick you are for making it look so easy. And in this lifetime. And how everyone should have no problem lifting themselves up and out of dead end wage slavery. In this lifetime.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

They've been responding to US stupidity for a couple decades now. Its called US-China Trade Relations.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Tariffs on products from trump heavy areas.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Could it be a joke tariff?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Cheap ribs and blade steaks sounds good to me!

And bacon!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

No, I think it's China grasping at straws. The trade gap between China and the US is so ridiculously huge that there really isn't a way for China to "get" the USA via trade tariffs. China is learning what it feels like to have zero power in a negotiation and I don't think they have any idea of how to deal with that reality. Their next step will be filing a grievance with the WTO which will result in... absolutely nothing. The WTO is unlikely to interject themselves into this fully because they realize the current administration doesn't give two flips what the ruling would be and all that would be served is the WTO being exposed as essentially powerless against the US. That will be followed up with China making more threats related to divesting themselves of US debt and striking up the market basket of currencies noise again... that will probably happen sometime in late summer and while the market analysts are freaking out over it, crying that the sky is falling, the US dollar will strengthen and Main Street will see sunshine while Wall Street grumbles about the clouds.

Love it or hate it, this is an important part of MAGA. National protectionist policy in America is very much needed and it starts here with China.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The thing about CHina is that they were happy not trading with us. They were happy to keep to themselves. I guess being forced to hook your own population on opium at the end of a cannon has that effect.

But from the perspective of China, im not sure why they should see the deals as skewed in their favor. We went to THEM with hat in hand.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: anonentity

No, I think it's China grasping at straws. The trade gap between China and the US is so ridiculously huge that there really isn't a way for China to "get" the USA via trade tariffs. China is learning what it feels like to have zero power in a negotiation and I don't think they have any idea of how to deal with that reality. Their next step will be filing a grievance with the WTO which will result in... absolutely nothing. The WTO is unlikely to interject themselves into this fully because they realize the current administration doesn't give two flips what the ruling would be and all that would be served is the WTO being exposed as essentially powerless against the US. That will be followed up with China making more threats related to divesting themselves of US debt and striking up the market basket of currencies noise again... that will probably happen sometime in late summer and while the market analysts are freaking out over it, crying that the sky is falling, the US dollar will strengthen and Main Street will see sunshine while Wall Street grumbles about the clouds.

Love it or hate it, this is an important part of MAGA. National protectionist policy in America is very much needed and it starts here with China.

Yep! China's bluff has been called as it should have YEARS ago. They don't have the natural resources such as food and water to feed and sustain their people as the US does.

Let em puff up their tiny chests!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I live in virginia. The pork and peanut capitol of the east. Smithfield was purchased by China over seven years ago. They can have American breed pigs and not pay the tariff.
Expect the price of your chops and ribs to go up this summer. Good thing there are still hamburgers and beef hot dogs.
edit on 422018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Yep! China's bluff has been called as it should have YEARS ago. They don't have the natural resources such as food and water to feed and sustain their people as the US does

Really. Stop buying the propoganda. Have you been to China. Give it a try before issuing your armchair verdicts.
The people are well fed they dont go without. China is leaving the USA sitting. It really is.Thats a true story. It is the worlds largest economy and is out competing the USA on many levels.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Smithfield is about as garbage a company as I've ever seen. They literally run Smithfield the town along with a private police force. They abuse workers which have no rights and basically run the whole show like mafiosos. Who the hell cares what they do...I wouldn't eat a thing from them if you gave it to me free.

I grew up in Waverly just a few miles away.
edit on 2-4-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

They have such toxic agriculture they have to buy up land and companies in other countries just to produce something edible. The place is a polluted cesspool. Its so bad in Beijing they put in a massive LED wall to play video of sun rise and sun set cause you can't see it through the smog most days. Have you seen the waters there???

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Which country's population would "suffer" the most if America stopped importing anything made in China, and China stopped importing anything made in the USA?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

China can't win a trade war.

They need us as customers more than we need their Chinese junk. We already deal with a ridiculous number of unfair trade practices and never retaliated. This is just the U.S. trying to level the playing field.

Bottom line is China is screwed without us buying their crap.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join