It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 223: The “Eagle” gets “Blessed”.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

But Askren just won't shut up. How much sense does it make to keep badmouthing a potential employer?

I posted almost word-for-word the same thing on MMAFighting back when it was all happening. Askren even appeared on Helwani's show and put his other foot in his mouth too.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Seems as if we have the same take concerning Askren-White.

One thing:

Dana's the same dude who agreed to a contract stipulation with Tito where he would literally box him if Tito would sign the contract.

This is a big misnomer, er, an urban legend. Tito signed the contract with said clause, however, Tito decided against enforcing the contract stipulation (I'd wager DFW told him it's not in his best financial interest to do so), not the other way around as you asserted.

??? How does this disprove what I said? I didn't say anything about why the fight didn't end up happening. Dana and Tito didn't like each other. That's correct. Tito's UFC contract had a stipulation in it where he could box Dana in a boxing match. That's also correct. Dana agreed to it. That's also correct. Dana even claims he started training for their fight.

How is that an "urban legend" if it's true? If anything, the fact that it was Tito who decided not to follow through on it kind of backs up my point that Dana will still make deals with people he dislikes and with people who've disrespected him. Dana even claims they had a fist fight on a private plane that the Fertitta bros had to break it up.

Yet they were still able to make deals together. That just shows me that Askren could most likely make a deal with Dana if he'd just stop doubling down on the insults and start acting like he actually wants to fight in the UFC.
edit on 10-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

My bad, I have terrible experiences with the pop-ups when posting from my phone, so I misinterpreted how you phrased what you were saying. Honest mistake. Blame these unnecessary pop-ups. I own it, misinterpreted what you were saying and peaced out logging on via mobile.

But, again, I agree with the entirety of the rest of your take, as I noted.

Hope that clears it up...if not, we can always have 'a coming of minds' in the ring, or on the mat.

ETA: The 'urban legend' take was just that...unless you believe Dana F#cking White isn't a demonstrable liar and that it wasn't purely a promotional angle. And, yes, Dana and Tito have had a long history of beef...but remember, Dana White was literally carrying Tito's bags before the Fertittas bought SEG. Then again, Dana said Thursday that he has no interest whatsoever in working with McGregor...3 days later and they're bust buddies and are soon to announce a 2nd Floyd-McGregor fight. Putting it nicely, Dana White is duplicitous.

edit on 10-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

No worries on the mix up.

And yeah, I admit that Dana's a proven liar. He always talks out of both sides of his mouth, so it's hard to believe anything he says. But that's why I tried to use examples that were provable to show that he's still made deals with fighters who've disrespected him before. The Nate Diaz slap is on video so we don't need to take anyone's word on it. And Tito's gone on record confirming both the boxing match and the private plane scuffle, so at least if someone's lying there, it would be both of them.

Either way, I think Askren could probably get a UFC deal if he'd just stop talking crap, sucked up his pride, and apologized to Dana. And then if there ever was a Khabib vs Askren fight at 170lbs, I'd expect either an early submission or a long, boring, Woodley vs Maia type of fight. That's because I'd expect one of them to overestimate their skills and get caught in something nasty, or for their grappling skills to be negated and leave us with a... not so pleasant striking match.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

No worries on the mix up.

And yeah, I admit that Dana's a proven liar. He always talks out of both sides of his mouth, so it's hard to believe anything he says. But that's why I tried to use examples that were provable to show that he's still made deals with fighters who've disrespected him before. The Nate Diaz slap is on video so we don't need to take anyone's word on it. And Tito's gone on record confirming both the boxing match and the private plane scuffle, so at least if someone's lying there, it would be both of them.

Either way, I think Askren could probably get a UFC deal if he'd just stop talking crap, sucked up his pride, and apologized to Dana. And then if there ever was a Khabib vs Askren fight at 170lbs, I'd expect either an early submission or a long, boring, Woodley vs Maia type of fight. That's because I'd expect one of them to overestimate their skills and get caught in something nasty, or for their grappling skills to be negated and leave us with a... not so pleasant striking match.

Wow, you and TST are becoming my fav ATS members -- would you be my ATS friend (I'm being a bit sardonic, but honestly, just found out ATS has a 'friend' feature and I would gladly appreciate being your's)?

I agree with everything you said. No brown-nosing. You're spot-on.

Answer me this: would you rather see an McG-Diaz III, or whoever McG fights for the LW strap (I just don't see Conor taking the Khabib fight for less than $50M...therefore, I wager he ducks Khabib until injury or defeat and comes back for the non-Khabib title fight)?*

*Working under the safe assumption that the UFC needs Conor more -- not vice versa.
edit on 28-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: asterisk

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

edit on 5-5-2018 by Cravens because: Ooops

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Max is moving up to LW and he’s gonna get his shot at Khabib.

Last night was a beat down and Blessed easily defended Ortega’s takedowns. When he was taken down he popped right up. If his health is 💯 he’s got something for The Eagle.

Let’s hope the AC doesn’t give Khabib more than a year...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join