It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 223: The “Eagle” gets “Blessed”.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So, steel pipes, blindfolds, and tractor tires are all in a day’s work; when you’re not working and still looking to get paid, random encounters end a career’s worth of work? If you’re “El Cucuy”, that seems to be your lot in professional cage-fighting.

A quicker rejoinder/primer on the original main card for UFC 223: An unbeaten savage, who wrestled bears as a grade-schooler, was set to face a crafty, sleek BJJ ace who has beaten a ‘who’s of who’ in the UFC lightweight division (155 lbs/70kgs), riding an eleven-fight unbeaten streak. I am talking about Tony “El Cucuy” Ferguson facing off with Khabib “The Eagle” Nurmagomedov this Saturday, April 7th. It was a fight that had been heavily marketed, not to mention, it was the 3rd attempt at getting them both in the cage together. Guess what? It didn’t materialize because Ferguson apparently tore a knee ligament tripping over pavement attempting to engage an old acquaintance. I’m not making this up. True (allegedly) story.

So what now? Now, we have a fight for the ages. Max “Blessed” Holloway (featherweight champion [145 lbs/66 kgs]) steps in on 6 days’ notice to face, what many consider to be a ‘generational talent’ in the undefeated, Khabib “The Eagle” Nurmagomedov.

I had my reservations about Tony’s chance against Khabib, but nevertheless, I went contrarian with my prognostication and felt Tony would somehow gut it out and crank on a d’arce late in the contest and sub Khabib. Believe me, it’s not a rational take, but it was my take. Now, we have a truly ‘generational’ talent versus another ‘generational’ talent.

This is a CT site. Sports are an afterthought. No worries. I’ve made my takes and engaged in debate (argument) here on ATS with some sharp combat sports’ fans (to a lesser degree those members who ‘train’ self-defense [unequivocally and without hesitation reminding the ‘martial arts purist’ that my man will absolutely stomp a mudhole in your ‘masters’ ass]) and promised my second thread would be a UFC 223 thread, if it happened.

Well, it’s happening and I couldn’t be more excited.

Max is coming in on short notice, but at his natural weight. Khabib has long struggled with weight-cutting issues. Is there a weight-cutting advantage for Max that nullifies the short notice? Lots of angles to this…Khabib has never so much as lost a single round in the UFC. Max has twice KO’d the greatest FW to walk planet Earth. WOW! Just WOW!

I can’t wait.

I hope this thread gets some run…because this is truly a match-up of 2 of the greatest ass-whoopers in the history of the world (of course it’s all relative, but the point still stands).

ATS MMA/Combat Sports’ enthusiast, what say you? Are you more bummed T-Ferg is out, or more pumped “Blessed” is gonna be across the cage from “The Eagle”?

WAR ‘BLESSED’

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Lets just get any new 155 Legit Champ the belt, so the clown thats been holding it up can go play boxing or hollywood or whatever.

It would be great to see Max get a 2nd belt, so again said clown cant claim to be the greatest.

edit on 1-4-2018 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Wait, so Ferguson is really injured? I reeeeally thought that was a bad April Fool's joke. Oh & for the record, this is the 4th time this fight had been scheduled. Khabib pulled out twice (at 2015's "The Ultimate Fighter 22" and at UFC 209) and Ferg pulled out once (at 2016's "UFC on Fox: Teixeira vs. Evans" event).

Assuming that this isn't an April Fool's joke, I'll just assume that those 2 were never meant to fight. I was barely even hype for it this time because Khabib makes me nervous with his weight cuts. I'm not saying you're lying, but I'll just wait until the official weigh-ins before I believe anything with this fight. (Oh, I'd heard a rumor several weeks ago that Conor was supposedly training to be a last second replacement for this fight. I thought people were just yapping, but who knows at this point.)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

This fight doesn't solves anything until Khabib fights Conor or tony. At least Max is a badass

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Khabib might not even make weight again. The guy needs to go to 170lbs. So bad for your health to be fighting at an unsafe weight. Sucks was a really go card

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Khabib is just too strong for Max. Most likely this fight is going to remind us of DC vs Silva at UFC 200.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

As much as it sucks, it would be fitting if he didn't make weight. That would be the icing on the cake.

If I'm not mistaken, the fight would then only be a title fight for Holloway. But if something happens that stops Holloway from fighting, then either Tony would stay the interim champ, Conor would stay the real champ, or the belt would be vacant.

Oh well. There's still Rose vs Joanna 2 (which I think will go the same way as the first fight). Meh.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingMonkeyInSpace

Yeah, if Khabib goes easy on him. Otherwise, it has the potential to be brutal. Max is an amazing fighter in his own right, but I don't know if he has the power to even faze Khabib.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
this bums me out so much

i was very nervous for tony cause khabib is a smashing machine

he has hired a nutritionist and made a few changes so i dont think making weight is going to be a problem.

all the crazy # you go through in training and you tear a ligament on a stage for a media obligation.

sucks man.

im not a huge fan of max.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It's was the 4th attempt to get those two in the ring.

Max Holloway, TKO, by the end of the 3rd round.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse
It's was the 4th attempt to get those two in the ring.

Max Holloway, TKO, by the end of the 3rd round.

Interesting.
Max does like 3 round tko but I think khabib is gonna smash him

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Dana white just said no matter what whoever wins is the lightweight champ

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Max does have a chance but I don't seem him beating a bigger man especially when that bigger man is Khabib. Khabib is a natural 170lb at his age anyways.

But don't count out max the guy is a champ for a reason.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Dana white just said no matter what whoever wins is the lightweight champ

Nice
Khabib is taking the belt home to the father.

I would like to know how Tony jacked his knee.
Sucks for him. He is still young and hungry but this is a major set back.

I want to see khabib take it then set up khabib vs conor so we can see conor get smashed

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Khabib is a horrible match up for conor but I've doubted him before. I could have swore Aldo was gonna smash him. Tony tore is LCL

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I know but he said he did it on stage fulfilling a media obligation.
How does that happen

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Who knows not hard to tear up your knee or he is scared but hard to see someone like Tony faking an injury

Either way this is a useless fight and kinda want max to win only because I usually go for the underdog and would be amazing to see.

I got Khabib 3rd round tko ground and pound

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I agree. I think that Max would do better against Nate Diaz or Ferguson (I'd love to see those fights), but Khabib's a different story. Then again, I thought/hoped that Aldo would smash him both times they fought, so who knows.

It would've been better for Conor to jump in since he's recently been posting all kinds of training stuff on his social media. And in February he claimed that he'd offered to fight Frankie Edgar on short notice at 145lbs. And he put out a post saying "Stay Ready" on the 23rd (HERE), etc.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I don't think anyone at the highest levels is scared.
It's easy for people to think it but you don't make it to those levels of you have that problem

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Khabib is a nightmare because he is so good at that folk style wrestling where you just ride guys and slowly demolish them.

If a guy that good wants you on the ground chances are that's where it's going.

He is by far the most talented grappler in the UFC save for maia

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join