It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 223: The “Eagle” gets “Blessed”.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
youre probably right about eddie. how could he not?

i would lose my #.

he is my favorite person on the planet save for my family.

he answered 1 question i had on his niburu forums but thats it.

i do talk to ben eddy and dawna gonzalez quite a bit.

she is a 10th planet brown belt that runs the womens classes and ben eddy is a 10th planet black belt.

he is out of his mind but he is harmless. he is hilarious and he is a god damn jiu iitsu freak. he just has the mind for it

but yeah. i would think eddie is around.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I hear ya, bro. Eddie is a good dude. Never met him or anything of the sort, but you can just tell he's on the level.

If you have the time, go catch him on JRE's MMA podcast from yesterday. Eddie gets into his CT stream-of-consciousness and they catch a buzz and are really entertaining for the first 2 hours. They barely talk any jits/MMA, only that Ugly Tony wanted to fight and that he's (Eddie) not going because there's some EBI-affiliated event in Brooklyn the weekend following. I have a hard time doing anything for 3 hours but yesterday's podcast is worth it, particularly since you're a big EBI guy.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

watched it live dude

when i say i am a khabib fanboy that is true

im all next level fanboy with eddie.

the best was the eddie bravo radio podcast with jean jacques machado. it was 3 hours of legit stories right from one of the OG's

so eddie was talking about how he went to brazil with jean jacques for the mundials. this was before he tapped royler in 03

they went to train at gracie barra... dude this is so nasty
so you know it gets hot as # down there. the guys at gracie barra didnt wash their gi's so when you grab on to the lapel for example for a grip your hand just slides off cause the fabric is all broken down.

they roll. sweat and then hand their gi up to dry.
at least around 2000 they did.

that was a great podcast. he has a good one with dean lister too that is just fantastic.

ive seen all the ones with him on rogan.

he is definitely out there but is a legit good dude. never talks # about people.
after he tapped royler and leo veira laid it on him he says leo beat his ass. to this day

if you want to see some killer 10th planet jiu jitsu watch the eddie vs royler match from metamoris. free on youtube.
best to watch the version from when eddie was on rogan and did the play by play.

one of the greatest matches of all time.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i just watched khabib vs barboza
christ man.

thats some scary stuff

did you catch this

so that is rick roufus vs the dude whos name i cant pronounce. roufus is one of the greatest american kickboxers of all time. his brother duke roufus is one of the most sought after striking coaches in mma right now.

this was the first time americans got to see kickboxing vs muay thai.
roufus got destroyed with leg kicks cause he didnt know # about them.

also the rules were no clinch, knees or elbows. if so this fight would have been over in round one

so after rick gets demolished duke gives the interview that said leg kicks do not take any skill and does not really show you are a good fighter.
this is 1988. he was 19 and bummed his brother lost.

like i said. now he is a fantastic striking coach and he does teach them low kicks.

edit on 3-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

sounds like we're on the same wavelength...I, however, am a much more 'macro' kind-of-guy and really appreciate your ability to get into the weeds on some of this stuff. good stuff.

Dean Lister? Wow, that takes me back to getting UFC PPV's on illegal Canadian satellite feeds with a backyard satellite dish...that's many moons ago and I appreciate the reminder. I grew up 45 miles east of Charlotte and my uncle, who was a huge NWO/WWF wrestling fan, had me for the weekend and took me to UFC 3 just because they couldn't give the tickets away. We went for free. I was barely 11-12 years old and hated it...just some context. This will be my first UFC championship event in 25 years...I'm pumped.

I'm just gonna peg you as my go-to jits sounding board...it's been since I was in my late twenties since I've put any time in rolling, but I still have all golden gloves gear/etc up in the garage and beat some sand and pull 4 min jump rope sessions on occasion, but I'm officially closer to 40 than 30 now, so it's all entertainment at this point.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

yup, like I said, I rarely do anything for 3 hours but I did yesterday in watching the whole podcast.

like they said, that fight was a turning point (a seminal event in MT/Kickboxing) for the entire sport. smaller, weaker, with only-tape-on-his-ankles guy destroys a world champion kickboxer?? something is amiss...it was the integration of the shin-first lower kick. as they said, "it revolutionalized the sport". Glad you caught that as well.

Jeffrey "Duke" Roofus is just a plain-old badass. He's a f#king boss, bro. Love him.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

i just turned 40 in march.
i dont train very often anymore. work gets in the way. i took a few serious injuries in the foundry so i am pretty beat up.

most of the time now i just pop into the open sparring class to roll for an hour or so.
i do a lot of yoga to keep my flexibility up.

still a freak with following the goings on.

ufc 3... damn
so you got to see kimo walk out with that dumb ass joe san dragging the big ass cross..
nice

dean lister is a beast man...

i hope you have a good time man. of course youre going to.

anytime you want to talk jiu jitsu or mma im here man.
i can talk about this stuff all day

never been a better time for jiu jitsu for sure and a lot of that is due to mr eddie bravo

you also got to see keith hackney tune up that 600 pound emanual yarborough

nice

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

for sure

pretty sure he fought stefan leko and andy hug.
i could be wrong. i didnt follow kickboxing all that much

that definitely got people to pay attention to those low kicks.

those guys are og's
rick fought rob kamen and maurice smith... ernesto hoost

legit

gonna laugh but i talk to ottavia bourdain often too. she is legit as #. brown belt under danaher
not with anthony bourdain anymore. left his ass and now she is with eddie cummings who is a danaher black belt.

they both run classes at mushin and in the blue basement.

she dont talk out of turn or say things that should not be said but she answers questions for me sometimes about the guys on the danaher squad.

she is awesome man. tiny little lady that will # you up

want to see some sick #?
you have to log into facebook. i have an account just for this #

this is eddie cummings showing the 'pillory strangle' on ottavia.

looks sweet and he says it works live but i dont see a high level guy getting caught.
i love this submission

www.facebook.com...

^^ thats the full link

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Ha! That's really cool, bro. John Danaher is one of those guys who plays chess while his opponent is stuck on a checkers' board. I remember his take on the first Weidman-Silva fight...however, he never mentioned Silva hotdogging it and eating a full power hook from a 220 lb, All-American wrestler with his 40 yr old chin.

It looks like it just me and you until Sunday after the fight, so I'll just share where I come from this vis-a-vie some anecdotes about my childhood.

I grew up a 'wrasslin' fan. Rode my bike to get autographs from Rock-n-Roll Express at the local Hardee's. My grandfather was a sheriff's deputy for Charlotte-Mecklenburg County (trivia: Charlotte-Mecklenburg PD is one of the larger LEO departments in the nation) and his boss did security for all of the Turner 'pro wrasslin' productions in Charlotte (Charlotte was ground zero for regional outfits like Turner's that ended up competing with McMahon's outfit [coincidentally enough, Vince grew up 45 miles east of my hometown] during the late 80's); my uncle was resident at the Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN '85-'87 and ended up coming home getting his first gig as 'sports physician' for NWA Wrestling. I say all this because many people equate the face/heel (or kayfabe) aspect of 'wrasslin' to the promotional angle of MMA...I HATED MMA as a kid and was literally, only a degree of separation away from Ric Flair... Royal Rumble, Summer Slam, Whatever at the Beach, etc. were all the high water mark for me in entertainment; the UFC (apparently, the new owners don't like the "the" and only refer to the promotion as "UFC", currently, but back in the day it was "The UFC") events were the last thing I wanted to see/attend, and after seeing it as a kid (yes, they were so desperate that if you could cast a shadow you could enter with a ticket -- our tickets were free because security was the same as the wrasslin event in the same areana, Ovens Audiotorium) and deeming it terribly boring in comparison to wrasslin, it was an afterthought for 10 years.

Boxing was my thing as far as combat sports were concerned. I got my first heavy bag the summer between freshman and sophomore years of high school. I dug in. Competed as an amateur. Loved it. But then one spring semester in college I partied with some NCAA Division I wrestlers...that was the first time I ever knew what it felt like to tote an ass-whooping. The university had an MMA club that these wrestlers would occasionally pay some mind to...no one at that time was slick enough to ever catch one of those guys before you were picked up and slammed and you could fell the air/life rush out of your body...but eventually I hooked up with some legit dudes in the DMV (D.C./Maryland/Virginia) area. Never competed, but I did learn a lot from some decent people. The great thing about boxing is the taping of the wrist...my small wrist-to-hand ratio hinders my BJJ progress. It doesn't take long once someone my size gets ahold of my wrist. I enjoyed it, but would always look to wrestle my way out and hunt for blood chokes. Not a winning strategy. At any rate, it's fun and if someone is willing to pay for the mat time and do it for the sport of it (and not looking to just 'seatbelt' me with control of my wrist and 'win'), I'm still game enough to roll. I still have all my boxing gear and hit the heavy bag in the garage several times a month. And what is so funny to me, is that jumping rope is one the single best exercises to this day!! 150-200-year old exercise is still the top of the heap (running, too, but that kinda goes without saying).

Alright, I purged my daily quota of stream-of-consciousness, but I finally set up the iMac and those terrible pop-ups on ATS aren't keeping me away...good talking to ya...even if it was just rambling about growing up and loving pro wrasslin

P.S. I don't do FB, but I'll get my girl to log on tonight and pull that video up for me...I'll get back to you.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I like talking to you. Will reply in detail later cause I'm on break on my phone.

Yeah you have to watch that video.

I'm gonna get my ass whooped as soon as weather breaks. My buddy at work is 23. 260 pounds. Wrestled 4 years high school. Goes to gym 3 times a week.

I'm 40. 220 pounds. Wrestled in high school and jiu jitsu off and on for 15 years. Never go to gym. Missing finger on left hand. Titanium cage in my back.

We are gonna grapple. Submission. No pins. No strikes.

I figure if I can get half guard or even quarter guard I can hit some sweeps and get on top or take his back.

Far stronger than me but not flexible.
I'm very flexible and good technique

He said he is just gonna try to smash.

I've been practicing my granby rolls at home
Will be interesting
edit on 4-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I hear ya, bro (sorry, it's a phrase used as a term of endearment). I get what you're getting at -- even if it goes sideways and he's the hammer and you're the nail, there's something about the sense of achievement. I'm torn, I do adult things and carry the societal burdens of an adult, but I just don't feel that different in the morning than when I was 23...I can only appreciate the grind you put yourself through with those injuries. I've had my brows stitched/glued and should've broken all kinds of bones in a farming accident, but fortunately, I've never experienced any injury beyond a cracked knuckle and sprained/rolled ankled.

On the level, props for putting your body through it -- my college buddy has had both shoulders 'repaired' and he's severely depressed because he can't work and the NCAA doesn't pay 'student-athlete' post-school, er, servitude health costs...lesson, kids: don't play football. I digress, I gotta get back to knocking out some sowing of hemp seeds (it was supposed to rain today but the storm didn't make it past the smoky mountains and spring finally sprung here in NC so might as well get busy) but I'll check out that video when she gets home.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

it does not say a date but rogan put up a pic for the upcoming fight companion.
hopefully they do this saturday because i will not get the fights till sunday

rogab
schaub
callen
bravo
and jaimie

i love those man....

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

ever see jean jacques machado from ADCC1999.

he was a destroyer dude. submitted everyone.

this is only like 5 minutes. him vs caol uno
you can see exactly where 10th planet came from all in this match

heavy use of the over hook.(of course. he only has the thumb on the left hand)
heavy butterfly guard
a little rubber guard
spiderweb

jean jacques is the man

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

hey beef

watching the press conference now

dana said it was a stripping of the belt for tony. tony was the interim. conor is losing the belt he said
whoever wind the khabib fight will be the champ. no conor. no interim.

dana also said 100% conor will fight this year.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I just saw that coming in this AM. Holy sh#t!! Max Holloway looked to the be the guy an entire weight class up. Go check the presser in wide-view and tell me that Max isn't the significantly bigger man. I knew Max was still growing, but damn, I can't believe he's as big as he is. I pull out tomorrow morning...I feel really good about Max's chances (always have, but I have to be objective and the size difference is legit).

Yes, I heard that the winner was gonna get the belt...also, my girl is a total Conor nut-hugger and she follows him on twitter and showed me his response to Dana's declaration that he'd be stripped. Ummm, I think Conor holds all the cards and judging by his tweet, he firmly believes that as well. So far, Conor has gotten EVERYTHING he has demanded (outside of an equity stake in the company -- which, because I wear a tin-foil hat sometimes, have maintained his negotiations are centered around a future boxing career or copromotion of his UFC fights) and I don't see it changing. Dana says a lot of things...a lot of things that are untrue or are later proven, at best, loosely based in reality.

Linky to Conor's tweet

edit on 5-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: link to tweet

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yea it just proves Conor is what I think he is and it rhymes with brasshole. His whole thing is an act, a well thought out and done act but an act none the less.

Khabib scored some points in my mind during the press conference but the whole Max is fighting for money thing was getting stupid later in the conference. I lost some respect for him and his fans were being rude buttheads as well. We know you love him guys let us hear people speak please...

Rose looked great and stoic. I think she'll win again.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

Like EVERY MMA-related news item, somehow Conor McGregor enters the fray and knew I wouldn't be able to keep his name out of this thread (try as I might)...BOOM, he executes another part of that well-thought-out plan...that fracas today at Barclays wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sad thing, he probably should be punished for this with a suspension for 1 year or 2 but Dana won't coz he's their golden goose.

If Dana had real ballz he'd ban Conor for life effectively ending the championship questions and free up the UFC to get back to booking good fights and not waiting for this jackass to decide to fight again.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

Yup, and if a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't...(you know the rest).

Conor has Dana by the balls. It couldn't have happened to a 'better' person. Piss on DFW. Conor McGregor made him hundreds of millions.

Also, I have stated here, actually, before that Conor would never fight in the UFC again, but instead, copromote a super-fight or continuing teaming up with Leonard Ellerbe et. al, and working a McGregor-Mayweather boxing promotion. Anyone ever asked why Dana is pushing so hard to sigh Anthony Joshua (for those uninitiated, he's the Brit HW champ boxer who's about to sign a fight to unify the HW boxing associations)? Why Zuffa Boxing? Conor is never fighting MMA again and he's angling for a co-promotion of a mega boxing fight.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I'm thinking a lifetime ban is in the offing. Others have done less and been banned for years.

We now have 1 fight canceled coz Lobov was involved in the incident.

Chisea fight canceled, commission won't let him fight.

Ray Borg fight canceled due to eye injury from the incident.

Rose all shook up, considered pulling from the card but I think she'll pull through.

I'm sure the commission will yank his license to fight in NY.
edit on 6-4-2018 by SpartanStoic because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join