It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 223: The “Eagle” gets “Blessed”.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: JDmOKI

I don't think anyone at the highest levels is scared.
It's easy for people to think it but you don't make it to those levels of you have that problem

I dunno man Khabib is a scary wrestler. He drains your soul out of your body if you're not ready for that kinda grind. He may not finish you but it's 5 rounds of hell

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Caught Bravo on the JRE podcast...dip# apparently tripped wearing sunglasses.

Not a fan of "Blessed"? That's a shame. I've been singing this guy's praise since he was dropped in the deep-end from jump street. Khabib is the real McCoy, but I feel much better about Holloway's chance of becoming strapped Saturday night...I'm Brooklyn-down!!
edit on 2-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: yt problem

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Nah, man. Max Holloway is far from scared. Anything but it.

Vegas rightly has Khabib as a sizable betting favorite, but Vegas also had Money May at -400 during fight week...the 'smart money' is not always so 'smart'.

I'm too invested in Holloway to put any money down, but he's a live dog and a superior athlete and fighter in comparison to T-Ferg. Privately, Khabib and AKA are not happy...or nearly as confident. Be interesting in the coming days to hear what Daniel Cormier says about the opponent switch -- Cormier isn't nearly as hyperbolic as Rogan but is very much as honest...

WAR 'BLESSED'

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Ha. I hear ya, bro. I am the biggest Nate Diaz mark you'll find (hell, check my post history, you'll see I called the Nate Diaz win...on ATS...yikes), being in NoCal are you a Stockton Slap kind-of-guy?

What's his name will never enter the Octagon again.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

"What's his name" will pretty much HAVE to enter the octagon again. For he is under contract with the UFC.
If no, he'll be sued. Back to ground zero. So if you don't know by now, "What's his name" loves him some loot and more so.....spending it.

In my opinion, the UFC wants nothing more for Khabib to win, setting up a real nice money maker match featuring the Notorious and the Eagle. I feel as if they're banking on Max to get stomped. Fighting with an injury AND not even a weeks prep time. Max has them balls though.....and some pockets to put some cash in.
If Max wins....that wouldn't be a bad money maker either. Setting up a rematch in Hawaii. A so called "Champ Champ vs. Champ Champ".

Either way, for MMA fans, exciting times are ahead. I personally am looking forward to Stipe vs. DC.

I could go on. I follow this # religiously. But I'll cut it short.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Ferguson hurt his knee on the Fox Sports set after filming a news segment for them as required under UFC promotion rules in his contract. He tried to tough it out for 2 days before seeing a doctor are being diagnosed with a completely separated LCL which is no joke. There is no way he could fight on that no matter how much painkiller they jacked him up on. He stated his knee was locking up or failing during training.

As for the fight at hand now - IMHO Holloway wins but it may go the distance. I think he'll fight Khabib smart and may chose to go to the ground.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

How do you think he gets past khabib?
That folk style smash he uses is hard to deal with.
AKA apparently brought in a 2 time all America from Penn state for wrestling training and apparently khabib was tooling him.

To be fair sometimes I can't see past my fan boy # when it comes to certain guys and styles though.

I just don't see anyone at 155 that can beat him right now. Remember max fights 145. Much smaller than khabib

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Nah, man. Max Holloway is far from scared. Anything but it.

Vegas rightly has Khabib as a sizable betting favorite, but Vegas also had Money May at -400 during fight week...the 'smart money' is not always so 'smart'.

I'm too invested in Holloway to put any money down, but he's a live dog and a superior athlete and fighter in comparison to T-Ferg. Privately, Khabib and AKA are not happy...or nearly as confident. Be interesting in the coming days to hear what Daniel Cormier says about the opponent switch -- Cormier isn't nearly as hyperbolic as Rogan but is very much as honest...

WAR 'BLESSED'

Was referring to Tony. I don't think any of them are scared of faked injury. But I'm sure max knows he has to stop the takedown or he's in for a really bad night.

Now Khabib just needs to make weight and not go to the hospital again

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

"What's his name" will pretty much HAVE to enter the octagon again. For he is under contract with the UFC.
If no, he'll be sued. Back to ground zero.

UFC contracts don't work like that. They can't force anyone to fight. That's why UFC fighters can turn down whatever opponents they want, can take off a year or so between fights, and can fight as often as they want. The UFC has to offer its contracted fighters x-amount of fights per 12 months, but fighters don't have to accept those either.

However, the UFC can prevent fighters from fighting in another promotion (or allow it with their permission) and can cut their contracted fighters. So "what's his name" can't fight professionally again without breaching his UFC contract unless they release him first. And if never fights again at all, then there's nothing the UFC can do about it other than hold onto that contract in hopes that he eventually un-retires.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

We don't know any of this. None of us know how these contracts are stipulated and they're not all the same. Conor has not fought in over 500 days and was allowed to go to a different sport.

Whitaker pulled out 2 weeks before and took 9 months off and was not stripped.
Tony was stripped.

We dont know The facts of the contracts

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't know much about max but I don't think he is the same level and I find it hard to believe his training partners are as high level either.
Khabib trains every day with Cormier and rockhold.

He is in Brooklyn right now training at renzos. He is gonna get some of the best jiu jitsu in the world right there.
Renzo has killers there plus dudes like Keenan Cornelius and Craig Jones coming in.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Wrong. We do know how these contracts work, and Elightenedservant pegged it fairly accurately. Conor McGregor does NOT have to fight in UFC again; Dana White has said as much. UFC fighters are considered ICs (independent contractors) and UFC is in active antitrust litigation attempting to keep it that way, so as not to be found guilty of exercising a ‘buyer’s monopoly’ (in economic jargon a monopsony). Hell, we even have evidence of this and now know that the UFC no longer exercises ‘tolling’ provisions in their contracts — a provision that effectively extends the length of the contract on a per annum bias without the fighter’s volition; in effect, the removal of these provisions allows UFC to still claim fighters as ICs. We’ll know the exact nature of ALL contracts this summer during the discovery process of the monopsony/monopoly antitrust case...but we ABSOLUTELY know how UFC contracts work (the plaintiffs have provided them to the press in several instances ‘off the record’), and Conor calls the shots. Not the other way around. If you don’t believe it, ask yourself why is he still the ‘champ-champ’? Because he’s orders of magnitude more valuable than the rest of the roster itself...and dat’s just the facts.

ETA: The issue of IC versus employee status will be determined before the National Labor Relations Board in the coming months (likely in parallel with the antitrust case) and the preponderance of current evidence points to them being effectively controlled and therefore employees, particularly during the time period this litigation is being shaped over. My educated guess, the NLRB will see the Reebok mandate and tolling provisions as concrete evidence of an employer-employee relationship and soon thereafter, a big-name DC law firm will round up enough 'elite MMA fighters' (the class cert was based on the term 'elite MMA fighters') and put together a union and a formal CBA will be drafted...the UFC should settle today and keep their golden goose, if they don't, these fighters will be paid based on their marginal revenue product (i.e. finally get paid their 'worth') and that $4.2 billion price tag will look ever-and-ever more like evidence of 'irrational exurberance'.
edit on 3-4-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: NLRB bit discussing employee/IC status

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Good thing you don't know much but are willing to speculate on his training. I know this much: you don't beat the brakes off the greatest featherweight twice by training with cans. But hey, does it really matter who his training partners are? Results suggest it doesn't.

This fight has zero to do with BJJ and everything to do with TDD and straight-up grappling. Again, there's not a training partner or exercise you can engage with/in to mimic Khabib's wrestling. That's why I totally bought Bravo's declaration that ugly Tony would welcome some mat time and look to grab ahold of Khabib's neck...Max can't do that; however, Max does have a 93% TDD and is a far superior ring general than Khabib. Khabib has one tool and it's like Odin's hammer, but it's still one tool. I also believe that Max's differential in fight IQ/acuity is positive and rising (if calculus isn't your thing, he's getting smarter and doing so at an increasing rate) and that pattern is repeating itself with his physical tools. If Max doesn't get The Eagle Saturday night, he'll get him when he's in his full-blown man frame... Max is the superior MMA practitioner, and outside of a gruesome injury or a no-show because Khabib missed weight, they'll run this back in the fall (sorry, Ugly Tony, Uncle Dana said 'no Khabib soup for you! EVER! And I can't really feel bad for the guy -- wearing sunglasses at night on set is so douche-bro I can't find any sympathy...I do feel bad the dip# is losing out on close to 7 figures, however...lesson here? Karma's a bitch?? Don't be a mental midget and take you f#king sunglasses off...???).
Again, I'm too invested in Max emotionally to put down any coin, but my Bovada account may get drained if Holloway enters +400 territory.

At any rate, I'm Brooklyn-down and can't wait to see it live and in-person -- win, lose or draw.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I believe Tony got stripped because it was an interim belt and not THE belt. Though I'm speculating and Dana hasn't elaborated on that point and he was strongly hinting that the winner of TF vs KN would be the THE champion and not Conor.

I hope more details come out about the injury situation. I think the fight will be good either and hope Max wins but not a fanboy about it.

Everyone thought Miocic couldn't take N'gannou and look what happened...

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Good thing you don't know much but are willing to speculate on his training. I know this much: you don't beat the brakes off the greatest featherweight twice by training with cans. But hey, does it really matter who his training partners are? Results suggest it doesn't.

i said i didnt know anything about max and i commented on khabibs training.
what i said is a fact. not making it up. its all out there to see/read/view if you are looking for it.

what i said about khabibs training is correct.

and yeah it matters who your training partners are.

and you dont have to be a dick and make your little snide calculus comments and try to sound fancy with your ring IQ.

can we not just have a conversation about something we both love?

my opinion stands and of course i can be wrong. as i admitted before i am a khabib fanboy. i get blinded sometimes but i do know grappling well.
wrestled a long time. jiu jitsu a long time.
whatever. that dont matter

my opinion is khabib is going to 'smesh'(like he says) max just like he does everyone else.

max fights at 145.
khabib fights at 155. khabib cuts down and max is going to come up. i dont know how much and i dont know what he walks around at but he is taking this fight on short notice. he is fighting above his weight and he is fighting the most dominant wrestler in the ufc at the moment. possibly of all time.

those are all facts

and about the contract #... i could be wrong. 100% could be wrong but i still dont think i am.

either way i dont really care about all that bull#

i want to see khabib smesh max and then i would love to see him smesh conor but the chatter says gsp is interested and so is the ufc.

we will see saturday.

i could be wrong. its happened many times.
as i said. my judgement does get clouded when im fanboy'd out.

when i am not a huge fan of the fighters i make much more impartial predictions.

i think the joanna/thug fight is going to be a much more evenly matched fight. i think the khabib fight is going to go like all his other ones.
takedown/ride and smash

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
I believe Tony got stripped because it was an interim belt and not THE belt. Though I'm speculating and Dana hasn't elaborated on that point and he was strongly hinting that the winner of TF vs KN would be the THE champion and not Conor.

i think he got stripped cause dana is pissed this happened a week out

also he did not hint at anything. he said after this fight whoever wins will be the champ. not interim champ.
he said the champ so all that conor champ champ contract # is whatever

garry tonon just had his debut mma fight in one fc and demolished the guy. standup was shaky of course but he is super high level man.
his leg locks are the #. not really anyone better than tonon at the leglocks except maybe gordon ryan.
within the next 18 months garry tonon will be in the ufc and then we are gonna see some high level #.

he has the skills. he has the charisma. he has the connections too.
trains with danaher at renzo's
been in ebi several times and has a good relationship with eddie bravo.

thats gonna be some good #.

edit on 3-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
also the jiu jitsu shows have been killing it. much better shows than mma as of late
the sakuraba quintet and kasai 2 is next week

then we have the ebi bantamweight ladies with boogey and vagner going combat jiu jitsu

thats where its at for me

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I write like I talk. The best advice I ever got when comes to writing.

Facts are, you said unequivocally:

We don't know any of this. None of us know how these contracts are stipulated and they're not all the same.

Sorry bro, you're dead wrong.

Max's weight is a concern. His nutritionist has said as much. It's tied for the largest cut Lockhart has ever been a part of. But Max just turned 26. If he were Khabib's age or had a history of missing weight, it'd be a legit concern. The only concern, in reality, is his body's ability to recover from Friday AM till Saturday PM and generate peak performance. Initially, Holloway asked for it at 170 lb and UFC went to Ortega and once Ortega accepted it at 155 lb, Max's camp had to agree to it...plus, Max collects PPV points, whereas Khabib will not (that's not to say that he won't get paid commensurately, but because we DO KNOW the ins-and-outs of contracts, we know only champions collect PPV points) and so, we have a possibly drained 155er taking on the -- in all likelihood -- UFC's greatest grappler. There's a reason Vegas has Khabib at -500...

As I said, they'll run this back in the fall and the biggest loser is Ugly Tony (he would've received PPV points that likely approached 7 figures).

Love talking, and I own up to the fact I have little governor in my tone/whatever, but it's never personal (there's a singular individual/member here I have ever truly gotten 'personal' with and it just wasn't worth the time -- I enjoy ATS in spurts and stick to what I like...so don't ever take it personally).

I made plans for this event when it was Ugly Tony versus Khabib. I'm staying in Philadelphia and taking a train in (doing this thing on a shotgun plan and shoestring budget)...I'm pumped about the ENTIRE card...it's simply icing on the cake that I get to see Holloway. And yes, I look forward to the Rose - Joanna fight. Big fan of her and her partner Pat Barry, not much of a fan of Joanna...looks like I'll be rooting for a couple live dogs.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

hey its all good man.
just didnt know where you were coming from

i type exactly like i talk to and a lot of my # gets misconstrued

gonna be the # no matter what

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

yup.

*bro hug*

100% agree that sports jiu-jitsu is the future.

Also, dollars-to-donuts Eddie Bravo is a member here. I am 100% sure he lurks.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join