It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Applause in the Airport? Beyond the Beer Commercial ...SOME GOOD NEWS!

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This thread has totally been side tracked.

this is not about support for troops, or a lack of support. this is about some company using the image of our troops to cash in on the "Support our troops!" bandwagon, and the resulting feel-good fluff story.




posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil

Originally posted by edsinger
If that is all I can do is say thank you , then I will and it would be much more appreciated then some POS protester calling them murderers and such........


Oh but there is so much more you could do!

Go down to your local army recruitment office... and sign right up.

Better yet, if you're going to play the "i'm a mid 40s male who's too old for the military", why not get your kids to sign up?

this whole thread is beyond weak.


[edit on 17-2-2005 by negativenihil]



I was in the Navy... and my kid is only 12 years old !!!

How about you ?



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
This thread has totally been side tracked.

this is not about support for troops, or a lack of support. this is about some company using the image of our troops to cash in on the "Support our troops!" bandwagon, and the resulting feel-good fluff story.




NO, this thread is about supporting our troops, Edsinger doesn't mention in any way that it's about a company "cashing in"...

re-read the opening post in this thread...



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
That's one of the many things I like about Robert Heinlein -- his suggestion for who gets to vote, as outlined in his "Starship Troopers".



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Regardless of your political stance, a company selling a product is supposed to be embraced because it's manipulating emotions for a cause you believe in? And then someone who is calling a Spade a Spade is to be pilloried for seeing the obvious!?!?
Reason is married to impartiality , you know....well, sorry, maybe you don't know that! My bad!

No, BT, it isn't about the company or their product. Annheuser-Busch, wasn't it? I'll buy just as much of their product now as I would have before - zero. I do appreciate their sentiment, however, as well as the majority of servicemen do, with the exception of curme, who only served to take advantage of the benefits the service had to offer ( his words, not mine).

As for calling a spade a spade, well, that's your take on it.

You see it as "seeing the obvious". That's a very narrow interpretation of the responsibilities of our military. It's not seeing the obvious, it's just a crybaby's spiteful hate of our servicemen. He wants to be protected, but spits upon those who do protect him and his girlfriend. He knows he can get away with it in this great country of ours. What a country!

My first post in this thread summed it up. And was reinforced by the posts of LeftBehind and Yorga. You may choose to associate yourself with that type of whiney lib that just hates the sight of a uniform, but I wouldn't have thunk it.

j



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
This thread has totally been side tracked.

this is not about support for troops, or a lack of support. this is about some company using the image of our troops to cash in on the "Support our troops!" bandwagon, and the resulting feel-good fluff story.



Perhaps you should reread the article, it is about applause for the troops. Doesn't say anything about the sponsor. Even so the commerical was done
in good taste. Being a war veteran I see absoluetly nothing wrong with it.
I can't understand how anyone can find fault with it!



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
You see it as "seeing the obvious". That's a very narrow interpretation of the responsibilities of our military. It's not seeing the obvious, it's just a crybaby's spiteful hate of our servicemen. He wants to be protected, but spits upon those who do protect him and his girlfriend. He knows he can get away with it in this great country of ours. What a country!
j


Maybe I need to explain a little better about my original post. My girlfriend rolling her eyes had nothing to do with the troops themselves, it had to do with whatever company it was shamelessly taking advantage of the troops in order to sell their product. It might not make you buy more of their product, but that's the reason they're doing it. Gee, how patriotic Anheuser-Busch is!! You know what, SCREW Miller!!!!

Oh, and I loved the part about the troops protecting me and my girlfriend. And just how might they be doing that right now? It's funny, I think I already know the answer that's coming. I've heard it from Dubya, but go ahead, refresh my memory.

See ya in the morning, I have to go home and give my baby another biscuit.

Peace



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

So, you believe that invading Iraq crippled global terrorism? You think that invading Iraq secured the Indian Point Nuke facility in "our" home state? You think every "terrorist" killed on the corner of Sadaam Ave. & Dinar St. in Iraq keeps them out of Bryant Park on 42nd St & 6th Ave.?
And where's the example of an oxymoron? I'll smash my head in the door a few times to try & see your perspective, but maybe you can save me the blood clean up & explain yourself?


This is about the TROOPS!!! Don't blame them about your insecurities over the war.

(Should we blame the children at the elementary school with the administration we so adamently hate? Perhaps we should go to their recitals and spit on the children because the principle is someone we don't approve of?)

Keep smashing your head. Sooner (or way later) you'll get it. Hopefully.

Edit: Bout time: Good for you, with that smokin hot honey for an avatar & this statement, there might be hope for you after all!

I'm actually hotter than my avatar, ask around.




[edit on 17-2-2005 by SourGrapes]



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
No, BT, it isn't about the company or their product. Annheuser-Busch, wasn't it? I'll buy just as much of their product now as I would have before - zero. I do appreciate their sentiment, however, as well as the majority of servicemen do, with the exception of curme, who only served to take advantage of the benefits the service had to offer ( his words, not mine).

As for calling a spade a spade, well, that's your take on it.

You see it as "seeing the obvious". That's a very narrow interpretation of the responsibilities of our military. It's not seeing the obvious, it's just a crybaby's spiteful hate of our servicemen. He wants to be protected, but spits upon those who do protect him and his girlfriend. He knows he can get away with it in this great country of ours. What a country!

My first post in this thread summed it up. And was reinforced by the posts of LeftBehind and Yorga. You may choose to associate yourself with that type of whiney lib that just hates the sight of a uniform, but I wouldn't have thunk it.

j


I didn't take it as that; and I was in the military. Hell, I was far from rich and looking to get something in return too ....I doubt anybody posting here who was in the military came from Bush or Kennedy type money and was looking to learn how to be productive, educated & disciplined. ...same for the kids enlisting today.
I think it's pretty simple: the Clydesdale Piss Co. was wrapping themselves in the flag to make a buck. It's their perogative. Those who are calling it out are not pissing on soldiers graves by doing so, nor are they "spitting" on "baby killers".



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It seems there has been alot of misunderstanding in this thread. I definitely see the point that AB is trying to make money off the soldiers, I've hated them since they bought Sea World, my favorite childhood destination, and turned it into a beer ad. What's even more upsetting is the apparent inability of this polarized country to find the middle ground, it's lonely here.
I can't stand Bush, and I can't stand many of his policies, but I can see the validity of some of what this administration is trying to accomplish, although I strongly disagree with how they're going about it, especially the whole Iraq thing. It seems every thread turns into libs vs. cons, with each side aggressively defending their "label", possibly without looking within themselves to find out how they personally feel about an issue. Our soldiers should never be blamed for government policies, but I don't think that's happening for the most part here. As for AB, their beer sucks anyways, personally, I like Newcastle, thanks UK!


[edit on 17-2-2005 by 27jd]



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yorga
Coming home from Vietnam, a war that I did not agree with nor did I volunteer for, I was cursed, spat upon and completely humiliated. It is a
scar that runs deep and wide for every Vietnam Veteran. Our beloved country despised and turned it's back on us for something that we
had absolutely no control over. Old men start wars, young men die. Yes,
they signed the dotted line, yes they volunteered for service but each
and everyone of them is wearing the uniform of a United States Soldier.
You as a citizen of this country whether you agree with the war or not
do not have the right to humilate these young people. If you cannot stand
and applaud as they pass by then just keep your f**** mouths shut.
If you can't clap for the ones walking through the Airport then think about
those that are coming back in flag draped caskets! Think about their families and loved ones. Curse Bush, curse the USA, curse the flag. But for God's sake never ever let these returning soldiers feel your disdain. After Vietnam we deserved better, my generation took it on the chin, please just step aside and let these soldiers come home peacefully. They earned that much!


Well said. You may not like Bush, you may not like the USA. But don't disrespect the soldiers that die and have died so that you may live in the freedoms and rights that you have been given. An american citizen is an american citizen, no matter what type of clothing that they are wearing.



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I find it disgusting...


Since you're British, can I ask a question? Is your opinion a majority or minority opinion in the UK (and Europe in general)? I figured the statement that "most Europeans found the ad disgusting" was an exaggeration on the writer of the article's part...



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I'm actually hotter than my avatar, ask around.


Around could not be located for comment, so I guess we'll just have to take your word for it.



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I'm actually hotter than my avatar, ask around.


Around could not be located for comment, so I guess we'll just have to take your word for it.



You're the funniest guy around!



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
You're the funniest guy around!


You mean I was looking for this around, and I was him the whole time?



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Maybe I need to explain a little better about my original post. My girlfriend rolling her eyes had nothing to do with the troops themselves, it had to do with whatever company it was shamelessly taking advantage of the troops in order to sell their product. It might not make you buy more of their product, but that's the reason they're doing it. Gee, how patriotic Anheuser-Busch is!! You know what, SCREW Miller!!!!

Having been a drinker in my previous life, I can tell you with some authority that beer drinkers are not so fickle. They can easily laugh at some ads while continuing to drink their own preferred poison. The only consumer group that beats them out for brand loyalty is the smokers.

Regardless, the point you try to make about AB selling more product because of the ad is very shallow thinking. Maybe AB was being genuine in their thanks to the servicemen. But, according to your thinking, there is no corporation that should say thanks to the troops, lest they be accused of crass commercialism.

No, wait - ads by MoveOn.org would be welcomed by you.



Oh, and I loved the part about the troops protecting me and my girlfriend. And just how might they be doing that right now?

A bit too effectively, IMO, for someone who doesn't appreciate their efforts.



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yorga
Coming home from Vietnam, a war that I did not agree with nor did I volunteer for, I was cursed, spat upon and completely humiliated. It is a
scar that runs deep and wide for every Vietnam Veteran. Our beloved country despised and turned it's back on us for something that we
had absolutely no control over. Old men start wars, young men die. Yes,
they signed the dotted line, yes they volunteered for service but each
and everyone of them is wearing the uniform of a United States Soldier.
You as a citizen of this country whether you agree with the war or not
do not have the right to humilate these young people. If you cannot stand
and applaud as they pass by then just keep your f**** mouths shut.
If you can't clap for the ones walking through the Airport then think about
those that are coming back in flag draped caskets! Think about their families and loved ones. Curse Bush, curse the USA, curse the flag. But for God's sake never ever let these returning soldiers feel your disdain. After Vietnam we deserved better, my generation took it on the chin, please just step aside and let these soldiers come home peacefully. They earned that much!



May I thank you for telling the truth far better than I could...........There is an irony here though, these folks who degrade the troops do it on the internet for if in person, surely some of the troops would kindly help with some free dental work.

Cheers to you, I might not agree with the politics but you are right on target with the troops.



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by SourGrapes
You're the funniest guy around!


You mean I was looking for this around, and I was him the whole time?


Is this a loooooove connection? grrrrrrrrr



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
They're not applauding them for going to war or killing people.

They're applauding them for being the ones on the front line, fighting for freedom, whether it be ours or someone elses. They're applauding them for putting thier lives on the line to protect ours.

I don't agree with our current administrations ideas of the need to take over the middle east, but I'm not going to blame someone who signed up with our armed forces to protect our freedom for doing what they're being told to do.

If you've got a problem with our troops being overseas, don't take it out on the troops, take it out on the people that sent them there.

I would gladly applaud them just as they did in the commercial. And, if I were able, I would gladly stand next to them to protect my freedoms as well.



posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Is this a loooooove connection? grrrrrrrrr


Somebody better turn a hose on us!



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join