It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applause in the Airport? Beyond the Beer Commercial ...SOME GOOD NEWS!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
And now for some good news! It is nice to see that this really happens and that was the best commerical of the whole super bowl imho.

Applause in the Airport? Beyond the Beer Commercial ...
It Happens ... It Really Happens

By Matt Friedeman, PhD
February 10, 2005

(AgapePress) - Rick from Winona, Mississippi, called my state-wide talk radio program this week. Sometimes, you get a phone call that ought to be read in the broader market.

On the program that day we were discussing the report that some Europeans were disgusted with the Super Bowl commercial of American soldiers getting applause in an airport. The critics thought it too extreme in its patriotism and a possible incitement to further war.

At any rate, Rick (he asked us not to use his full name) called to talk about his experience coming back recently from the fields of war. His words (and they are worth your time reading, only lightly edited):

SOURCE

"When I saw the Super Bowl commercial, I just started bawling like a baby again because that was something totally unexpected. We had no idea that people actually appreciated what we're doing, from what we see on the news. We thought we were going to come back and get eggs thrown at us. It was so refreshing to know that what we were seeing on the news is just a bunch of garbage that's being concocted by the media, that 99.9 percent of the country doesn't believe that way.

see what your troops think of what the press and the ones that protest them in the streets think?

[edit on 17-2-2005 by edsinger]

[edit on 17-2-2005 by edsinger]

Odd

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
screw europe... they have their own football, anyway.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
What a stupid thread.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
OH BOO HOO!!!
Why would anyone be "disgusted" with the ad? More likely they just found it another bit of vomit inducing fluffy bunny over-the-top daytime tv type stuff

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Others might not like the thread, but I sure appreciate it. I've had friends going back and forth to Iraq and Afghanistan, and if you saw and heard some of them comments they receive on the streets of Boston, you'd want to start having a field day versus anti-war protesters. Now, I'm not saying that that people don't have the right to free speech, because I'm all for it, but it's funny how some of these people forget that they're given that right. In most countries people don't have the right to be outspoken about their countries military actions, but there's one thing I'd like to see. I'd like to see these people give up their citizenships. If they are that afraid of america and hate being here, then they should just give up their citizenships and plead for political asylum at another country. We don't need our soldiers coming back, if even on leave, to feel like they're worthless. So, I say to everyone, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Independant, etc., you may have your views of the war which we all individually see as different, set them aside, and when our soldiers come home, be proud of them, because after what they've gone through, don't you think they deserve just a little piece of american recognition and acknowledgement? I sure do.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Why not just have a big fawning award ceremony for them too?

We could call them... the Gunnies? And the awards could be shaped like the Iwo Jima memorial (you know, to remind them what struggle looks like).

And you could have celebrities and people inciting their endless love for men and women who kill in their name. Oh! and performances by Dolly Parton and Lee Greenwood! Then you could hand out awards in front of a gigantic waving American Flag as personalities from FoxNews make up tales of how they'd struggle if they were in the military too.

Of course, you'd have to cancel the entire thing out of respect for the troops, thats what everyones doing nowadays isn't it?

Love them alot? Why YOU! can be a true American hero too!! Yes YOU!! If you love our brave men and women then YOU! should jump at the chance to become a hero and defend America TODAY! JOIN NOW!

Army Recruitment Site

.... didn't think so.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
So what problem exactly do you have with citzens showng thier appreciaton for the soldiers nerdling?
Vietnam was one of Americas darkest hours, not becuase we went there to stop communsm, or becase of the war itself, it was one of our darkest hours because of the treatment returning vets received.

BTW nerdling didnt the guy in your avatar get us involved in Vietnam in the first place?
Kinda an interesting avatar for someone who is anti war.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by mwm1331]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
So what problem exactly do you have with citzens showng thier appreciaton for the soldiers nerdling?

It's a shameless marketing ploy to sell more. It's an indefensible act of corporate whoring.

It's not the affection that gets to me, it's the fact that people now feel the need to freely applaud them. I find it disgusting and coming from a military family I know that when people come home from combat they're often plagued with nightmares of what they've done, applauding them when you have NO IDEA of what they've went through is just bad form. I have the utmost respect for those who put themselves in combat but I also understand that they signed their name on the dotted line for exactly that purpose, they are not to be coddled when the contractual agreement is called in.

Just leave them alone, I'm sure all they want to hear is "Welcome Home".

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this Ed. I wish that it would happen to more of our returning heroes. Yes, I believe that they are heroes, men and women.

We recently had a returning company in our local area and citizens went out of their way to be at the airport when they arrived. Possibly, at local level, we do show our appreciation for our men and women doing their duty in the military, where ever it takes them.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It was a very nice commercial and a good reminder to those of us here in the States, that our men and women, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, hsubands, wives... ( okay you get it ) are over there fighting for our safety and freedom !

Right after it aired, I told my G/F, if I was in an airport and the troops were coming home, I'd give them applause and a "thank you".

As a matter of fact, last year at my 15 year high school reunion, one of my classmates, had just gotten back from Afghanistan, he's a forward air controller in the Air Force, attached to the Rangers.

I pulled him to the side and was speaking with him and at the end of the conversation, I shook his hand and told him "thank you".

I don't see why some of you people have a problem with this thread...

Good Job Ed !

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I just can't get my head around the idea of applauding returning troops and "thanking them".
Thank them for what? They are NOT fighting for our safety and freedom but for corporate and economic reasons. The people they are fighting were no threat to the US or the UK. If our leaders stopped dicking about with other countries affairs then the poor troops getting killed or maimed currently wouldn't be there in the first place.
Our leaders then lead the way in telling us all to support the troops and wave the flag, whilst checking their bank balances and stocks in the military suppliers soon as our backs are turned. Look a bit deeper at the reasons for the wars and try to do something about it rather than blindly wave the flag and cheer the troops.

Any loss of life is tragic but those that send the men, women, mothers and fathers to do battle for them care little, they are just tools to be used for political ends.

You don't need to wave a flag or buy a magnetic bumper sticker to care about the welfare of your armed services members.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Why not just have a big fawning award ceremony for them too?

We could call them... the Gunnies? And the awards could be shaped like the Iwo Jima memorial (you know, to remind them what struggle looks like).

And you could have celebrities and people inciting their endless love for men and women who kill in their name. Oh! and performances by Dolly Parton and Lee Greenwood! Then you could hand out awards in front of a gigantic waving American Flag as personalities from FoxNews make up tales of how they'd struggle if they were in the military too.

Of course, you'd have to cancel the entire thing out of respect for the troops, thats what everyones doing nowadays isn't it?

Love them alot? Why YOU! can be a true American hero too!! Yes YOU!! If you love our brave men and women then YOU! should jump at the chance to become a hero and defend America TODAY! JOIN NOW!

Army Recruitment Site

.... didn't think so.

*APPLAUSE*
Excellent sarcastic visual!

Whatever happened with the paid poster investigation?

Originally posted by elevatedone
It was a very nice commercial and a good reminder to those of us here in the States, that our men and women, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, hsubands, wives... ( okay you get it ) are over there fighting for our safety and freedom !

No, they're fighting for Corporate Imperialism & it's being wrapped in the flag so that simple minded folks, who can not grasp the fact that 100% endorsement of the troops does not equal endorsement of the misguided action, can post & endorse bullshyyyte like this thread.
It's remarkable that an adult would even believe that an Invasion of Iraq = secured American Freedom.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
No, they're fighting for Corporate Imperialism & it's being wrapped in the flag so that simple minded folks, who can not grasp the fact that 100% endorsement of the troops does not equal endorsement of the misguided action, can post & endorse bullshyyyte like this thread.
It's remarkable that an adult would even believe that an Invasion of Iraq = secured American Freedom.

Bout Time

You have voted Bout Time for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ok so some random soldier cried over a commercial.

where's the story here?

edit - spelling

[edit on 17-2-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It amazes me that someone could actually bitch about this thread but in the end I am not surprised. What is wrong with what this thread implies? It implies that there are still many Americans that do want to say thanks for what the troops have done and by this negative attitude you spit on those that gave all. Last I checked the American population voted Bush back in and therefore you are in the minority. If you don't like it, move to Canada and dream of late night liaisons with Barbara Streisand!

You antiwar folks love only the bad news that puts your agenda first.

As for them not protecting the home front, that has to be the most naive thing I have ever heard. DENY IGNORANCE don't embrace it.

As for the paid posting comment, I categorically deny that and could care less if you believe it or not, I just have a different outlook on things and find it quite enjoyable to come in here and see what I consider to be plain stupidity from supposedly intelligent people. I voice my opinions and do it for free.....unless you count the cost of my connection then t actually costs me money.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Perhaps the most significant thing that our military can do from the top down, is to remove noxious things from the military arsenal. For example proven bad vaccines, and depleted uranium blowback to our own troops.

By comparison, public support of our troops, while it is a good thing, is superficial compared with the support they deserve. Our current policy on these two things is sadly lacking, while making once desirable factors of military service debatable at best. Do you really want to come home with permanent health situations that the government of the United States refuses to acknowledge? Does your health as a military person matter more than staged applause in a Super Bowl commercial?

Swtich to tungsten for shells, and rigorously test vaccines for safety before making our recruitment so low that you have to draft people, presumably those who are not really savvy enough to care.

You'd be crying too if you could at once appreciate the commercial but not be able to protest what you have faced and will have to face in the future. The problem is blowback for fun and profit, and the beneficiaries are not our soldiers. Another thing is to consider how a Republican congressman got sacked for backing an increase in Veteran's benefits.

It is not all fun and roses in DOD, unless you are a defense contractor, face it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yeah, what the hell is wrong with you flag-waving sheeple idiots, anyway? Don't you know that you are just supposed to assume that the soldier you see in the airport is some mindless killing drone who is working in Iraq for "Corporate Imperialism " so that Bush and his cronies might get even richer in their quest to impose a NWO on the globe?

No chance that the soldier might be returning from a military hospital in Germany, or from a humanitarian mission in the Indian Ocean, or maybe just manning some remote listening outpost in Alaska.

Bush is to be hated, the military is to be categorized as his tool, and besides, they signed on the dotted line and are getting paid for it anyway, so where's the need for the "Thanks, soldier" ?

I didn't get a Thank you for doing my job yesterday; why should they?

You're just a bunch of silly sentimentalists, anyway.
/sarcasm

jso

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Of course I would like to see more done for the troops but in reality, spitting on them when they come back from fighting in what one would consider is an unjust war is just plain sick.

If that is all I can do is say thank you , then I will and it would be much more appreciated then some POS protester calling them murderers and such........

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
If that is all I can do is say thank you , then I will and it would be much more appreciated then some POS protester calling them murderers and such........

Oh but there is so much more you could do!

Go down to your local army recruitment office... and sign right up.

Better yet, if you're going to play the "i'm a mid 40s male who's too old for the military", why not get your kids to sign up?

this whole thread is beyond weak.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Of course I would like to see more done for the troops but in reality, spitting on them when they come back from fighting in what one would consider is an unjust war is just plain sick.

Yeah, but when the "protestor," is simply a paid strawman who works for COINTELPRO, then you have to think twice. The problem is when the government spits on our troops by design, to "divide and conquer," then reduces veterans benefits when you come home with "GWS," or Gulf War syndrome and they tell you to take some Valium or worse.

Support our troops all the way around. And when it comes to tactics, think about things like "community policing," where we can recover those images of a supportive population thanking us, rather than hating us. It is no secret from just a bit of netsurfing on mainstream media sources, that the Iraqis do not currently hold their view of gratitude for relieving them of that terrible tyrant Saddam. They do not, when the current direction of policy and tactics is jejune, ascerbic and bitter at best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join