It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old sues Dick's, Walmart over new gun policies

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

The little people and common folk can address me as Mr. Monkey.

You got it, Slappo.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're right, age limits are totally the same as racial discrimination. I should take up the issue of my 12 year old not being able to buy liquor with the NAACP.

Arbitrary age limits.

If you adhere to the idea that 21 is the legal age for maturity, then you are against abortions below that age, correct?

If sub 21 year olds aren’t responsible enough to buy liquor then they’re certainly not mature enough to have a baby.

Ummm...yet we ship them off to war...to carry a rifle...fight and die...before that magical 21 years of age...

SMH...

What an upside down world we live in...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

that's the whole thing... monies

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

How much of a background is someone under 18 going to have, honestly?

Also, it's not racist to point out that urban areas with a black demographic have shootings and crime, it's just a fact. Right?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
That guy needs to grow a pair and stop crying. If a store want's to restrict who it sells to then so be it. Don't shop there. Shop out of state. Shop online. Etc Etc Etc. Let the Free Market decide.

Just like buying a cake?

This is an age thing like voting, driving, joining the military, buying alchohol. Totally different. We all agree that 5 year olds shouldn't buy guns and that 21 year old people should be able to. The trick is to find that demarcation line...what age should they be able to buy guns.

But yeah, why cry because a store won't sell you a cake or because hobby lobby isn't open on Sundays. Just take your business elsewhere and let the free market decide.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Reydelsol

www.nraila.org...

According to federal law, a person who is 18 years or older can legally, buy a rifle.

From Dealers

Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer`s and purchaser`s states and localities are complied with:

An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual`s state of residence
An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state

In answer to your statement, you're right. They are businesses; They are also federally licensed Firearms dealers. As a federally licensed firearm dealer, you follow federal laws. Federal law states that an individual 18 or older may purchase a firearm, and an individual 21 or older may purchase a handgun.

Federal law trumps store policy every day of the week, regardless of muh free markets and 'businesses can do whatever they want' mantra.

Ever been shopping at Best Buy? They try and stop you at the door and check your receipt to see if you stole anything. Legally, you can tell them to p*ss off and continue on your merry way. Know why? Constitutional rights, including the protection of unreasonable search and seizure.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am telling you.

Sanctuary cities and States for gun owners.

Beat them at their own game.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

How much of a background is someone under 18 going to have, honestly?

Also, it's not racist to point out that urban areas with a black demographic have shootings and crime, it's just a fact. Right?

So pre-judging based on the color of skin and their address is okay for you.

My my.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

You can drive at 16 but can't buy a gun till 21.

So no one has ever died because of teen drivers.

Interesting.
edit on 6-3-2018 by DBCowboy because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
In answer to your statement, you're right. They are businesses; They are also federally licensed Firearms dealers. As a federally licensed firearm dealer, you follow federal laws. Federal law states that an individual 18 or older may purchase a firearm, and an individual 21 or older may purchase a handgun.

This is where the contention will come in, I live in a 'may issue' state and cannot get a CCW unlike if I lived in a 'shall issue' state. The defense will argue that they 'may' only offer to sell.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: eNumbra

You're right, age limits are totally the same as racial discrimination. I should take up the issue of my 12 year old not being able to buy liquor with the NAACP.

Arbitrary age limits.

If you adhere to the idea that 21 is the legal age for maturity, then you are against abortions below that age, correct?

If sub 21 year olds aren’t responsible enough to buy liquor then they’re certainly not mature enough to have a baby.

Ummm...yet we ship them off to war...to carry a rifle...fight and die...before that magical 21 years of age...

SMH...

What an upside down world we live in...

Crazy, right?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Interesting.

I didn't say that. We as a society decided that 16 was old enough to drive and that 18 was old enough to join the military and that 21 was old enough to drink. We as a society need to discuss how old someone needs to be to buy a gun. Then we'll make a law about it. We already did, but we're talking about it now.

However my main point here is who cares if Dick's won't sell you a gun but another store will...grow a pair and go to the other store. How lazy is this person?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And I completely agree with your statement. I live in a "shall" issue state, and I love it.

Back to the point however, I KNOW that's going to be the defense brought up against this lawsuit...... I'm just saying that this lawsuit, however wild, does have some standing.

Whether or not it will go anywhere, I don't have the slightest clue.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

We regulate driving to the hilt.. speed limits, license suspensions, insist on insurance..exc, exc, exc..

If the knuckleheads wouldn’t have fought a registry because they were afraid of black helicopters. There wouldn’t be a need for as many other restrictions.

But when we spend decades handing out guns like candy wrappers, with no skill test or way to track them..

Their value decreases to the point people do not take care of them or treat them with the respect they deserve.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reydelsol

originally posted by: howtonhawky

I was hoping that someone would stand up for their rights.

What rights?

The 2nd Amendment does not apply to businesses only the government. A business has the right to decide who it sells guns too.

The 2nd is irrelevant in this case.

Tell that to the Cake Bakery who couldn't refuse to make a cake for a gay couple.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Who said I was pre-judging anyone? In my scenario the only two factors are already known. And no, I wouldn't sell them to him because he's under 18, if he were over 18 (or in this case 21) sell it to him, I don't care.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Interesting.

I didn't say that. We as a society decided that 16 was old enough to drive and that 18 was old enough to join the military and that 21 was old enough to drink. We as a society need to discuss how old someone needs to be to buy a gun. Then we'll make a law about it. We already did, but we're talking about it now.

However my main point here is who cares if Dick's won't sell you a gun but another store will...grow a pair and go to the other store. How lazy is this person?

Public Accommodation

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

For the lawsuit to have legal standing. You would need a precedent set

There is no precedent set.

It is funny how the same people who were (rightfully) up in arms about gay wedding cakes, are all the sudden horrified by a private buisness putting an age restrictions on guns they sell.

edit on 6-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: pavil
So can Dicks sell to a 15 year old then, since they can choose who to sell to?

If the State has determined an age of purchase, stores there have to follow those State's laws, do they not?

You're asking the wrong question. The law says "you may not sell a gun to anyone under 18. "The law does not say "You must sell a gun to anyone over 18."
A better question is, "Is all discrimination unlawful?" The answer is no. It is only unlawful if a particular law or the Constitution says it is. If I own a gunstore I can lawfully refuse to sell a gun to anyone with red hair, or green eyes, or anyone named Ed. There is no law protecting redheaded, green eyed Eds. I may not refuse to sell on account of race, national origin, sex, or disability because the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the ADA say I can't.

link   

Interesting.

Public Accommodation

It's people like this special snowflake that feel entitled for everything in life instead of working for it, that is one of the biggest problems in this country.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join