It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old sues Dick's, Walmart over new gun policies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Reydelsol

Still pushing that strawman.

Chances are if you were to get banned YOU would actually have done something to deserve it.

Unlike that 20 year old in the op.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

No, you agree to terms and conditions during registration.

Just like when you walk in a store!

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'd have no problem with Dicks and Walmart refusing to sell guns to people who were under 21 if it wasn't for the bakery that was fined for not making a cake for a gay wedding. It used to be that a business had the right to refuse service to anyone, not any more. All of the arguments here that favor Dicks and Walmart can be applied to that bakery as well.

The Left made it's bed, now it has to lie in it. I hope the kid wins big. If he doesn't, I hope that the bakery's lawyer is paying attention. Any decision that supports Dicks and Walmart gives him a reason for appeal.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Honestly I think this is more likely to end with Dicks simply pulling firearms from all their stores, or at least the ones where the law doesn’t specifically state age based restrictions on certain firearms.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Age has been held as a protected class by SCOTUS, so the kid has a discrimination case.

The 20yo will get a token settlement to go away, and his lawyers will get 75%

Walmart and Dicks will get out of the firearms business altogether, well what little bit they are in it with their horrible selection, prices, and ignorant sales staff.

Support your local gun store.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Bluntone22

No, you agree to terms and conditions during registration.

Just like when you walk in a store!

No gay wedding cakes must be fine then.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

but you can be 18 and be given an ACTUAL assault rifle so you can go murder people in the desert..so the government can have oil.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Chances are if you were to get banned YOU would actually have done something to deserve it.

But I would not have had a trial, so my right to due process and to be considered innocent until proven guilty is violated.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

but you can be 18 and be given an ACTUAL assault rifle so you can go murder people in the desert..so the government can have oil.

Or they can be marched out on national stage and lobby to take your right away.

But no boom stick.,

Or they can smoke all the weed they want at any age.

Or they can get an abortion way under the age of 21.

But no boom stick,

The cognitive dissonance is epic.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reydelsol

But I would not have had a trial, so my right to due process and to be considered innocent until proven guilty is violated.

Well that's 75+ years too late since all gun control violates that concept.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You're debating somebody who doesn't even agree with the notion of background checks for firearms purchases, which is something even the NRA and the ACLU have managed to more or less agree with.

Once you understand that, the futility of any sort of rational discussion on the subject becomes clear.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Honestly I think this is more likely to end with Dicks simply pulling firearms from all their stores, or at least the ones where the law doesn’t specifically state age based restrictions on certain firearms.

that would deescalate the situation but things need clearing up in the discrimination aspects of our society. That would let the free market take over and allow for monies dicks is pocketing to go into smaller businesses. Then there would be more choices for the youngsters to protect their rights. IMO The main problem here is cornering a majority of a market then discriminating against select groups for no valid reason.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Age has been held as a protected class by SCOTUS, so the kid has a discrimination case.

Walmart and Dicks will get out of the firearms business altogether, well what little bit they are in it with their horrible selection, prices, and ignorant sales staff.

This does make for interesting territory for movie theaters, though. There’s no legal statute demanding that MPAA ratings be enforced, and is a completely voluntary system of enforcement left to the companies.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

This does make for interesting territory for movie theaters, though. There’s no legal statute demanding that MPAA ratings be enforced, and is a completely voluntary system of enforcement left to the companies.

And video games. What oh what shall become of those age restriction sections in the EULAs?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You're debating somebody who doesn't even agree with the notion of background checks for firearms purchases, which is something even the NRA and the ACLU have managed to more or less agree with.

Once you understand that, the futility of any sort of rational discussion on the subject becomes clear.

nics has problems

due process must run it's coarse

the number one failure that could have saved many lives in the past shootings is the nics system

clean it up without breaking anyone's rights and we will have made progress toward stopping future shootings based on statics unlike picking on young adults because they are vulnerable easy target for tptb.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

So effing what?

Both are abject failures.

The Fifth Amendment creates a number of rights relevant to both criminal and civil legal proceedings. In criminal cases, the Fifth Amendment guarantees the right to a grand jury, forbids “double jeopardy,” and protects against self-incrimination. It also requires that “due process of law” be part of any proceeding that denies a citizen “life, liberty or property” and requires the government to compensate citizens when it takes private property for public use.

www.law.cornell.edu...

The background check violates that law.

ATF form 4473 is self incrimination with was suppose to be verboten.
edit on 6-3-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

My understanding is age is only protected in federal law with regard employment, not public accommodation. Happy to be corrected however.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

Its a valid argument .

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

nics has problems

Very much so. And expanding the program without addressing the issues it currently has isn't going to do anything to "fix" the problems with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reydelsol

That 20 year old has those rights to speech,voting, the others that deal with due process.

You dont have freedom of speech in regards to corporations.

Just try breaking the T&C on ATS on abusive speech and see whats happens.

You have to break the T&C to get banned. What did the Young Adult do to warrant a punishment of not being able to purchase and being of legal age to purchase?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

My understanding is age is only protected in federal law with regard employment, not public accommodation. Happy to be corrected however.

He filed in state court under state place of public accommodation laws, which cover age based discrimination in Oregon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join