It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age limit on AR-15's?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Tuesday setting an age limit for buying AR-15-type assault rifles, the type purchased legally by a teenager who shot dead 17 people at a Florida high school last week, was under consideration. "I think that's certainly something that's on the table for us to discuss and that we expect to come up over the next couple of weeks," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said at a daily briefing when asked if President Donald Trump believed there should be an age limit for the purchase of AR-15-type rifles.

I think some education is necessary for the public on this. AR-15's aren't different than several other weapons platforms, other than their color.
This would not be an intelligent choice in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Mom or dad buys it for the kid. Kid takes dad's rifle. On and on.

The only deterrent might be jail for having possession in public. But if a person is planning murder, the law and punishment is already being ignored.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The public really, really does need to be educated- but they won't be.
The people screaming for these new regulations DO NOT WANT to learn.

Any number of firearms are just as deadly, if not moreso.

I'd argue an SKS, unmodified, is just as deadly- especially at close range.
They cost less, and are made wood and steel. They don't look nearly as "scary"

link   

I think they simply need to tie that age limit to the Voting Age, the Drinking Age, the minimum Service Age (they issue machine guns and tanks to people there) and maybe even the Age of Consent.

Tie it all up with one big bow. Bet you'd see everyone stop and start thinking if that was the consideration

link   
Personally I think that you should not be able to legally own any gun before you’re 21.

It’s madness that you can be too young to get drunk but still old enough to own a gun.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Mom or dad buys it for the kid. Kid takes dad's rifle. On and on.

The only deterrent might be jail for having possession in public. But if a person is planning murder, the law and punishment is already being ignored.

Yup... jail for possession in public would make a huge difference in stopping someone trying to take it to a gun-free-zone. Clearly that one extra law would stop them.

Damn! I'm only willing to break fifty laws to kill all those kids, but now its fifty-three! Guess I'll just go do my homework.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Personally I think that you should not be able to legally own any gun before you’re 21.

It’s madness that you can be too young to get drunk but still old enough to own a gun.

You can join the military at 18- but you can't buy a six pack.

Maybe we should lower the drinking age, instead.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I am not against the idea of it, but yea like you said any number of guns with a wooden stock are the same and nobody cares about those.

So once again this would be a feel good idea that actually does squat but they can then go we did something...

link   

The final report concluded the ban’s success in reducing crimes committed with banned guns was “mixed.” Gun crimes involving assault weapons declined. However, that decline was “offset throughout at least the late 1990s by steady or rising use of other guns equipped with [large-capacity magazines].”

www.factcheck.org...

the above is in relation to the "assault weapons ban" of 1994.

this is the point of being afraid of the AR-15 platform out of ignorance. The mini 14 (Ruger) looks like a common wooden stock rifle, yet it fires the same round as the AR, and can have 30 round clips as well. But it's not black. (racist.)

link   
Age limit on AR-15's?

No GD.

There's no age requirement on the first.

18 gets to vote.

Making up some asinine requirement for the second?

NO.

Geezus we let them behind the wheel of car at 16.

15 with learners permit.

link   
I think age restriction on firearm ownership is worth considering...and don't get me wrong, I'm pro firearm ownership. I fired my first full auto rifle at 14 (M-16) but under strict adult control. Maybe some type of supervised usage for young shooters?...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

That is a totally different issue however.

The point I am making is that it seems bonkers to say you cannot walk into a shop and buy a beer but you can by a AR-15 and as much ammunition you want.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I am not against the idea of it, but yea like you said any number of guns with a wooden stock are the same and nobody cares about those.

So once again this would be a feel good idea that actually does squat but they can then go we did something...

YES. if we are going to do something, do something worth while. Placating the masses with something stupid won't save lives. And if not to save lives, WTF is this all about?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So why not say there should be no age limit?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
Maybe some type of supervised usage for young shooters?...

I call it "dad".

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

True. It was my dad who hammered home firearm safety into me at a very young age.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I don't believe you're eligible for a background check if you're not legally an adult- the state wont generally keep extensive records on you before that point.

Of course, being a legal adult who can't buy a beer is pretty stupid. Maybe raise the age of consent to 21 and stop recruiting for the military straight out of high school?

Nah, couldn't do that.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Because the GD Bill of Rights says people get due process where crimes are proven in courts of law.

You can't hold 300 million+ people answerable to a capital or otherwise infamous crime of a single individual.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If they are old enough to die fighting for their country, they’re old enough to buy a rifle. If the government think 18 is too young to buy a rifle then they should first increase military age to what they consider is old enough.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

That is a totally different issue however.

The point I am making is that it seems bonkers to say you cannot walk into a shop and buy a beer but you can by a AR-15 and as much ammunition you want.

Got to remember, (its been a few years since I looked) but there is only about 300 deaths by long guns per year in the US, while the number killed by a handgun is much higher. So in that respect odds are better that a long gun sale will not result in people being killed versus a handgun.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join