It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age limit on AR-15's?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
No, but can we put an age limit on Florida drivers?

It's more realistic than the media gun problem.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: neo96

So why not say there should be no age limit?

Because the GD Bill of Rights says people get due process where crimes are proven in courts of law.

You can't hold 300 million+ people answerable to a capital or otherwise infamous crime of a single individual.

That’s all very nice but does not really answer my question,

If there is no age limit on the first amendment then do you think that there should be no age requirement on the second?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
a reply to: network dude

True. It was my dad who hammered home firearm safety into me at a very young age.

I wasn't privy to any such thing. My first firearm experience was with a good friend, the day I bought my first pistol. All of my firearm safety experience came from this thing called 'common sense' people used to have.

Never once had a bullet go anywhere I didn't intend for it to go, though.

However, I've seen how much common sense the common man has, and I think that having parents teach their children about firearm safety would be the way to go.
Granted, I also remember schools that had firearm safety courses and indoor rifle ranges - public classes on safe use and maintenance of such tools should be part of public schooling. Every single child coming out of a public school should understand how to operate these things.

But we can't do that- it would totally destroy the narrative of ignorant fear we've got going, and if we're ever to progress out of this monarch to a full fledged dictatorship, we'll need to get the citizens nice and dumb first.

link   

originally posted by: joemoe

If they are old enough to die fighting for their country, they’re old enough to buy a rifle. If the government think 18 is too young to buy a rifle then they should first increase military age to what they consider is old enough.

The military is voluntary. Military personnel, sure.

link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Flatcoat
Maybe some type of supervised usage for young shooters?...

I call it "dad".

I was taken to a gun range at 8 with my .410 side by, and he let me bang away (making certain nobody was at risk obviously) and have fun.
then he stopped me put a watermelon up pretty close and asked me about my mom and my sister and do you love them (that sort of thing)then he helped me shoot the melon, while we were standing there looking at it he told me if you play with this and shoot your mom or sister that is what will happen and there is no saving them.

Might have scarred me a bit, but I also never grabbed one of the guns to play with it either..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I love how all the totalitarians want me to have less rights and for no logical reason. Only a fascist would try to limit the rights of their fellow citizens.

It is funny how loud they scream if someone tries to limit a right they actually care about...and some of those rights aren't even Constitutionally protected like the 2nd.

edit on 2018/2/20 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

If they are old enough to die fighting for their country, they’re old enough to buy a rifle. If the government think 18 is too young to buy a rifle then they should first increase military age to what they consider is old enough.

Yea but we are not trusted enough to keep a gun in my quarters on base, it has to be in the armory.

I was trusted to work around Nukes but... gawd forbid I have a handgun.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
im pro gun.. i think the age for all gun purchases should be raised 21
edit on 20-2-2018 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Maybe if kids were allowed to get drunk they would care less about the things that make shooters shoot.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

Maybe if kids were allowed to get drunk they would care less about the things that make shooters shoot.

Could explain French kids

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: roadgravel

Yea but we are not trusted enough to keep a gun in my quarters on base, it has to be in the armory.

I was trusted to work around Nukes but... gawd forbid I have a handgun.

I always thought that was odd. It almost as if the military knows some bad is inevitable.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

According to the Bill of Rights.

You've no right to ask.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I learned gun safety from my grandfather. My dad was against them. Now, he isn't sure, but he is too old to worry about changing. (his words) But I taught my kids, and they all own the .22lr rifles their grandpa left to them. I let my oldest have the single shot 20 gauge. I taught her it would be used better as a club, since shooting it will likely hurt her more than the target. (it's a really awful weapon)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

According to the Bill of Rights.

You've no right to ask.

Well I am asking so I guess I do have a right to ask.

Now it is also your right to refuse to answer the question however I think that kind of starts to undermine your position on this.

Again do you think ages limits in buying guns should be abolished??

I am asking your view just to be clear.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Personally I think that you should not be able to legally own any gun before you’re 21.

It’s madness that you can be too young to get drunk but still old enough to own a gun.

Actually the madness is that you're considered old enough to sign your financial future away on student loans and credit cards at 18, you're old enough to automatically be charged as an adult on any crime you commit, you're old enough for the country to order you off to some foreign land to die with a full auto rifle in your hand, a haircut that's more nerve endings than buzz cut, and your psyche broken down to be rebuilt in whatever image your drill instructor is ordered to rebuild it in... but you're not old enough to buy a beer, to buy smokes or dip in many states, and now possibly not old enough to fully exercise one of the Rights you are considered old enough to die in defense of...

Yeah, America is screwed up, but these antigun hawks are by far the screwiest.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think its worth considering depending on the details. The main benefit of this is that if you raise the minimum age of ownership, it gives more time for some of these nutters to end up getting themselves charged with an unrelated crime that lands them in the NICS database as a prohibited buyer. Its already been established that such a minimum age can exist above the age of 18 as well, given that Federal law requires a buyer be 21 to purchase a handgun.

edit on 20-2-2018 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The first thing my dad ever taught me was that old chestnut "a gun is always loaded", but I still live by it to this day...even though I'm an aussie and and can't even legally own a slingshot now....but yes, my dad's guidance was very important.

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

they are only talking about banning the frightening looking gunz. paint them pink, and all is well.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ok so what age do you believe a individual should be able to buy any legal gun at?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Funny, that's what I called it, too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join