It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age limit on AR-15's?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ok so what age do you believe a individual should be able to buy any legal gun at?

18 for direct purchase, but that's more because 18 is an appropriate age for a financial transaction of that scale, IMO.

Look, my 10 YO and my 11 YO just successfully completed their hunter safety training last week. Both own their own firearms and both have extensive experience shooting AR platform rifles at the range and in the field. Firearms aren't scary, they're not toys, but they're not scary.

ETA: I also think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 alongside the legal smoking age. 18 is considered the legal age of responsibility in most matters... if an 18 year old is expected to be responsible enough to sign themselves into major debt, then I reckon we can trust them enough to allow full exercise of their Constitutional Rights, ya?
edit on 20-2-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly
im pro gun.. i think the age for all gun purchases should be raised 21

Then we should also change the age requirement for enlisting in the military? And registering for the draft?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well I am asking so I guess I do have a right to ask.

No you don't.

hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankindrequires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

www.ushistory.org...

End here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That’s all very nice and all but I have as much right as anyone else to ask whatever the hell I want on ATS within the T&Cs

Just like you also have that right and the right to refuse to answer the question

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
let me guess %5 of everyone arguing about this have actually held or fired an AR-15 and even less understand caliber and rate of fire and all of that?

I'm probably at least close, maybe %10

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

That’s all very nice and all but I have as much right as anyone else to ask whatever the hell I want on ATS within the T&Cs

Just like you also have that right and the right to refuse to answer the question

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
let me guess %5 of everyone arguing about this have actually held or fired an AR-15 and even less understand caliber and rate of fire and all of that?

Let's find out.

Have.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I have honestly never fired one

Shot off a few shot guns though.

I have also never shot off a nuke so I guess I shouldn’t have a opinion on them either right

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Look, my 10 YO and my 11 YO just successfully completed their hunter safety training last week.

I think I had my first rifle at roughly the same age and I live in goddamn New Jersey which isn't exactly the hunting capital of the country. Was I excited to get a gun? Yeah. But the lessons the old man taught me were much more important than that Remington.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

The only deterrent might be jail for having possession in public. But if a person is planning murder, the law and punishment is already being ignored.

What I would like to see is the requirement to have guns secured in any house that has anyone in the house under the age of 21 or anyone deemed mentally not responsible around guns. Fines and gun confiscation would work for me.

As to planning murder there is not much you can do to deter it since there is no law that would affect such a person.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

As to planning murder there is not much you can do to deter it since there is no law that would affect such a person.

I'm all for pre-crime. Put some hot looking precog in a Jacuzzi and let her read everyone's mind.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That might be reasonable but it won't be acceptable to many.

In that light:

It was said that the recent shooter had his rifles locked up and the "head of the house" had the key.

Hint: Just about every lock has two keys, not to mention duplication.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Absolutely.

Those are the lessons that stick.

Amazing what happens when parents are, well, parents.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think I had my first rifle at roughly the same age and I live in goddamn New Jersey which isn't exactly the hunting capital of the country. Was I excited to get a gun? Yeah. But the lessons the old man taught me were much more important than that Remington.

My boys have been shooting a M4 .556 and 300 BK since they were about 7, and hand guns since about 10...AR much easier to shoot than a hand gun hence the age differences.

BUT they been locked up in a big safe for the last 20 plus years when not in use that neither of my kids know the combo to it. I have a gun in my bed room that until they were about 15 didn't even know it was there. The gun is in one place and the mags are in another place so it is not loaded, but it would take me seconds to load. Our bedroom is simi off-limits as in unless you have a reason to go there you most likely don't need to be there. It is completely off limits to any other kids that might come over to our house with big trouble if that rule is broken.

Gun control starts in the home and if people can not handle that responsibility then they have no business owning guns.

edit on 20-2-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen

originally posted by: Jiggly
im pro gun.. i think the age for all gun purchases should be raised 21

Then we should also change the age requirement for enlisting in the military? And registering for the draft?

Yes, we should!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
In Law, the real law (common law), you are an infant until age 21, you at 21 you are sui juris and you have all the rights of an adult. They cannot take the required age above 21 with violating the 2nd Amendment for that group. This is why 21 is the oldest restriction age concerning drinking and used to be voting until politicians found that group an impressionable bunch. They certainly can require the age to be 21, but on the state level. The feds have no territorial jurisdiction, despite what you hear. Title 18 Section 7 defines all the territorial jurisdiction of the United States government. Read it. 3 pages.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

That’s all very nice and all but I have as much right as anyone else to ask whatever the hell I want on ATS within the T&C

No you don't.

As far as civil liberty goes.

Inalienable rights.

That's not up for discussion because those rights do not come from each other.

There is no debate to be had.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Ok well next time you ask any kind of question I will remind you of that.....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well, it has been a few years since we have chipped away at gun rights and age restrictions seem to be the new weasel words. So what does the Constitution say? Well, nothing on guns, but we do have the 26th on voting. Not much on language for justification of dropping the voting age from 21 to 18. So let’s turn to history.

It was first proposed in Congress in 1941 to lower the voting age and the 26th was ratified in 1971 under everyone’s favorite presiden to hate, Nixon. The 26th was in response to the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the automatic assumption of the 14th granting the power to set the voting age as well.

So why do we keep drinking age at 21, when most states were 18 for beer and 21 for wine and liquor? Handguns are already 21 to purchase as well with 18 for long guns. If the age of majority is 18, then bumping or keeping things at 21 seems a bit out of sorts. Sounds like we need a Court ruling on the matter.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Another stupid suggestion, making laws against crime to stop crime...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join