It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Defense in AU

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Where in oz did this happen?

I cannot remember now, I might try to find the report if it's on YouTube.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I made a thread on this issue because they need to be told how dumb it is.

How dumb what is?

How dumb it is to act like a person is insane for wanting to defend their home and how dumb it is to tell them the best course of action is to play hide and seek with a criminal until the police arrive.
edit on 5/2/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Funny this thread comes up now.

My wife is losing her # over the house being built behind us. So much so that she wants to move!

It's chinese new year and that's when people get robbed.

They just put up the bamboo scaffolding, it's close but unless the thieves are Crouching Tiger skilled, they won't be getting in from the rooftop.

We had a guy come and check out the security on sunday, not a lot we can do when the house is built and the roofs are 8-10 ft apart.
I'm going with cctv and booby traps on the stairs. A bail of razor wire around the roof wall would do, I'm sure. Electrified.

She is worried about them killing our 3 dogs. Me too but not as much as she is. Borderline Clinical Paranoia.

No guns allowed here in HK so I have plenty sharp blades in every room, a Katana she bought in the Philippines is sweet.
Can I use it? Yeah, well enough for defence.

She is looking at houses to move to this very minute.

I doubt the cops would press charges for any home defence short of blowing someone's head off with an illegal gun, so I'm not worried about the govt.

It comes down to the dogs being harmed when we are not home. Poison is the common method here. 11 dogs in the area so far. Large area but still close enough.

I don't know how to calm her.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Ok I found the report on YouTube, get a load of this... if you're American I highly suggest taking a look:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Razor wire seems like a bit much honestly, especially if you have dogs... just get some good security windows and doors and rely on your blades if someone manages to get inside.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Also I just want to point out I'm a very empathic person and I can feel empathy even for criminals. This is why in the past I've argued that we should try to treat prisoners in a less degrading manner, they shouldn't have to live in a tiny cement cell with a toilet in the corner which they have to use in front of their cell mate. We should have a higher focus on rehabilitating them into society instead of treating them as sub-human people, because that will only make it less likely for them to integrate back into society once they get released.

Having said that, the reason I believe people should have a right to defend their home is because the intruder forfeits any rights they have to safety the moment they decide to break into a private premises they don't own. They simply cannot expect to enter the home of another person uninvited and do what ever they want without the home owner using force against them. I get that people can get desperate and do dumb things but that isn't an excuse nor does it give them immunity to being hurt when committing a crime.
edit on 6/2/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Another way of saying run n hide is ...surrender to the invasion

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I'm not sure anyone with at least 1 brain cell would disagree about defending our homes from invasion.

I am curious where in oz you feel the need to clutch a weapon to sleep at night, I can imagine up north Queensland and outback areas one might feel a little insecure but for the most part, at least so far were pretty sweet .

edit on 6-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Where I am has had a bit of an uptick in break ins.

It’s usually kids, one recently got caught and charged with over 30 offences, he is 15, and got out on bail.

edit on 6/2/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I’ve been thinking about modifying a dog tennis ball launcher to launch...erm...slightly more painful tennis balls a lot harder.

I don’t wanna kill the little bastards, but I’d like them to remember it...and not get in trouble with the boys in blue.

Not Rambo enough?

edit on 6/2/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Sounds like a modified potato gun, 90mm PVC pipe is great...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Where I am has had a bit of an uptick in break ins.

It’s usually kids, one recently got caught and charged with over 30 offences, he is 15, and got out on bail.

That's good stuff there, you sold it short . The media would have ran with " illegal immigrants crime wave in WA, break ins increased by 132%, authorities at a loss on how to cope "
edit on 6-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I am curious where in oz you feel the need to clutch a weapon to sleep at night, I can imagine up north Queensland and outback areas one might feel a little insecure but for the most part, at least so far were pretty sweet .

I doubt anyone actually clutches a weapon as they sleep, and there aren't many places in Australia where crime is bad enough that you need to always worry about someone breaking into your house. That's not really the point though, if a person feels more secure by having a weapon in their home then that's their choice... especially if it's just something like a cross-bow, and to claim they are insane for doing such a thing really ticks me off.
edit on 6/2/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I know this isn't even close to the same as actually owning a firearm but one recommendation I would suggest is a high quality laser pointer. In the dead of the night that laser cutting through the darkness coupled with your most intimidating and authoritative voice saying "I have a loaded .45 and if you are still out there when I come out, I will shoot to kill!" might just be enough for an intruder to not second guess it, it would help sell if if you have a BB gun or something you can rack to simulate the sound of a round being chambered. The actual sound of a shotgun chambering in the dark is enough to make most intruders S their pants. Oh and I'd also have some sort of hand weapon at the very least, hatchets are pretty good because their weight balance makes them ideal for throwing, also lasers directly to the eye can blind maybe even permanently. Again I know it's not an actual firearm but in the absence of weapons or force sometimes the best option is to project force as convincingly as possible.
edit on 6-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

The exact opposite of illegal immigrants actually.

All they get is a slap on the wrist and are back on the streets.

There are murmurs of locals taking things into their own hands, so if it does keep on going, vigilantism feels like a pretty good option.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

90mm is huge!

I have thought about a home made beanbag gun, needs to be light and easy to reload and recharge. Not generally traits of the backyard spud gun.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

And so it should, if you feel you need to a weapon to defend your home you should damn well have one, if the authorities say otherwise they had damn well have an instant response team available otherwise they can kiss my....

Self preservation is not insane it's human nature, the message is certainly confusing as it it against one of our most primal needs.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Can you wield a boomerang for self defense?

Yeah but if you miss you're #####ed.

edit on 6-2-2018 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

wow what a hit piece that was on those folks wanting to protect their neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Pretty damn disgusting right... I also love how they refer to these guys as a "militia"... lmfao some guys with a cross-bow and nunchucks do not make a militia. Well if you're a complete cry baby then I guess you would be scared by a guy with a pair of nunchucks haha.

Another point I think worth mentioning is that most people are no where near as confrontational as the average person on ATS so it may be unfair to tell them they should try to scare away the intruder with a weapon. I get that some people would be better off hiding.

But for those people who do have the courage to protect their own home and family they should not be demonized for it. It feels to me like our leaders want to get rid of those people and make everyone think they need the government to protect them, it's encouraging a nanny state mentality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join