It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it foolish to dismiss religion as just superstition?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: AMPTAH
When asked how to pray, Jesus taught prayer directly to the Father thus, "Our Father who art in Heaven..."
Jesus isn't mentioned in the prayer which he himself taught us to pray.

Yeah, but he also very clearly said, "The only way to the Father is through me." (John 14:6)

What an ego on that guy.
But it is the TRUTH, however radical it may sound.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I was raised Methodist. Did all the church stuff.
Became atheist about 8 years back, but always questioned long before that.

I just can't take any religion seriously. It's all silly; like adults believing in an adult version of Santa Claus.
An interesting difference between a believer and an atheist is that the Atheist doesn't believe in any of the 320,000,000 god beings, while the religious believer doesn't believe in 319,999,999 god beings. They claim all are myths or never existed except their personally believed in god being. No one realizes that, if Mr Religious USA was born in Arabia, he'd be Muslim. If he were born in Asia, he'd no doubt be Buddhist, or Hindi. Etc etc etc (there are 4200 religions in the world as of right now). So many religions (thousands of them and millions of different god beings), if there were just one "real and correct god", well.... You get the point. Area of birth decides the religion one is raised under, not a Supreme invisible being in the sky.
And god's are so evil. Have you read how many people and babies the Bible god murders - and the Bible devil kills 10 . Literally 10. Egh. Fables and myths. But so so horrifying. The xtian god definitely is not about peace. He's vengeful. Angry. Psychotic. Glad it's a myth.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I always think that the scientific version of reality is pretty weird, and requires a fair amount of faith as well. Think about it.

The entire universe formed out of basically nothing, from a particle smaller than an atom, that just sort of arbitrarily randomly came into existence from nothing for no reason.

The atoms in our universe just happen to be able to come together in complex ways to form molecules, which can just happen to combine in ways to form living organisms among other things. These organisms eventually became more and more complex to eventually become us.

The Earth is only 7000 miles across, which on the scale of the universe is beyond microscopic, yet we have this beautiful planet with its oceans, mountains, forests, and living beings.

The universe itself is filled with almost limitless stars and planets, and most likely limitless life. I think the latest figure is two TRILLION galaxies, each containing roughly 100 billion stars most with a revenue of planets and possible life. All that complexity and existence and it all came into being from a small microscopic particle from nothing, randomly for no reason. And science also tells us that there may be a limitless number of universes as well.

How is this world view any more far fetched than the idea that some conscious intelligent being is behind it all for a purpose?

I have always felt that science will eventually discover God. Once we get advanced enough in our thinking and our technology, we will realize that science and God are not mutually exclusive.

edit on 4-2-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Raggedyman

1) Jesus is God.

2 ) Jesus died on the cross for your sins.

3) There are a hundred more, but most importantly just believe all of them. Doubt is the devil, if you doubt you will go to a nonexistent place called Eternal Hell.

The bible calls christians to have faith over and over again, because we doubt constantly
Doubt is not the devil, doubt is very human
You dont know what you are talking about, of the three, you were oh, so close

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
I always think that the scientific version of reality is pretty weird, and requires a fair amount of faith as well. Think about it.

I agree, it annoys me that atheists refuse to accept that their beliefs have any faith attachment at all.
The beginning of life on earth has 3 options...

Intelligently guided magic, Panspermia or Abiogenesis.
Until one is proved they are all faith options.

The only thing I really disagree with is...

All that complexity and existence and it all came into being from a small microscopic particle from nothing, randomly for no reason.

What we perceive as time started with the big bang.
Things cannot change without time.
Therefore there must be another form of time that we cannot understand otherwise the big bang could not have happened. And this extra dimension of "magic" time cannot fall within the 10'ish dimensions that string theory suggests. So not only are there 6'ish dimensions we cannot comprehend, there's prior dimensions which gave rise to those.

The answers are beyond our understanding and god is an attempt to understand.
I think that it's scientifically proven that we CANNOT understand.

Which leads me to believe that science and god are provably mutually exclusive.
God may exist, but anyone who claims knowledge is either a fraud or an idiot.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Until someone proves what happens to us after death, all religions are merely beliefs.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Until someone proves what happens to us after death, all religions are merely beliefs.

I agree 100%.
Both science and religion cannot answer that question.

You need faith to dismiss and you need faith to believe.

Which is why looking for truth is silly.
There is no truth.

Which brings it back to the OP.
Perhaps the bible has no objective truth, personally that's what I believe.

That doesn't mean that it has no value.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

That isn't true. You only know what you know personally. If you have no relationship with God, it is less likely you would know him. But many people DO know him. It isn't something that can be proven, except to you alone personally. That is how it begins, with a willingness to believe first. People who won't do that (might) forfeit any chance of that knowledge becoming a reality.

edit on 4-2-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Are you incapable of being mislead?

As an atheist I cannot disprove the idea that I'm an unwilling servant of the devil to push people away from god.
Perhaps I'm just being manipulated.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I dont believe in religion as our civilization has made it, or it evolved.

I find it useful and important. Misunderstood when codified, but not entirely bogus.

Most probably think Im an atheist, but thats the farthest thing from the truth.

I have been focussed on God my whole life.

I oppose religion. I never want to see it gone completely. I do want it to evolve more. Its absurd now mostly.

edit on 2 4 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Are you incapable of being mislead?

As an atheist I cannot disprove the idea that I'm an unwilling servant of the devil to push people away from god.
Perhaps I'm just being manipulated.

I am not incapable of being mislead, no one is totally immune to that, you just have to keep very alert and reject all temptations to do things you shouldn't do.

When a person loves God and obeys his rules and resists temptation, they have a lot of protection spiritually, but sometimes temptations still are allowed to come through. When they do I am rejecting them. It has taken me a lifetime to understand how important that is for me personally to strive for. I am doing that now very well.

God doesn't love me more than anyone else, just because I am now doing this. Everyone is invited. No one is forced. I know for a fact that he exists and knows my every thought, and It is a great feeling to be a part of his family. I say these things knowing they are the truth, but I can't prove it.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
I know for a fact that he exists and knows my every thought, and It is a great feeling to be a part of his family. I say these things knowing they are the truth, but I can't prove it.

If you are capable of being mislead then you cannot know this for a fact.

All you can know is that you have been lead to believe this.
edit on 4-2-2018 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I know for a fact that he exists and knows my every thought, and It is a great feeling to be a part of his family. I say these things knowing they are the truth, but I can't prove it.

If you are capable of being mislead then you cannot know this for a fact.

All you can know is that you have been lead to believe this.

WRONG.
I know when I am being deceived every single time I have been deceived, but I didn't care enough then and went on my own way anyways.
Spiritual awareness is something everyone has if they pay attention to it.

What you are doing right now by trying to find fault with what I am telling you is your own current deception trying to justify itself so you don't feel accountable.
edit on 4-2-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

WRONG.
I know when I am being deceived every single time I have been deceived, but I didn't care enough then and went on my own way anyways.

I'm confused now.
Doesn't that mean you cannot be deceived?

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

WRONG.

I'm confused now.
Doesn't that mean you cannot be deceived?

It means you can be deceived if you don't give a sh^t.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
I was raised Methodist. Did all the church stuff.
Became atheist about 8 years back, but always questioned long before that.

I just can't take any religion seriously. It's all silly; like adults believing in an adult version of Santa Claus.
An interesting difference between a believer and an atheist is that the Atheist doesn't believe in any of the 320,000,000 god beings, while the religious believer doesn't believe in 319,999,999 god beings. They claim all are myths or never existed except their personally believed in god being. No one realizes that, if Mr Religious USA was born in Arabia, he'd be Muslim. If he were born in Asia, he'd no doubt be Buddhist, or Hindi. Etc etc etc (there are 4200 religions in the world as of right now). So many religions (thousands of them and millions of different god beings), if there were just one "real and correct god", well.... You get the point. Area of birth decides the religion one is raised under, not a Supreme invisible being in the sky.
And god's are so evil. Have you read how many people and babies the Bible god murders - and the Bible devil kills 10 . Literally 10. Egh. Fables and myths. But so so horrifying. The xtian god definitely is not about peace. He's vengeful. Angry. Psychotic. Glad it's a myth.

And so the devil's work with you is done. He doesn't need to kill, only deceive.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Which means that you can control how you are deceived.
Which means that if your diligent you cannot be deceived.

You seem to be claiming your diligent enough to not be deceived.

That's a bold claim and I commend you for having it.
Too many people go all wishy washy and can't be honest about what they think when it comes to "spiritual" matters.

Unfortunately it's provably wrong!

You've probably seen a 3D movie and taken the glasses off to check the difference.
You know the glasses have something to do with it.
You know the screen has something to do with it.
Something fishy is going on and regardless of how much you understand the process you will still fall for the same trick.

3D movies deceive the people who make 3D movies.

If you honestly think you cannot be deceived than any concept of god you may have is lessened and not made greater.

That's just one example of deception that you are aware of still being effective.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Those are the big three.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

and you got doubt wrong
Your big three and you got it wrong
What more do you want

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: intrptr

and you got doubt wrong
Your big three and you got it wrong
What more do you want

There isn't just three, like I said, Churchian dogma is false.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join