It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it foolish to dismiss religion as just superstition?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: intrptr

and you got doubt wrong
Your big three and you got it wrong
What more do you want

There isn't just three, like I said, Churchian dogma is false.

Am I your only friend noindie, don't you have friends noindie
I like being friends with people, you are a nice boy

You are free to think whatever you like noindie,I don't mind

You run along and play now

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

1) Jesus is God.

2 ) Jesus died on the cross for your sins.

3) There are a hundred more, but most importantly just believe all of them. Doubt is the devil, if you doubt you will go to a nonexistent place called Eternal Hell.

- Jesus is Gods son. Not God. Jesus told us not to worship him but his father. Even Jesus did pray to his father.

- Jesus did not die for Our sins,.... but to forfill prophesy. We have to ask for forgivnes for Our sins. And we have to change Our ways. We would not have to do anything different if Jesus died for Our sins.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I see, all your banter goes nowhere. You ask questions only to ridicule others answers, insult them for not knowing like you do, but don't say what you know.

Typical churchian behavior. Thats precisely why the religion is so menial and contrived, it claims to have all the answers but never shares any of it. Except for memes and shallow mantras, they really don't understand anything, at the same time accuse others for not just believing like them.

And if you do question they become condescending, call you names, tell you--

run along and play now

Meh

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

1) Jesus is God.

3) There are a hundred more, but most importantly just believe all of them. Doubt is the devil, if you doubt you will go to a nonexistent place called Eternal Hell.

- Jesus is Gods son. Not God. Jesus told us not to worship him but his father. Even Jesus did pray to his father.

- Jesus did not die for Our sins,.... but to forfill prophesy. We have to ask for forgivnes for Our sins. And we have to change Our ways. We would not have to do anything different if Jesus died for Our sins.

You misunderstood. Member asked me to name three falsehoods in Modern Christianity. The list you responded too are the big three, imo.

My response stemmed from their claim I didn't know modern church dogma. Which actually, is pointless to argue with them because they don't understand their own dogma. It becomes a game of hide and seek, insult and deflection. They behave just like the scribes and pharisees of the temple when they questioned Jesus about this or that religious law, scoffing at his answers because they hated anything they didn't utter or approve of. Temple Exceptionalism of its day is the same today.
edit on 5-2-2018 by intrptr because: spelling, clarity, additional

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I see, all your banter goes nowhere. You ask questions only to ridicule others answers, insult them for not knowing like you do, but don't say what you know.

Typical churchian behavior. Thats precisely why the religion is so menial and contrived, it claims to have all the answers but never shares any of it. Except for memes and shallow mantras, they really don't understand anything, at the same time accuse others for not just believing like them.

And if you do question they become condescending, call you names, tell you--

run along and play now

Meh

You are right of course
But
But ther is a limit to how much even a churchinan can take, take noindie, he stalks everything, everything in every religios topic said, like a stalker
How much is to much?
I am happy to explain what I know, but to you, already with your preconceived, know it all opinion?
I would hope you would search yourself, but of course you won't, I know that, guess I am just baiting you

You want the truth, really?
Didn't think so..

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I am happy to explain what I know, but to you, already with your preconceived, know it all opinion?

mmm hmm, dodged again.

Answer your own question. What are the three best myths in Curchianity.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yes it is foolish to dismiss religion as superstition, because it is a great deal more than that. Religions have been shaping human progress for thousands of years. To dismiss it as superstition is to dismiss much of human history, a foolish endeavour.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I think it is an individual's personal choice, depending upon their journey in life and what experiences may or may not correlate to the Bible's teachings. Then we have some people experiencing an epiphany, while others never do, so how does one explain the manifestation of a divine or supernatural being as one's reality?
I think it comes down to the simple term "Human Being".

I have noticed a trend that is attempting to separate the two words. What is a human, what is a being, and what is a human being. It goes to who we are, and are not, at the core.

This, is a conspiracy site that discusses conspiracies of every type and nature. And from what I have observed, we really are facing a conspiracy at the very core. And I do mean that at every level.

Yes, many have observed unique experiences others have not. Sometimes by design, and sometimes by happenstance. And then the most unbelievable, the Savant. Which by the way, I discovered the oldest translation of that word is "Savior".

From what I have gathered, it is always the persons choice to believe, to have faith, or just simply to pay attention and share what they have learned. And, even to remain ignorant to our plight.

Epiphany, yes. A knock on the door, but you always have the choice to open it or leave it closed. Humans beings, are prone to open it. Are there those who walk with us, simply humans, masquerading as human beings? My epiphany says you better start looking very closely at the possibility.

Our Choice? Normally I would agree, or more directly I would say, we have never been given that choice, honestly and openly. There is a war on between the human, and human being, for the truth. And as we all know the first, very first casualty, is the truth. Regardless of physical, or spiritual origin.

So I beg to differ with you, we have never had any real choice. By the way, the "Papyrus (Bible)" is just a history book taken completely out of the original context, and used as a psychological weapon of war. If you cant enslave your enemy physically, then enslave them psychologically, with emotions.

so how does one explain the manifestation of a divine or supernatural being as one's reality?
First, it must be accepted that not all humans are human beings. And for those who search, and wish to be, must ask internally. Its the deepest choice one can make. The "Reality" will manifest. I was just a human, till I saw the light!

There are two realities running side by side, competing for, for lack of terminology, "Ownership". One, wants the entirety of humanity, to de-evolve back to the state of human animals, devoid of the spiritual component. And the other, well, the true, Heaven on Earth, for all.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

mmm hmm, dodged again.

Answer your own question. What are the three best myths in Curchianity.

How about hell is eternal for human souls?
Does it make any difference to you, you don't believe in it anyway
Excercise on futility really

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Believing that eating a cracker and drinking some wine will offer you salvation is the definition of a superstition.

This is another myth.
The eating of a cracker and drinking wine isn't about salvation, it's about community.
Sitting with others and eating together, partaking in a meal,as family

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Believing that eating a cracker and drinking some wine will offer you salvation is the definition of a superstition.

This is another myth.
The eating of a cracker and drinking wine isn't about salvation, it's about community.
Sitting with others and eating together, partaking in a meal,as family

Boy! That's a pretty stingy family!
A stale cracker, no cheese, and a measly sip of wine. Not even a glass of wine for everyone!

And the guests are left in the drawing room, while the "family" go-off to commune together.
No snacks for the guests. They are unworthy.
It's a closed community. An exclusive family.

What's that now? Oh: a meal for the soul, not the body.
Sure. Sure it is.

Look the other way please.
Nothing to see here.
Nope: not a superstitious ritual by any stretch.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

This is another myth.
Sitting with others and eating together, partaking in a meal, as family

A stale cracker, no cheese, and a measly sip of wine. Not even a glass of wine for everyone!

And the guests are left in the drawing room, while the "family" go-off to commune together.

Sure. Sure it is.

Nothing to see here.

I know right, they got it all wrong in the church, byproduct of catholicism and their ritual
Jesus sat down with His buddies and had a decent meal, the last supper. Not just bread and wine.

And yes, guests are always welcome to a meal dedicated to Christs memory, its just you dont want to be there I guess

Where do you get the closed community thing from?

Its not a ritual, its building relationship, some churches have turned it into a ritual unfortunately, because christianity is all about relationship

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This is another myth.

Sure. Sure it is.

Nothing to see here.

I know right, they got it all wrong in the church, byproduct of catholicism and their ritual
Jesus sat down with His buddies and had a decent meal, the last supper. Not just bread and wine.

And yes, guests are always welcome to a meal dedicated to Christs memory, its just you dont want to be there I guess

Its not a ritual, its building relationship, some churches have turned it into a ritual unfortunately, because christianity is all about relationship

Hi RM.
Am not Christian, but have been to many Catholic services.
One might not hear this in an area where the clergy expects the congregation and audience to be all Catholic, but have been a few times to a "touristy" cathedral, where there is communion at every service. One of the preist's helpers, will annouce communion, while mentioning that while all are welcome to attend the service, Holy Communion is a sacred activity, and they ask that only (don't remember if they say baptized Catholics, or Catholics having passed first communion, or confirmed), participate in the ritual. (They don't use the word ritual.)

So that would be the exclusionary aspect.
It's no big deal really.
Just not a big happy meal, shared with family and friends.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

This is another myth.

Sure. Sure it is.

Nothing to see here.

Hi RM.
Am not Christian, but have been to many Catholic services.
One might not hear this in an area where the clergy expects the congregation and audience to be all Catholic, but have been a few times to a "touristy" cathedral, where there is communion at every service. One of the preist's helpers, will annouce communion, while mentioning that while all are welcome to attend the service, Holy Communion is a sacred activity, and they ask that only (don't remember if they say baptized Catholics, or Catholics having passed first communion, or confirmed), participate in the ritual. (They don't use the word ritual.)

So that would be the exclusionary aspect.
It's no big deal really.
Just not a big happy meal, shared with family and friends.

and of course you are right, catholicism is all about ritual
But not all christians are about ritual.
Communion comes from the word community and anyone is welcome to share
Christians are told to remember Christ and what He has done for us, that we fail Him
I dont really understand why Catholics have turned it into a ritual as they have

To me what the Catholics have done is a big deal, I dont believe in excluding people.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

How about hell is eternal for human souls?

Thats number four, behind, 'just believe'.

Finally...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

1) Jesus is God.

The Book of Corinthians says that Satan is the God of this world. Therefore if Jesus is the son of God then Jesus is Satan's son.

Which would explain David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Warren Jeffs. If Satan is evil and is the God of this world, and Jesus is the son of God, then all of his followers like David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Warren Jeffs are the product of their creator.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SickWave

1) Jesus is God.

The Book of Corinthians says that Satan is the God of this world. Therefore if Jesus is the son of God then Jesus is Satan's son.

Which would explain David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Warren Jeffs. If Satan is evil and is the God of this world, and Jesus is the son of God, then all of his followers like David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Warren Jeffs are the product of their creator.

I would not dismiss Your theory.....

I personally think Lord God is the imposter God. Lord God created the Serpent and the garden of Eden.

What the God of genesis Chapter 1 create was all good. What Lord God created was not good at all.

When God was done With his creation....... God rested on the seventh day.... On that day Lord God came into the Picture and created Adam from the dust on the ground.
In chapter 1. God had already formed Man (male and Female) in their image. Lord God did no such thing. He just formed Adam from the dust on the ground.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Religion is man made therefore I don't worry about dismissing it. Does that mean I don't believe in God, or the concept of God? No, it doesn't. It means I don't buy into the big business of organized religion. I don't buy into the "my version of religion is right, and yours is wrong, so you are going to hell" b.s.

Faith. Spirituality. That's good stuff. My definition of God and my thoughts and beliefs on what God is, are vastly different than most other people's beliefs, and that's fine with me. One individual's personal relationship with God is what counts, not religion.

So, is religion simply superstition? That's probably an over simplification, but yes. If that'st the question asked, I say yes.
Are faith and spirituality simply superstition? Not at all. No more superstition than faith that aliens are real, or Bigfoot is out there. Your personal beliefs are yours to hold, and nobody can simply dismiss them as superstition.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Oh you WILL be, I guarantee it, it's only a matter of WHEN...

God always gives proof before He expects faith and if He sees you are seeking the truth, He will give it to you.

You speak of religion AKA 'comfort', I only speak of what I have experienced myself personally, don't confuse the two.

Wisdom is only gained through experience.

Religion will NEVER tell you the TRUTH...

God on the other hand is not religious and in fact He HATES religion which is why in the old testament He calls religious people whores.

Religion is one massive LIE that was created as a mind control weapon designed to cover up the truth about God.

The hidden agenda behind FALSE Religion is to destroy spirituality and cause people to hate God.

Very interesting point.
Would be the ultimate pie in the face.
Seems to be working beautifully too...

Yes, personal experience is the key here. You understand.
Unfortunately, people tend to take authority over others' experience.

I'll add, my experiences to do with this have been far from comforting...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Are atheists getting too caught up with the truth of religion and missing the value?

I understand throwing away a maths textbook if it claims 2+2=3, but should Aesop's fables be rejected also because a tortoise never raced a hare?

Well, yes they should. An important distinction needs to be made here, however. Just because a story is not literally true, doesn't mean it has no value. Many stories can be fiction, but they can still teach "true" or "valid" moral lessons. So yes, people should reject the fables of Aesop as literal stories, but should consider the message being taught.

I see most of the bible in this same light. There are many good lessons and important stories that teach us things. They have value, they just aren't absolute literal truth, they are mostly parables.

So based on all that I do not think it's foolish to dismiss religion as superstition, since history points to the fact that every religion of the past has been shown to be superstition and made up explanations for things that we did not understand at the time. It's not foolish to assume the stories are not true unless testable evidence exists in favor of them.

edit on 2 6 18 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join