It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Introduces Bill to Criminalize Plastic Straws, $1k fine and Jail time!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
How would you like to be the guy or gal or what the hell ever, that get's asked " What you doing time for". Regardless you gonna get your arse beat.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Bandwagon much?

You folks are like a swarm of bees working each other up.

I was a waiter for years when I was younger. Its standard to give a straw with every drink that's not booze... Nothing that's touched a table can be put back in use, so...

..Reading the op made me think back to all those straws going in the trash.. Those land in landfills, or worse yet, the ocean.

It totally makes sense to have people request a plastic straw if they want one, it's good for the environment - and good for a restaurants fragile bottom line.

Obviously "jail time" would be for the worst case situation - like throwing a box of straws in the ocean, when the ocean didn't request it.

I was a server in Utah for years - you think a 'straw law' is silly? Try having to memorize all Utah's booze laws.

Some people want to help lower our environmental impact - get over it - there's simply no need to put them down.. to call them "crazy" and how the succeed.

It would be nice to see the people on ATS learn they can disagree without being insulting others.

It's not funny at all - you all seriously look like dbags to the rest of us.

Carry on..

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
Bandwagon much?

I was a waiter for years when I was younger. Its standard to give a straw with every drink that's not booze... Nothing that's touched a table can be put back in use, so...

..Reading the op made me think back to all those straws going in the trash.. Those land in landfills, or worse yet, the ocean.

It totally makes sense to have people request a plastic straw if they want one, it's good for the environment - and good for a restaurants fragile bottom line.

Obviously "jail time" would be for the worst case situation - like throwing a box of straws in the ocean, when the ocean didn't request it.

I was a server in Utah for years - you think a 'straw law' is silly? Try having to memorize all Utah's booze laws.

Some people want to help lower our environmental impact - get over it - there's simply no need to put them down.. to call them "crazy" and how the succeed.

It would be nice to see the people on ATS learn they can disagree without being insulting others.

Carry on..

why not just have them in a bin on the table like ive seen for years. u need a straw u take one?

so which politician's retarded family member now has a job policing these places for straw infractions?

the major problem i see is that we have the largest homelessness problem in the country, infrastructure thats failing of which weve paid for its upkeep over and over again with taxes that they appropriate/steal for pet projects, 200K+ people being evacuated due to their incompetence and then they hide the investigation from the public, roads that are failing which costs lives and is a direct result of their corruption since they appropriate/steal that money year after year, were over a trillion in a half in debt but the lemmings wont pay attention to the deferments, etc etc. the last thing they should be wasting their energy and our money on is straw infractions. your worried about the envrionment well id argue that the homeless in california produce far more trash, disease, and pollution then the straws easily.,
edit on 25-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I don't have any issue with passing a bill that reduces straw usage to on request only. I have an issue with including fines and possible jail time in that bill. It doesn't matter if it's rarely used or not, it's ridiculous to include it at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I can just imagine it now, some poor sap sitting in prison with killers, gang bangers, drug dealers and armed robbers they ask the new guy what he's in for?, supplying a customer with a straw for his drink HAHA
edit on 25-1-2018 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

The banning of straws is a who cares. Whatever. Proposing that it requires jail time is the rampant idiocy. Why did this assembly man think it necessary to place that in the bill? It matters not after how many warnings or fines, etc...jail for straws?

Utter lunacy.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Then just ban the darned, dangerous things.

Why the jail time stupidity?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You know, I think the issue is putting servers in jail over a straw, not anyone being against the environment. Regulate and fine the business for not going along with it, but putting anyone in jail or fining them because they forgot and brought a customer a straw is just short of a police state.

This is controlling normal or unintentional behavior by making it a crime and not at all like controlling deviant behavior with jail. The subject of multiple books on the horrors of where our society might end up.

It's another fine generating mechanism IMO. The taxes are so high there, they need to find ways to fine people for every little thing to get more and more of peoples money.

Soon California will need to take over some of the big campuses in Silicon Valley to use for jails. They already do need to that it seems.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We joke. We laugh. We pretend that California should secede...we've been doing it for years.....

Now is the time for the jokes to stop and make it happen. First however, we need to let northern Cali become it's own state because the people up north want nothing to do with the crazies down south.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Typical.

A lot of Californians are arrogant, passive aggressive, two faced, group think jack asses.

I would know. I live there.

Says much, though, about the rest of the replying posters in this thread labeling Californians as "retards" or even advocating our self poisoning...among other things.

Humanity is largely a failed experiment it would seem.

Soulless freaks. You all should be #ing ashamed.
edit on 25-1-2018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's funny. People scream bloody murder about how the jails are full of nonviolent people for possessing marijuana. But hey! Let's include language in a bill that will allow a server to be fined and jailed. Seems this will disproportionally affect low wage earners. Then people try to defend it saying "oh but no one will go to jail." Then why is that language there at all?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
(hangs his head in dishonor and shame)
.... and I have to live in California (sigh)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What happens if you catch an illegal alien with a plastic straw?

After all, California is a sanctuary state.

It could be a cultural issue, that straws are necessary because of their culture.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Why not just crucify them I mean if they think one straw is okay, they'll think a million is fine.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

That's why I'm moving to NY.

Had enough of this s#it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
Bandwagon much?

Carry on..

To pretend this is about straws is outrageous of you.

How sane states handle things:

Hey everyone, we're passing a new regulation that says restaurants should only give straws upon request. This will help protect the environment by reducing unnecessary trash and reduce costs.

Restaurants: Cool, we can hang a sign up that says something like "We're happy to provide straws upon request."

Customers who want straws: Cool, I totally support protecting the environment and saving money. I'll start ordering my drinks with a straw now, so the waitperson knows I need one. "Iced tea please, add a straw, no lemon."

How California handles things:

STRAWS ARE EVIL AND HARMFUL. DO NOT GIVE THEM OUT, SOMEONE MIGHT GET HURT. FINE PEOPLE AND THEN THROW THEM IN JAIL. EVERYONE MUST BE PROTECTED FROM THE HARMING CAUSED BY STRAWS.

edit on 1/25/18 by Ameilia because: formatting

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

So true.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Here ya go....a judge decides if coffee is carcinogenic enough to require public notice:

www.sandiegouniontribune.com...

Because the judge is obviously qualified to make such a determination.

I've been saying it ... Someone just needs to post signs on all the Welcome to California signs that say, "Warning: Residing in this state has been determined to cause cancer!"

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

That's why I'm moving to NY.

Had enough of this s#it.

lol i hope this is a joke its quite funny since your just going to another form of crazy in ny
edit on 25-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join