It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Introduces Bill to Criminalize Plastic Straws, $1k fine and Jail time!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: [post=23080656]Ameilia[/post

Nobody is going to get jail time, here in Cali. They just want people to stop throwing up to 500 million a day into the landfills. The vast majority don't get reused. So why give it to a person, unless they ask for one. Simple as that. I live in n So,Cali, and you guys make it seem like its a crap here, when in fact, I like it way better than the Chicago area, and the people are nice, the weather is warm.

Please stop totally exaggerating everything. Just like the day before yesterday, there was a thread about the DMV registering Illegals to vote here in Cali.....Utter Nonsense!! That means NOT TRUE.

The California Restaurant Assn. will come up with a position on the bill when the language is finalized, “but we do believe that the option to request a straw is preferable to an outright ban,” said Sharokina Shams, vice president for the group. “Hopefully, the bill language will support the idea of protecting the environment while also allowing consumers and businesses some cost-effective options.”

www.latimes.com...

You are welcome to review the bill as it was introduced. I have linked the text in the original post. It very clearly states:

Existing law, the California Retail Food Code, establishes uniform health and sanitation standards for, and provides for regulation by the State Department of Public Health of, retail food facilities, as defined, and requires local health agencies to enforce these provisions. Existing law requires, except as otherwise provided, a person who violates any provision of the code to be guilty of a misdemeanor with each offense punishable by a fine of not less than $25 or more than $1,000, or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not exceeding 6 months, or by both. This bill would prohibit a food facility, as specified, where food may be consumed on the premises from providing single-use plastic straws to consumers unless requested by the consumer. By creating a new crime and imposing additional enforcement duties on local health agencies, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program

So yes, it is very true that California wants to criminalize unrequested plastic straws, with penalties including jail.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

well of course you can murder someone and California and get away with it

Sure can.

Just ask Steinle's murder.

Hope you habla espanol.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
California lawmakers took the Tide Pods challenge.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If they were so worried about the ramifications of using straws, why not just halt straw production? why not give out free stainless steel straws? instead they seek to impose a monetary fine and threatens of Jail, talk about authoritarian

if these Green Capitalist that parade themselves as "Climate fighters" truly cared about environmental actions, why do they charge people for using the Sun? it is easy for these 'activist' to moralise people without any actual actions towards solutions, instead just more reforms and authoritative 'punishments'

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: [post=23080656]Ameilia[/post

Nobody is going to get jail time, here in Cali. They just want people to stop throwing up to 500 million a day into the landfills. The vast majority don't get reused. So why give it to a person, unless they ask for one. Simple as that. I live in n So,Cali, and you guys make it seem like its a crap here, when in fact, I like it way better than the Chicago area, and the people are nice, the weather is warm.

Please stop totally exaggerating everything. Just like the day before yesterday, there was a thread about the DMV registering Illegals to vote here in Cali.....Utter Nonsense!! That means NOT TRUE.

The California Restaurant Assn. will come up with a position on the bill when the language is finalized, “but we do believe that the option to request a straw is preferable to an outright ban,” said Sharokina Shams, vice president for the group. “Hopefully, the bill language will support the idea of protecting the environment while also allowing consumers and businesses some cost-effective options.”

www.latimes.com...

hey, kurtall...don't tell them how nice it is here, we don't need more of them......ok , to the rest of you, it's REALLY, REALLY terrible here, we have millions of liberals, surfer dudes, kale eaters, wine snobs, and the worst, "Hollywood elites". stay away for your own safety!!!!!!!....kurtall had a stroke when he wrote that

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: seagull

If they were so worried about the ramifications of using straws, why not just halt straw production? why not give out free stainless steel straws? instead they seek to impose a monetary fine and threatens of Jail, talk about authoritarian

if these Green Capitalist that parade themselves as "Climate fighters" truly cared about environmental actions, why do they charge people for using the Sun? it is easy for these 'activist' to moralise people without any actual actions towards solutions, instead just more reforms and authoritative 'punishments'

oh you are so right....please don't come here, embrace your fear of california

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Born and Live in California...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

No argument, at all.

Just ban the bloody things, if they're so dangerous. Why the jail time, or the possibility of...?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

there is talk in the bill regarding reimbursments so is this geared to schools? is this actually geared to save money? seems totally nuts...

link   

LOL. This is now in the middle column of Drudge Report, in red. I swear, it was not there when I wrote the OP. So, did Drudge see this post or did he see Reason?

link   

originally posted by: Cutepants
a reply to: Jonjonj

The judge could no longer overlook his crimes, it was the last straw.

Somewhere a camel was looking for something to use to get some time off from its stressful job, so it walked into a bar, asked for a job...gave a frickin' straw to a nerd ordering a latte covered coca cola limonade!!!

...and the circle is complete.

edit on 25-1-2018 by Jonjonj because: Add

edit on 25-1-2018 by Jonjonj because: recipe

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
But what if the worker who forces a straw on a unwitting customer is an illegal immigrant?

Ummm...why then...they get the keys to the city...

And a parade...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They already do it in some counties in CA. I travelled last year to Ca and went to Starbucks telling me not drink cancer causing coffee and just had to know that the building had asbestos and charged me $.10 for a bag I just talked to a friend of mine he said I thought I was liberal until I moved here. Apparently I am not this place is nuts.
edit on 25-1-2018 by Ash614 because:
edit on 25-1-2018 by Ash614 because: Autotext
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm sorry, rude not to ....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If we drink coffee through a plastic straw maybe they will all stamp their feet and cause California to separate from the rest of the US.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

it's REALLY, REALLY terrible here, we have millions of liberals, surfer dudes, kale eaters, wine snobs, and the worst, "Hollywood elites

Oh, trust me...we know. Why do you think there's so many threads about stupid sh** from California?
Nice weather doesn't make up for all that.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
liberals are secretly tyrants

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

if you are the customer you can request a straw every time you need one anywhere....the fine starts at 25 dollars for the one who gave it to you without customer request (and it probably would come with several warnings first)....jail time is the last resort..........at least Californians can read, maybe if you ate fruits and nuts, you could too.

Ummm...you deserve an award for that post...I'll leave it up to you to determine what that is...

Perhaps you shouldn't be advocating cannibalism...just sayin...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Wouldn't be the first time he's used us.

ATS has a habit of being ahead of the curve, at least sometimes.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's "our way, or no way", or prison...whichever costs the most money. Or so it seems, sometimes.

Jail time for straw distribution...

Y'know, it doesn't get any less silly sounding with repetition.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join