It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Introduces Bill to Criminalize Plastic Straws, $1k fine and Jail time!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
When you have a toothache you need a straw lol.

Man up son, drink that stuff straight from the Perrier bottle.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Not just crazy but California crazy!!!

I think "bag of cats" is the clinical term.

Because there's Crazy, then there's California.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I kinda wanna go to California now and visit a restaurant just so I can call 911 and demand a police officer arrest the waitress for bringing me a straw without me asking for it first.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Ameilia

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

if you are the customer you can request a straw every time you need one anywhere....the fine starts at 25 dollars for the one who gave it to you without customer request (and it probably would come with several warnings first)....jail time is the last resort..........at least Californians can read, maybe if you ate fruits and nuts, you could too.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

Oh, I know. I've watched as the idiocy has made its way north into Washington and Oregon. Seattle has enacted similar ordinances, as I understand it...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

You see nothing wrong with the possibility of jail time for this oh, so horrendous crime??

Slight bit of overkill, don't you think?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I kinda wanna go to California now and visit a restaurant just so I can call 911 and demand a police officer arrest the waitress for bringing me a straw without me asking for it first.

the police would come and throw your ass out for disturbing the peace, and falsely calling an emergency number for an infraction....on second thought, go ahead, but tell me where and what time you'll be there, so I can laugh and put your perp walk on youtube

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

So what your saying is that you can actually go to jail for handing out a straw a few times but not for being in the country illegally.

My reading is fine.
And it's still the land of fruit and nuts.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a person who violates any provision of the code to be guilty of a misdemeanor with each offense punishable by a fine of not less than $25 or more than $1,000, or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not exceeding 6 months, or by both.

wow
jail time for providing unrequested "single use" plastic straws.......
what is going on there?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Just imagine if Hillary has been elected. We'd have someone who thinks up these idiotic, insane, ridiculous, state killing, freedom killing, repressive things, sitting in the White House.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: trollz

the police would come and throw your ass out for disturbing the peace, and falsely calling an emergency number for an infraction....on second thought, go ahead, but tell me where and what time you'll be there, so I can laugh and put your perp walk on youtube

Careful, though, I think you're approaching the western border of irony.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: shooterbrody

Just imagine if Hillary has been elected. We'd have someone who thinks up these idiotic, insane, ridiculous, state killing, freedom killing, repressive things, sitting in the White House.

No thanks
We save those stories to scare people on halloween.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: seagull

Relying on research done by a nine year old...who is now 16. OK.

4.1 percent...yeah, this'll save the environment.

Steel straws? Really? Have any of these mouth-breathing idiots ever seen steel smelting in action?? Not the most environmentally friendly of actions...so, naturally they'll explore that as an alternative.

Idiots. The lot of 'em. Idiots. My goodness, but Cali has gone 'round the twist, as they say.

I'd suggest Californians start using lead straws. Then this would all be a self correcting problem on multiple fronts.

Im in California.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

You can MURDER someone in the state of California and get away with it, but a plastic straw will get you jail time.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

You see nothing wrong with the possibility of jail time for this oh, so horrendous crime??

In the state of Washington, it is against the law (felony) to harass a bigfoot or sasquatch, lollipops are banned, it is against the law to walk around in public if he or she has the common cold, people cannot buy a mattress on Sunday, it's illegal to paint polka dots on an American flag....there's more of these horrendous Washington state crimes.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well that's knacked that stupid clown place then as you get plastic straws with all their drinks and shakes. Would someone look at the numbers the anti straw people are throwing out cos when I looked they were saying so many million straws are picked up off our coasts and when you calculate the millions of miles of coast it equated to 3 straws per mile. Not exactly a glut.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23080656]Ameilia[/post

Nobody is going to get jail time, here in Cali. They just want people to stop throwing up to 500 million a day into the landfills. The vast majority don't get reused. So why give it to a person, unless they ask for one. Simple as that. I live in n So,Cali, and you guys make it seem like its a crap here, when in fact, I like it way better than the Chicago area, and the people are nice, the weather is warm.

Please stop totally exaggerating everything. Just like the day before yesterday, there was a thread about the DMV registering Illegals to vote here in Cali.....Utter Nonsense!! That means NOT TRUE.

The California Restaurant Assn. will come up with a position on the bill when the language is finalized, “but we do believe that the option to request a straw is preferable to an outright ban,” said Sharokina Shams, vice president for the group. “Hopefully, the bill language will support the idea of protecting the environment while also allowing consumers and businesses some cost-effective options.”

www.latimes.com...

edit on 25-1-2018 by kurthall because: add

edit on 25-1-2018 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

In the state of Washington, it is against the law (felony) to harass a bigfoot or sasquatch, lollipops are banned, it is against the law to walk around in public if he or she has the common cold, people cannot buy a mattress on Sunday, it's illegal to paint polka dots on an American flag....there's more of these horrendous Washington state crimes.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

You can MURDER someone in the state of California and get away with it, but a plastic straw will get you jail time.

well of course you can murder someone and California and get away with it. if you say it, it must be true......do you move on to the 3rd grade next year, or are they going to hold you back?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Are those laws enforced?? Assuming, since I'm not going to check, they exist at all.

There are any number of laws on the books that are nonsensical for what ever reason... A law mandating jailtime for illegal straw distribution should be counted among them.

Illegal straw distribution. Sounds silly just typing it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join