It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

he create TCP/IP architecture and today's communications protocols, a real genius with a real work ethic

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Aazadan

So far in my experience in the technology field you need to literally have a passion and drive and be focused on getting better and more creative to even make minimal progress in what seems to be one of the very few lucrative fields for us

It's a field that requires constant self study of new technology coming out, because information obsoletes. That's why there's a bias in tech against people who are over 50. New grads were taught the newest processes while it's generally assumed that older folks only know the old ways unless they can demonstrate they keep their knowledge fresh. It's why most older folks who stay in the industry move to non development roles.

How much drive you need varies by company. Some companies will have you research new technology on company time, so you get paid to stay up to date. At other companies, they have their tech stack and have no intention of changing, so you need to put the time in during off hours.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa
groups.csail.mit.edu...

here's a paper written by a DR, from MIT take a look

I read it, did you, all the way to the bottom? There is lists to total annual work hours per era....

1400-1600 - Farmer-miner, adult male, U.K.: 1980 hours
Calculated from Ian Blanchard's estimate of 180 days per year. Assumes 11-hour day ("Labour productivity and work psychology in the English mining industry, 1400-1600", Economic History Review 31, 23 (1978).

1840 - Average worker, U.K.: 3105-3588 hours
Based on 69-hour week; hours from W.S. Woytinsky, "Hours of labor," in Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, vol. III (New York: Macmillan, 1935). Low estimate assumes 45 week year, high one assumes 52 week year

1850 - Average worker, U.S.: 3150-3650 hours
Based on 70-hour week; hours from Joseph Zeisel, "The workweek in American industry, 1850-1956", Monthly Labor Review 81, 23-29 (1958). Low estimate assumes 45 week year, high one assumes 52 week year

1987 - Average worker, U.S.: 1949 hours
From The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure, by Juliet B. Schor, Table 2.4 1988 - Manufacturing workers, U.K.: 1856 hours Calculated from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, Office of Productivity and Technology

1400-1600 - Farmer-miner, adult male, U.K.: 1980 hours
1987 - Average worker, U.S.: 1949 hours

So, unless the "new math" means something totally different, your source lists 1980 hrs - 1949 hrs = -31 hrs. That mean the farmer of 1400-1600 worked 31 more hours that the average worker today. In addition,that farmer worked an average 11-hour day, whereas today, it is on average an 8hr day.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Oh so he works (or worked) for Darpa?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
the younger generation just does not have the work ethic. w 6 degrees i am assuming you have half a brain, w that all you would have to do would be show up every day on time and in 6 months you would be manager, within a few years you would be regional manager. you could walk in to UPS and have a 6 figure driver salary within a year. with half a brain, 6 degrees, work ethic, common sense and confidence there is no excuse why you are not making great money right now. now if you are not willing to start at the bottom, have a neck tattoo, dress like a weirdo, act like a know it all and look at ATS every 5 minutes on your phone no amount of college degrees in the world would make you employable anywhere.

i learned that you don't have to do what you love to be happy in life. do what pays the bills, provides for you and your family and allows you to have extra money and time off to...do what you love.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

you're not in the real world you can work at UPS for 10 years and get nowhere with any skillset depending weather or not the manager thinks your cool or not

what world are you in???

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

good, I'm glad people over 50 right now get tossed to the side, hope the trend continues, fire all of them make some room for younger people

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

So far in my experience in the technology field you need to literally have a passion and drive and be focused on getting better and more creative to even make minimal progress in what seems to be one of the very few lucrative fields for us

It's a field that requires constant self study of new technology coming out, because information obsoletes. That's why there's a bias in tech against people who are over 50. New grads were taught the newest processes while it's generally assumed that older folks only know the old ways unless they can demonstrate they keep their knowledge fresh. It's why most older folks who stay in the industry move to non development roles.

How much drive you need varies by company. Some companies will have you research new technology on company time, so you get paid to stay up to date. At other companies, they have their tech stack and have no intention of changing, so you need to put the time in during off hours.

LOL My family and closest friends have been in the tech industry since the 70s and they all have the same complaint, some kid comes in thinking they know the most cutting edge information... then they have to unlearn it all to learn how the company does business.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

you dont have any idea. i know 3 people right now that became full time employees within a year. i know another guy 23 year old worked there 4 years and is now driving semis. all 6 figure jobs. ups employees are promoted by seniority and now thanks to millenials not willing to do the work the jobs are available. you might be thinking getting in to full time management which does call for some brown nosing, college degrees and patronage to a certain extent. by the way i'm a 22 year UPS employee so don't ever tell me i don't know what i'm talking about.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

oh good, hopefully they fire you soon to hire someone for less money and or benefits

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
the younger generation just does not have the work ethic. w 6 degrees i am assuming you have half a brain, w that all you would have to do would be show up every day on time and in 6 months you would be manager, within a few years you would be regional manager. you could walk in to UPS and have a 6 figure driver salary within a year. with half a brain, 6 degrees, work ethic, common sense and confidence there is no excuse why you are not making great money right now. now if you are not willing to start at the bottom, have a neck tattoo, dress like a weirdo, act like a know it all and look at ATS every 5 minutes on your phone no amount of college degrees in the world would make you employable anywhere.

i learned that you don't have to do what you love to be happy in life. do what pays the bills, provides for you and your family and allows you to have extra money and time off to...do what you love.

I was hired directly out of school. The first job I've ever had in my life started at over 6 figures. Why on earth would I settle for unskilled work like being a UPS driver? I would much rather do things like work on the traveling salesman problem and write the software that plans driver routes (though that particular problem has been mostly solved).

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

you dont have any idea. i know 3 people right now that became full time employees within a year. i know another guy 23 year old worked there 4 years and is now driving semis. all 6 figure jobs. ups employees are promoted by seniority and now thanks to millenials not willing to do the work the jobs are available. you might be thinking getting in to full time management which does call for some brown nosing, college degrees and patronage to a certain extent. by the way i'm a 22 year UPS employee so don't ever tell me i don't know what i'm talking about.

The national average salary for a UPS Driver is $65,540 in United States. Filter by location to see UPS Driver salaries in your area. Salary estimates are based on salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by UPS Driver employees.

www.glassdoor.com...

Doesn't look like 6 figures to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

ppffft I came out of da womb making 6 figures.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

if you are willing to work, come in every day on time, i can get you a job that will lead to free insurance, 2000 a semester for school i believe $3000 if you go in to pt management and depending on your location a fast track in to 6 figure full time work as a package car driver or semi trailer driver. you have to be willing to bust your hump, work long hours and put the phone down. if you have the right attitude and work ethic you can do it. once you are in the union you basically have to steal or kill someone to get fired

edit to add..pension, paid vacations, holidays and personal days. come to the darkside. i'm currently on one of my 6 paid vacations of the year.

edit on 23-1-2018 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadanthat is for a 40 hour work week. average work week is 55 hours around here buddy.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

www.bloomberg.com...

hah, your pension is next and I'm going to laugh about it

good luck! when the future arrives and you're left wondering what happened us young losers will be there saying, "I told ya so!"

good luck

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
your source must be old as well because at 37 an hour i would be at 76,960 a year and that would be with no over time lol believe me you can get industry leading benefits and make decent $$ but you have to work your butt off.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

www.bloomberg.com...

hah, your pension is next and I'm going to laugh about it

good luck! when the future arrives and you're left wondering what happened us young losers will be there saying, "I told ya so!"

good luck

That is, if you can finish your thought fully. If your research skills are any indicator of you work ethic (sloppy and incomplete) then we'll be fine. Because, we know how to live down to another level, and make adjustments. You on the other hand will be whining to your government teat to be suckled until you die.

Not a pretty sight.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

relax buddy, i have 401k, stocks and investments. they have been saying the pensions were gonna go away for a long time, we are aware of the rumors and we do worry about them. it could happen that is why i do not put all my eggs in one basket.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

ppffft I came out of da womb making 6 figures.

I didn't
I had to get 450 semester credit hours at university and then get lucky for it to happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join