It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: Aazadanthat is for a 40 hour work week. average work week is 55 hours around here buddy.

Overtime isn't real salary.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I dropped out because It was too much work.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

ppffft I came out of da womb making 6 figures.

I didn't
I had to get 450 semester credit hours at university and then get lucky for it to happen.

Was it luck or was it that you saw where the trend was going, planned to get educated in that field to be ready, then the timing was right when you graduated?

If so, that is not luck, you built that yourself. And you should be proud of the ability to do that. It will be needed at least 2 or 3 times more as you get older and progress in the workforce. It is a great skill to have.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

you could do that as well, ups hires from within, you must start as a loader(even the ceo started as a loader) unfortunately the white collar jobs do not have the same job security, pension, insurance, benefits (they are non-union) you could definitely start as a loader and quickly move in to i.e. (industrial engineering) and get a nice 6 figure career but it sounds like you can do better than that.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
the point is not that ups is the highest paying most fulfilling job out there, the point is that millenials complain there is no work or opportunities and then i point out that there are opportunities out there and millenials prove my point because the jobs are not what they want to do. stop w the excuses go out there and get it!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Was it luck or was it that you saw where the trend was going, planned to get educated in that field to be ready, then the timing was right when you graduated?

100% luck. That doesn't mean I didn't put the effort in to learn, but people are reactive to their environments. Getting interested in a field, having the opportunity to learn it, having the right teachers, and assuming the field would have jobs when I finished... that's all luck. I had nothing to do with it, literally everyone is capable of doing what I did. It could have just as easily been me 2 classes away from finishing up my final degree, unemployed, and no job prospects as it could have been the reality where I have a great job that I enjoy.

Considering the fact that there's more employees out there than jobs available it would take some real convincing to make me believe I did anything other than win the job lottery.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

they say luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
your source must be old as well because at 37 an hour i would be at 76,960 a year and that would be with no over time lol believe me you can get industry leading benefits and make decent $$ but you have to work your butt off.

smart, just giving a bit of the same attitude that my age group receives from a lot of the older generation back

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

It's still random chance. Why me over any of my classmates who are more talented than me? Simple. I was recommended by someone I know at the company. That's luck.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Well, there is luck and destiny.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I remember, as a “Gen X’er”(just happened to have turned 43 today) that was a “lost generation” of misfits and drug addicts from the grunge era, etc. OMG!! Most of us turned out just fine.

edit on 23-1-2018 by valve because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2018 by valve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Actually, this is all just economics. Luckily, the economics are showing that the pain is almost over. Let me explain.

The labor market is just like any other market, subject to the effects of supply and demand. The cost of labor is only inelastic in a downward direction, it can move upwards quickly, but rarely downward. So what happened in the 50's and 60's that led to this stunting of the growth of wages? Women in the work place. As more women shook off the the tradition of being stay at home mothers who never worked more than a few days in their lives (meaning employment for money, being a stay at home parent is harder work than any job I've ever had) the supply of labor increased. What happens when supply increases? Price decreases. In this case, price didn't really decrease much (inelastic), it just went sideways.

Now for the good news. We have reached (or are near) peak saturation of both sexes pursuing employment. As the labor market tightens, wages will increase. I'm in an industry that didn't see more than a two percent raise for 15 years. In the last two years we had raises of 10% and 12% and they still can't find enough people. The rumor is that our next raise will be around 7-8%. Someone starting out in my industry next year will start at a wage 33% higher than they did three years ago. That's really good wage growth.

Add in trump killing off the supply of illegal immigrant workers flooding our nation and you're going to see wage growth you didn't think was possible.

ETA: If wage growth takes the path I think it will take, we will see some interestingly fast boom-bust cycles, as businesses struggle to keep talent because they get outpriced by competitors then go out of business.
edit on 23-1-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Now for the good news. We have reached (or are near) peak saturation of both sexes pursuing employment. As the labor market tightens, wages will increase. I'm in an industry that didn't see more than a two percent raise for 15 years. In the last two years we had raises of 10% and 12% and they still can't find enough people. The rumor is that our next raise will be around 7-8%. Someone starting out in my industry next year will start at a wage 33% higher than they did three years ago. That's really good wage growth.

A large factor in why the wages are increasing is because my age group is beginning to refuse to work for less

and all everyone can do is tell us we are lazy, idiots

ETA: If wage growth takes the path I think it will take, we will see some interestingly fast boom-bust cycles, as businesses struggle to keep talent because they get outpriced by competitors then go out of business.

Good, maybe it will fix the modern corporate culture where you have to fit in with people and hang out with them outside work in order to have a career. God that's so annoying.
edit on 23-1-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

A large factor in why the wages are increasing is because my age group is beginning to refuse to work for less

and all everyone can do is tell us we are lazy, idiots

Millenials are lazy. I'm a millenial. I'm lazy. I don't know a single hard working millenial. We do enough to get by, but rarely anything more than the minimum effort.

ETA: I don't think that's a trait unique to millenials. Humans, in general, are lazy.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

speak for yourself

I work full time and go to school, I also workout 5-7 days a week

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I worked, went to school, raised a family, and worked out. I was lazy through all of it. laziness is a mindset, not a lack of activities to list.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

hmm, guess I can't relate

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm sure not all millenials are lazy. Just most of them from my experience.

IMO, laziness can be a strength. Why do you think production is so high per worker? Laziness. Someone got tired of doing all of the work and automated the process to make it more efficient. Why is amazon taking over, laziness. Why can I drive through the gas station to get a cup of liquid sugar and caffeine? Laziness. People do hard work in spurts, but overall most of us are lazy. Most of us want to do less work.

ETA:
Here's my laziness test: would you rather not be born than be born in the medieval time period? If you answer yes, you're lazy. I answer yes 100% of the time lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Well theres that perspective. I agree with this assertion.

I would like to ge laziness but I can't afford to be

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
And how many Millennials have a cell phone (with accompanying monthly payment), Internet access to post their narcissistic rantings (with accompanying monthly payment), and monthly cable/TV payment that the boomers did NOT have to spend their money upon? That Boomer money went to essentials like food, housing, transportation.....things to help keep you and family alive. Not things that help you whine and moan about your lot in life all while expecting someone to fix it for you.

We saved and invested too!

Cry me a f'n river.

Sacrificed instant gratification for long term stability and helped the country.

Vacations were saved for, if even in the household budget.

How can a snowflake survive 12 hr shifts in a place with no A/C or an espresso machine within walking distance?!

Like Bourdain asked in Kitchen Confidential, "any burn cream in this place"?

LOLOL! Right. Got ya burn cream right here!

And the BS of "money was worth more back then" is BS. It's proportional.

If rent/mortgage was 30% of monthly pay then, it should be the same now.

Live beyond your means now and bitch, seems to be the norm.

Sucks to be you.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join