It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
First off, where do you find these miracle figure a year jobs right out of high school or college? I am curious... over next to the unicorn and liger?

Once you're worth employing, or at least interviewing companies seek you out, you don't apply to them. The company I work at now, I never applied for, though I did give them a resume after they hired me because HR needed one on file. My hiring process went about like this:
1. Hey, we need a software engineer that knows how to do VR. You can do that, lets talk.
2. We like you, make us a small proof of concept over the weekend, and give it to us.
3. Your project is really popular, we see you know what you're doing. You're hired, and we're going to give you more money than you initially asked for.

secondly those crap jobs taught me how to appreciate what is in my life, I understand there is more to life than having the biggest bank accounts.

I spent ages 20 to 35 living on about $750 a month while studying for my current job. Been there, done that. It added nothing to my life. I prefer working, I would do it for 1/10 the wage, but I don't have to. I legitimately enjoy my job. The work is interesting, somewhat challenging, and rewarding.

Lastly where I am going to be living a low 6 figure a year job is twice as much as I need to live comfortably, have land a nice house and take nice vacations yearly.

I might as well live in a third world country, our median wage is $13,000/year in this part of the US. $100k goes far, that's more than what most houses cost.

eta: Also if it is so easy to find these 6 figure a year jobs right off the bat, why are so many millenials struggling?

Because the main point is to follow the career you want to follow. Some want to get into industries that don't pay as well, and most compensation has been stagnant or going in reverse. Even a 100k job today only has the purchasing power that a $40k job had back in the 80's.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

its called learning a work ethic and you will be stronger for it. anyone worth their weight and half a brain would be running the mcdonalds within 6 years, finish college and have managerial experience for their resume. if they were halfway competent it would show through their character and composure and they would be well on their way to a high paying career. on the other hand if they have slouched shoulders, a neck tattoo and a terrible attitude employers nor life will not let them climb their corporate ladder.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Globalism and Technology has made the rich richer and the poor poorer. Other workers around the world will do what you do for less.

You can thank America's globalists policies for speeding this up. That is why you need American nationalist like Trump. He is willing to slow it down to help the workers. Obama only speed up the redistribution of America's wealth.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: face23785
Working those crummy jobs while you're going to school doesn't lock you into those type of jobs forever. You're dancing around the fact that you just didn't want to work, not that you couldn't find work. If you had done one of those crummy jobs all those years you were in school, even part time, you wouldn't be looking for someone to pay off your student loan debt now. Or at least not as much of it. But, that wouldn't be the nanny state way of doing things. Everyone else should pay for your school right, even though you were fully capable of paying for it yourself and just decided not to.

The entitlement is so thoroughly brainwashed into you it's disgusting.

I have no student loan debt. If I had worked instead, I would only be half done with an education rather than finished.

But yes, university should be free.

There are people that finish their degrees on time while working. What's the difference between them and you?
edit on 22 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Writing that off as "settling for less" is dishonest and you know it. What I'm talking about is working while you do all that to get yourself into your dream job. That's not settling for anything. It's being realistic and being an adult instead of whining about how it's everyone else's fault you can't get a job and thinking everyone owes you something. You have what you want and you're still complaining. Why? Because you couldn't get into that job as soon as you were done with high school? Grow up and realize how good you have it.

Any job that's worthwhile requires a minimum of 6 years education, most lean closer to 10. That's if you're going full time. If you go part time you double those numbers. The plan shouldn't include working at McDonalds for 12 years to support yourself while getting a relevant education.

Translated: "I'm too good to have worked those peon jobs while I was in school." And no the numbers don't add up like that. Get out of the me, me, me, me, me attitude. Sorry you can't have everything you want handed to you fresh out of high school. Jesus Christ act your age.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Another problem is all the millenium's have to have an 800.00 phone,new car,those were extravagant items that only rich people could afford,yet they think it's a right,I wanted things,but 1st I paid rent ,utilities,now kids live with parents,never really grow up

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

a reply to: dbarnhart

So at 22 you had a house, two cars paid for, married, furniture, and the standard luxuries for the day. And you think you were bad off? You were poor but that's much better off than the average 22 year old today, which is on the tail end of millennials, the average millennial is now 30 and still doesn't have any of that.

Th average millennial won't settle for broken down old furniture. The average millennial won't settle for a junk-heap car. For a house millennials refuse to consider anything but a mcmansion.

When I tell a millennial that I know where they can buy an inexpensive 2 bedroom 2 bath mobile home in a very safe neighborhood for a very affordable price, they turn and walk away.

They will however spend a thousand bucks on an iPhoneX.
edit on 22-1-2018 by dbarnhart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

Maybe if they gave up their smart phones,xbox's and stop twittering, and facebooking they wouldn't be.

I can guarantee millennials don't know what poor is.

Modern society, pay and benefits and the technology gap was vastly different than what we have today.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Let me tell you I have a 21 y/o son and a 21 y/o nephew. Both live at home. My son lives with his mother currently.

The only bills they have is car insurance and they are BROKE. They spend money as fast as they can get it. They wont save a dime and you cant tell them a damn thing.

Always whining they are broke but always have the latest iPhone.

If you are broke when you are living at home God help you once you get REAL bills.
edit on 22-1-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010

Let me tell you I have a 21 y/o son and a 21 y/o nephew. Both live at home. My son lives with his mother currently.

The only bills they have is car insurance and they are BROKE. They spend money as fast as they can get it. They wont save a dime and you cant tell them a damn thing.

If you are broke when you are living at home God help you once you get REAL bills.

An iphone is $50/month to always have the newest, if you sign a contract you can get it for even less. That's not breaking anyone. Cell phones are relatively cheap, as far as computing devices go they're cheaper than a decent laptop/desktop.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: amfirst1
a reply to: toysforadults

Globalism and Technology has made the rich richer and the poor poorer. Other workers around the world will do what you do for less.

You can thank America's globalists policies for speeding this up. That is why you need American nationalist like Trump. He is willing to slow it down to help the workers. Obama only speed up the redistribution of America's wealth.

Translation: I'm not good enough to compete.

If you want to live in a society that thrives on free market competition, then you also have to accept that if you're not good enough, you go nowhere in life. With all of the resources in the US why are you losing to someone in a third world country?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

There are people that finish their degrees on time while working. What's the difference between them and you?

Most people in majors that are actually difficult are discouraged from working while attending university.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Going out to eat constantly, spending money on car upgrades, PS4 Pro Xbox One, 4k Tvs, PC video cards (1080 TI) etc.
etc etc

There is a million ways to blow money. :/
edit on 22-1-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Translated: "I'm too good to have worked those peon jobs while I was in school." And no the numbers don't add up like that. Get out of the me, me, me, me, me attitude. Sorry you can't have everything you want handed to you fresh out of high school. Jesus Christ act your age.

Too good? Absolutely. I hold myself to a higher standard than settling for fast food. That's a good way to go nowhere in life. You can either spend that time flipping burgers, or spend it improving yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbarnhart
Th average millennial won't settle for broken down old furniture. The average millennial won't settle for a junk-heap car. For a house millennials refuse to consider anything but a mcmansion.

BS. Did you know that I have zero furniture aside from a standing desk? Literally zero. I sleep on the floor, I don't have a table, I have zero chairs, I don't have a couch, I have no shelves, I don't have a TV. Most millennials don't go quite as far as I do (I'm a minimalist, and I've spent longer, poorer than most people) but furniture is a rarity. It's not millennials that walk into furniture stores and drop $1500 on a poorly made recliner. The poor people I know, independent of generation get their furniture from good will and secondhand stores.

When I tell a millennial that I know where they can buy an inexpensive 2 bedroom 2 bath mobile home in a very safe neighborhood for a very affordable price, they turn and walk away.

Mobile homes aren't classy. They definitely aren't worth investing in.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

How can you have 6 degrees and no debt???

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Boomers sold their parents inherited businesses and passed down nothing but subjugation to their offspring. They sold their future to skynet. The treatment shows some sadistic 50 shades of slave owner fantasy we see in the news every day: making their children suffer, teasing and blaming them for their condition. Its a sickness, Boomeritis.

To the guy desiging virtual reality software, you do realise your contributions to the world are negative, right? That's the problem. People are okay building up exploitative nonsense, borrowing money from consumers to pay for it cuz no one will invest in garbage, and hoping the same crowdfunders are worthless enough to give their kids an iTunes gift card as a babysitter.
edit on 22-1-2018 by AdKiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

How can you have 6 degrees and no debt???

Low cost of living areas (I certainly didn't pick them because I like them) stretches income further. A willingness to go homeless when necessary so I could put all of my disability income towards tuition. Gen ed's from low cost community colleges, major classes from low priced full universities, and in the last few years, some scholarships and grants. For this year, which will finish me off it's out of pocket from job wages.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdKiller
To the guy desiging virtual reality software, you do realise your contributions to the world are negative, right? That's the problem. People are okay building up exploitative nonsense, borrowing money from consumers to pay for it cuz no one will invest in garbage, and hoping the same crowdfunders are worthless enough to give their kids an iTunes gift card as a babysitter.

I don't see it that way at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010

An iphone is $50/month to always have the newest, if you sign a contract you can get it for even less. That's not breaking anyone. Cell phones are relatively cheap, as far as computing devices go they're cheaper than a decent laptop/desktop.

For those complaining they are always poor and have nothing, that phone is a waste of money. So, for $600.00/yr ($50x12) you could get a cheap burner cell phone with plenty of minutes for job search calls, and put the rest into a savings toward a better place or a move to a new location where a high paying job is found.

Your wacked out priorities and fellow entitled people say that $50.00/month is nothing? That is everything to someone truly in need and poor. This is the problem and your denial is proof of that. If that $50.00/month is nothing, then send it to me. I will invest it and make a nice 15% compounded return. By the end of that year, I'll have a lot more than the original $600.00. Then I will donate that money to someone truly in need and you will get nothing.

SMH

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join