It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious, Moving, Unidentified Lights Filmed Over Basingstoke, England On January 11, 2018

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MartinDoyle87

Thanks for the pics!

Just curious, did you take your story to the Daily Mail, or did MUFON?

Not to berate, I'm just interested how it reaches that stage. thx!
edit on 18-1-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

holy crap!
its not everyday the owner of an viral ufo video stops here by ats!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Nvm
edit on 18-1-2018 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

well this adds an new layer of mistery, i cant see anything that looks like an crane
could you describe how the object looked by your bare eyes?
did it have any kind of structure behind it or it was just a bunch of bright lights pivoting around an imaginary central point?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

ugh my brain hurts
martin do you visit that area a lot or you just happen by it sometimes

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord

well this adds an new layer of mistery, i cant see anything that looks like an crane
could you describe how the object looked by your bare eyes?
did it have any kind of structure behind it or it was just a bunch of bright lights pivoting around an imaginary central point?

No mystery. Cranes can be mobile. The person filming just took advantage of the foggy conditions. Everyone is happy. The media for getting hits on their websites and the person filming for selling it to the media or getting hits on their YT Channel. With the current "UFO flap" some people will exploit every single filming opportunity knowing that the media will lap them up. Lots and lots of gullible people out there and some people will milk it to the max.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

From Mon 8 January Alencon Exits and Levels 1 & 2 will be closed for refurbishment works which are due to be completed in 8 to 10 weeks.

From

Link 1

Link 2

Duration of Order: The order will come into effect on 30 October 2017 for 6 Months. (Notwithstanding the above it is expected the closure will be in place during weekday nights for 10 weeks during this period)

From

Link 3

From the company that has the contract to refurbish the multi-story car park.

This project is logistically challenging as numerous traffic and pedestrian routes are in close proximity to the works and will remain live when it is safe for them to do so. We have worked in close contact with the Highways Authority, Basingstoke and Deane Brough Council, and centre management prior to commencement on site. We are managing ongoing night road closures to load steel onto the deck so as to cause the absolute minimum of disruption to retailers, shoppers and the wider local community.

Link 4

edit on 18/1/2018 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Good stuff! It's no wonder you can hear large steel clanks and clunks in one of the videos, then.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I live 16 miles from the Post Code provided in the OP. I actually want to drive there now and investigate whether it’s a crane haha

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

makes sense

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

im pretty sure you cannot even transport, let alone operate that type of heavy machinery (like a crane) without having permits and crap from the city, and this would be a matter of public record. it shouldnt be that hard to get to the bottom of this.
edit on 1/18/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think we *have* gotten to the bottom of this.

Okay, who's got another video for us to check out?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Apologies. One thing I did forget to add was the bit about the crane lifts. See bold.

Effect of Order: All traffic will be prohibited from travelling along Churchill Way, Basingstoke, between Eastrop and Victory Roundabouts, as directed by traffic signs. The closure is to allow for multiple crane lifts for multi storey car park works.

Link

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
If that was a crane the lights would be red and red only as a warning for low flying craft, all construction cranes have red lights fitted..Fact.

And yes, I've worked on site..

What it looks like but there's missing evidence of it being a line of spotlights pointing up and angled slightly away from the centre point of straight up and then moved in an semi circle arc, the relation to each other matches that perfectly as does the speed BUT the lights in the cloud seem to self illuminate a bit more than I'd expect unless the lights on the ground were very powerful BUT then you would expect a trace beam from the ground being caught in the remaining fog / mist. I have looked hard and can't see a trace for any of the lights which would only happen if the fog was only at a set height which does not seem the case but its the most likely answer.

If the sound from video one is correct then there's no helicopter to be heard which if it was something big like a Chinook would be deafening that close (I'm just east of RAF Northolt and get Chinook etc all the time)

And the Work being done for 10 weeks sounds like a good fit BUT, again the cranes would be fitted with red lights and there's NONE on that line of lights, this would be especially prevalent considering its closeness to an RAF base with regular in and out bound craft.

At this exact moment in Northolt there's a slew of cranes between here and Harrow and all are fitted with red lights, one on the arm, one on the main control housing.
edit on 19-1-2018 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I would have to respectfully disagree.

The operating height of this particular crane is likely to be somewhat lower than surrounding buildings:

(circled buildings are the 2nd and 3rd tallest structures in Basingstoke, according to this: www.emporis.com... )

and that's just 2 of them, Basingstoke has quite a few high rises.

If the crane is within 6 km of an airfield, and its height exceeds 10 m or that of the surrounding structures or trees, then the Appointed Person should seek the permission of the airfield manager before starting operations.

(from UK crane operaters handbook)

RAF Odiham appears to be about 8km away from Basingstoke, and maybe 9 to the town centre/location of crane/"UFO". Crane does not exceed the height of surrounding structures.

And in regards to the red light, from the Civil Air Authority "Guidance to crane operators on aviation lighting and notification" PDF (google that title it's easy to find)

Away from the immediate vicinity of an aerodrome and where the maximum crane height is less than 150 meters aviation warning lighting is not a legal requirement. However, given the likelihood that such cranes will be
amongst the tallest structures in any given location the CAA recommends that, in order to ensure that the crane operator fulfls his duty of care towards others, the crane user (contractor) considers using aviation warning
lighting in line with the following:

- Cranes that are between 90 meters and 150 meters (approximately 300 – 500 feet) high being equipped with medium intensity steady red lighting positioned at the highest point and both ends of the jib, such that the lighting will provide an indication of the height of the crane and the radius of the crane jib. Such lighting, which should
be displayed at night, should be positioned so that when displayed it is visible from all directions.

- Cranes that are 60 meters to 90 meters (approximately 200 – 300 feet) high being equipped with low intensity steady
(generically 32 candela) red lighting positioned as close as possible to the highest point and, for tower cranes, to the
top of the fxed structure. Such lighting, which should be displayed at night, should be positioned so that when displayed it is visible from all directions.

Builders, if they don't have to do something by law, probably won't, right? Like, finish your driveway paving that they started 3 months ago.

For all we know, they or Basingstoke town council checked with Odiham, who probably concluded its height is under the regulation or maybe the surrounding high rises had red lights on them.

Regardless of either point, you wouldn't be having Chinooks flying low level over Basingstoke, not unless you want them to come into contact with a high rise. So if that is already in play, and you have a crane that's not really very tall (it just seems taller cos it's on top of a multi storey car park) AND you also have a mobile crane that pops up in fairly quick time, necessity of a red light is probably minimal.

If it weren't for being used on the top of a multi-storey, it might not be a very tall crane at all. I'd imagine the fact it's literally in and out job it has even LESS restrictions. I'm sure if it was mounted there for several days or more, then it might be required to have a light or such, but that wasn't the case here. It didn't stick around, it was an extremely temporary fixture.

And, if you look closely at the original HD MP4's, it's possible the fifth and furthest light is the light on top of the vertical jib (or rather, is positioned where the vertical part connects to the horizontal arm). As TheTruth has speculated, some cranes are in such a shape that there is no vertical part exceeding the horizontal arm.

(no additional vertical height beyond the horizonal arm part's height)
edit on 19-1-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Not sure I go with the respective height theory, as said, we have a large number of cranes between here and Harrow, we also have the Harrow School on the hill which is higher than all the cranes and as its on a hill and has a steeple there's a couple of red lights displayed on the school BUT all the cranes of which I'd say there 10 plus are displaying their red safety lights despite being considerably lower than the school but in reasonable proximity so why are they red lighted (obvious answer).

I'd also say that the supposed crane arm seen in the video appears to be both hellish long, and its definitely long as you can tell from the spacing as the lights swing around (especially the distance from back light to front which the back one looks to be quite distant and out of focus because of that), I'd say that is way longer than any crane arm I've seen but I'm not an er 'crane' spotter (apologies) so I can't rule it out. Also the lights appear to be higher than the building to the right which has the mandatory safety light on for a high rise yet the arm has none?

Its possible its an optical illusion and its lower but perspective suggests otherwise.

I'm NOT trying to make it a UFO, I've suggested a lights theory from the ground but UFO's no, the movement is too uniform with something attached in a line. The only way to show the real story is day time photos, although cranes are movable its logical that this crane would be in one spot only because of the length of that arm so could feed the whole site....

Paul...

Oh, as for builders being a law unto themselves and doing barely what is needed, I fully agree but the crane H&S routine seems too important to miss, certainly the cranes around here are all very night visible even if they are barely at a 3rd floor height..(2 cranes outside Morrisons in Harrow, very low but lit up). They are also about 100 - 200ft away from the main shopping centre which is also way higher and has cranes and spires with red lights on.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
"If that was a crane the lights would be red and red only as a warning for low flying craft, all construction cranes have red lights fitted...Fact. And yes, I've worked on site."

Well you better get over to this jobsite and straighten these guys out:

www.comansa.com...

Buncha rookies over there

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Lol...Hey, I don't know the rules for the USA....is that building a large wall

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Aye, the zoom on that phone is manic, but that's all that is. Thanks to the original video witness for the daytime photo.

(give or take a little bit of rotation/angle)

Churchill Plaza, the building that's just behind the floodlight, basingstoke's 2nd tallest building apparently, probably has a red light, but you can see how far away it is and how thick the fog is and of course the glare from the floodlight filling a large area. I'd personally put the crane behind the floodlight somewhere, and a red light, if at all, is washed out by the floodlight in the fog.

This also tightens up our angle and view seen in the video.

Within that path you definitely have the Alencon levels 1 & 2. The bright spotlight is located just to the right of the building with the pin "The Malls Shopping Centre".

From Mon 8 January Alencon Exits and Levels 1 & 2 will be closed for refurbishment works which are due to be completed in 8 to 10 weeks.

Another optical effect is that there is only 2 trees between the camera and the crane and yet it looks like it's sweeping over forests... It's actually quite captivating, but that is simply what the fog and an intense zoom can do.

Anyway, my energy is fully expended on this crane now lol.

Basingstoke does have UFOs, but it's not this. It's the same ones everyone else in the UK has, white star like lights or multicoloured flashing plasma balls that generally don't land in or around cities and towns. They stay up in the air and the most who come into contact with them are pilots who see them whizz by. Newspapers don't know the first #ing thing about the real phenomena and they seemingly have no interest to represent it.

These balls of light may come down once in a while, maybe they imprint a crop circle or have a structure or whatnot. They don't all line up as 5 in a row in Basingstoke town center and pivot around a 180 degree axis a few times in a row over the space of 30 mins with loud construction sounds and public alerts accompanying them, not without them being seen by lots of other people who instantly know it's a crane or not. Crappy anology but - you throw a ball at a lake, it goes down and it splashes. You do this 100 times. It's not like 1 of those times it goes straight up and never comes back down. The UFO phenomena is similar, in that it has a strong, lengthy pattern that spans many many years, many many witnesses, many same or similar case scenarios etc. This story is that ball going up and not coming down.

But as I say in a very early post, can understand why the witness could be confused. There's nothing wrong with that. But UFO phenomena? This isn't it.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

deleted just saw post above.
edit on 19-1-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join