It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People believe studies proving cigarettes are unhealthy are false propaganda?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Can you quote where my beef is against nicotine?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
Who knows.
My great great Grandma smoked and lived to be 103.

My grandpa logged before the safety regulations, was alcoholic and chewed tobacco for decades, was borderline diabetic and lived to 100.

Not saying ti's good, but chronic worrying about health concerns isn't going to make people live longer. Being active is the most important thing, even if you're fat or got a long list of troubles. My grandpa sat a lot watching tv, especially when he got older, but something I'll never forget is how he always found things to do around his place. He had several acres and lots of lawn to mow. He cleared away trees. If he got too bored, he'd make something. He didn't always have to do these things, but it helped him feel better. And I suppose several wives didn't hurt. He wanted to be with someone.
edit on 1/7/2018 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Most people know of the medical properties of nicotine, and yes, I had noticed you did not say anything about nicotine

For some people who have problems in the NOS pathways consuming foods high in niacin can cause health problems. small Taurine supplements or consuming more meats might actually be a better solution for them than cigarettes.

I know, I go off topic in my responses sometimes.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
You can have a healthy active 40 year old who eats right, exercises, never smoke, drank or did any sort of drugs keel over from a heart attack. Then have someone who lived the polar opposite live to be over 100.

Not saying that certain life styles could increase your risk of a premature death. But as the old saying goes "when it's your time. It's your time"

Closer to the truth than people imagine.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Agreed, smoking is likely very harmful (save for some unknown substance that causes ailments appearing to be from smoking).

I don't dispute the research/science, and for every person that smoked and lived a full life, there are thousands that didn't. I'm sure individual biology and body chemistry has a lot to do with it too, but mostly is something that is still not taken seriously enough as a health risk.

For all the misguided souls attacking the right to own firearms, if they only focused on the real killers in this country (smoking, drinking, unhealthy foodstuffs) they might actually make a difference.

If nothing else, this is a perfect example of propaganda for the sake of propaganda. Would be nice to see big tobacco/alcohol regulated/infringed upon for once. The same way our actual rights are trampled on.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Who knows.

Do you have any actual statistics to back this up?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Anyone with a modicum of logic understands that what we have been told about smoking must be flawed, as countries outside of the West with high numbers of smokers, don't have the same amount of sickness. The Asian Paradox, springs to mind. Its easy to say my loved one died of smoking, ignoring the fact that they loved sugar drinks, takeaway foods, and lots of Dairy.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I never started smoking because of family history. Asthma, Farmers Lung, bronchitis, pneumonia in my mother's family. I decided as a teen ager that our weak spot was our lungs and didn't want to add to the stress. My Mom and aunt died of lung cancer in their 80's. When I worked in a office where people smoked I had bronchitis at least twice a year until it was banned and I no longer got bronchitis.
Commercial cigarettes stink even before they are smoked. The tobacco stinks. My SO rolls his own with pipe tobacco. The tobacco smells almost sweet. He smokes in the bathroom with exhaust fan on so I don't get sick. I have notice the yellow residue on the walls is greatly reduced and the windows in his car do not get dirty near as fast either. He doesn't smoke as much or cough as much. Other people I know have quite smoking with much less problem compared to when they attempted to quit on commercial tobacco cigarettes.
There are cancers that are very prevalent among smokers but non-smokers rarely get. I read only 40% of lung cancers were directly linked to tobacco. Our lungs filter polluted air all the time and are exposed to many toxic substances.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Anyone with a modicum of logic understands that what we have been told about smoking must be flawed, as countries outside of the West with high numbers of smokers, don't have the same amount of sickness. The Asian Paradox, springs to mind. Its easy to say my loved one died of smoking, ignoring the fact that they loved sugar drinks, takeaway foods, and lots of Dairy.

There are several flaws in your logic?

Do they smoke at the same rates as the United States?

Does the same number of people smoke per 1000?

How many individuals smoke in each country? Japan has a dropping number of smokers down to 20 million while the USA has 36.5 million smokers.

Are their laws concerning tobacco products or import more restrictive? Other words, are their cigarettes not as chemically manipulatived as those in the USA?

Who Smokes Most: A surprising map of smoking rates by country
By Max Fisher

www.washingtonpost.com...

Nobody lights up like Eastern Europe, where average annual consumption can exceed 2,000 cigarettes per person. The very highest rate is in Serbia (2,861 cigarettes per person per year), according to data from 71 countries compiled by the World Lung Foundation and American Cancer Society. Fourth-place Russia, not far behind at 2,786 cigarettes per person per year, is now finally dealing with its smoking problem.

One in three young Chinese men will die from smoking, study says

www.bbc.com...

In 2010, around one million people in China died from tobacco usage. But researchers say that if current trends continue, that will double to two million people - mostly men - dying every year by 2030, making it a "growing epidemic of premature death".

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Smoking in Japan, though historically less restricted by law than in many other nations, has significantly changed in recent years. Tobacco use has been in nearly constant decline since 1996 and the decline has been mainly accelerating in recent years.[1] Per capita consumption in 2015 was 1,618 cigarettes, roughly 46% of the peak figure in 1977 and a number last seen in 1956.[2] In 2015, the adult smoking rate was 19.3%, 29.7% of Japanese men and 9.7% of Japanese women.[3] This is the lowest recorded figure since Japan Tobacco began surveying in 1965. As of July 2016, just over 20 million people smoked in Japan, though the nation remained one of the world's largest tobacco markets.[4]

www.cdc.gov...

In 2015, about 15 of every 100 U.S. adults aged 18 years or older (15.1%) currently* smoked cigarettes. This means an estimated 36.5 million adults in the United States currently smoke cigarettes.2 More than 16 million Americans live with a smoking-related disease.2

edit on 7-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Addedand fixed

edit on 7-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Fixed quotes

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It doesn't really mean anything on either side of the argument, I could be throwing junk science at you and you could be throwing it back at me. In the end it comes down to common sense and risk management, does inhaling moderate amounts of natural tobacco smoke, stop you eating a load of calories and thus stopping weight related illnesses. I think it does. On the other hand is puffing two packs of , "luckies" a day a good health move? probably not.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Who knows.

Same here.... Though my great grandmother smoked a pipe. Yup... You heard that right!

They also lived with no AC in the Louisiana summertime with an old fashioned fan in one hand and a pipe in the other. No electricity either.

I remember it all well. They didn't speak a lick of english.

The same was true for all of my 'great' family. They lived long, ate fat, lots of red meat and live to a very ripe old age. I don't recall any of them dying of lung cancer though I do admit it's not good for you. I feel that I have a pretty good chance of dying from other stuff than my camels. Who knows... Not I

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Who knows.

How would I have "actual statistics to back this up"?
I don't care if you believe me or not.
It's true.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Who knows.

It's true.

Are we talking a few home rolled cigarettes a day? Or two or three packs a day of Lucky Strikes?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

Who knows.

It's true.

Are we talking a few home rolled cigarettes a day? Or two or three packs a day of Lucky Strikes?

I don't know how many she smoked a day.
I wasn't around for most of her life.
But, she smoked LM's until she died.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

It doesn't really mean anything on either side of the argument, I could be throwing junk science at you and you could be throwing it back at me. In the end it comes down to common sense and risk management, does inhaling moderate amounts of natural tobacco smoke, stop you eating a load of calories and thus stopping weight related illnesses. I think it does. On the other hand is puffing two packs of , "luckies" a day a good health move? probably not.

I understand what you are saying. But it has been proven over and over again mass produced tobacco contains radiation that exposes lungs to alpha radiation.

The cigarette companies fight medical studies with bought testimony from the chemical industry. Find it odd the cigarette companies have to pay for expert opinions outside the medical community for its junk science.

A medical community that inforces a certain standard of ethics concerning individuals health?
edit on 7-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Fixed wording

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I agree, I would have all the Taylor made cigarettes banned. They are fifty percent fillers , and reconstituted crap which is as dicey as the food preservatives. But the people that are constituted to protect the health of the consumer were compromised years ago. The only Tobacco products which should be sold , should be Pipe, Cigars and rolling tobacco. Moderate smoking would be in my opinion be no more than ten cigarettes a day.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Who knows.

It's true.

Apologies, I quoted the wrong person.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

a reply to: c2oden

Which is strange as the longest living humans have been heavy smokers.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Statistics are like A holes everyone has one...but this is interesting vwww.sott.net...

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

a reply to: GetHyped

Statistics are like A holes everyone has one

Eh?

...but this is interesting vwww.sott.net...

So, nothing but some stories?

Try some of the links to actual studies collated here:

www.cancerresearchuk.org...

There are literally thousands of studies on smoking tobacco, and they all agree: smoking is harmful and is likely to shorten your lifespan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join