It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People believe studies proving cigarettes are unhealthy are false propaganda?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
My grandma died from smoking.

She was a chain smoker and couldn't stop

The doctors had to remove one lung that was cancerous but she couldn't stop smoking. Then they had to remove part of her other lung but she couldn't stop smoking.

She was on oxygen to help her breath but she would still hold cigarettes up to her lips even though she didn't have the lung power to inhale.

Just shows you how addictive smoking is.

Cigarettes are the only product that I know of that when used correctly have a good chance of killing you. Look at all the product liability lawsuits that you hear about and then think about a substance that is both addictive and deadly that is still legal.

Why is it still legal?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Moderate smoking a natural Tobacco product , can do very little harm, but the argument gets very muddy, as Taylor made cigarettes, are half full of chemicals okayed by the government for human consumption. With controlled amounts of nicotine etc. etc. Pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. I doubt whether cigar smokers die at all. I am fed up with the amount of crap and junk science promulgated from the anti smoking lobby, which was originally funded by Monsanto as they are only in it for the overall health of the human race. Well they must be as they are now in the Big Pharma business. Mabey as they cant get a patent on nicotine, they will stop people self medicating for Alzheimer's, by having a smoke, and sell it to them in a pill form. No one can deny that as an appetite suppressor we were all a lot thinner when everyone smoked, and the amount of diabetes was a lot lower. So if we follow the money , who really benefits from the anti smoking lobby?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

On the other hand,why is alcohol still legal? Its all about the dirty dollar.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If you smoke over say ten cigarettes a day, the bad effects begin to outweigh the good effects. Tobacco is a medicine. Now they are messing with the tobacco to keep it fresh and to increase the potency. I like natural tobacco best. I smoke about fifteen cigarettes a day, but only smoke half of them. A one pound bag lasts me a month, that makes two cartons or four hundred cigarettes. So that comes out to about fifteen a day. I have been thinking about smoking a pipe, throwing half the cigarette away seems to be a waste.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If you walk down a street you are inhaling worse carcinogens than you do by smoking. But everyone needs a scapegoat.
So we look at cigarettes, not automobile emissions, because cigarettes only effect a few not the majority.

Everyone who thinks cigarettes are an evil, are missing out on true lung pollutants, and are letting their opinion get in the way of reality.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ

That's a hard one,and I believe you. But my wife's grandfather smoked for 70yrs,died at 91,and from what I know it wasn't smoking related.....I think it all comes down to genetic predisposition,well in some cases anyways.

For the most part I would lean on this one regarding ANYTHING... but I do believe that the number of people who can smoke or even chew nicotine gum without consequences is a small number.
My dad more or less died from smoking last febuary... the chemicals in cigarettes destroy lung tissue, the nicotine in cigs and gum damage blood vessels and increase the risk of clots.

But I wont recognise the fact that a select few will live a long life anyways.
Problem is that smoking is still very public and having been a smoker myself for 13 years I dont even wanna breathe second hand smoke.
The majority should be taken into consideration first and foremost along with expenses to public health service and that meand it should be either banned or people who choose to smoke should have increased medical help prices when it comes to smoking related illnesses.
edit on 6/1/18 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice

That's a hard one,and I believe you. But my wife's grandfather smoked for 70yrs,died at 91,and from what I know it wasn't smoking related.....I think it all comes down to genetic predisposition,well in some cases anyways.

For the most part I would lean on this one regarding ANYTHING... but I do believe that the number of people who can smoke or even chew nicotine gum without consequences is a small number.
My dad more or less died from smoking last febuary... the chemicals in cigarettes destroy lung tissue, the nicotine in cigs and gum damage blood vessels and increase the risk of clots.

Problem is that smoking is still very public and having been a smoker myself for 13 years I dont even wanna breathe second hand smoke.
The majority should be taken into consideration first and foremost along with expenses to public health service and that meand it should be either banned or people who choose to smoke should have increased medical help prices when it comes to smoking related illnesses.

Nicotine is the basis for many medicines. Nicotine turns to nicotinic acid when it interacts with the lungs, which would be a vitamin. Nicotine is not the bad part of cigarettes, it is the carbons that cause damage to our bodies. One of those carbons is carbon monoxide. Actually cigarette smoke kills microbes and also can kill viruses. There is nitric oxides in the smoke.

Only about ten percent of people can get cancer from tobacco smoke. Smoking does cause other issues though, but they are still blaming everything on smoking tobacco when it is not causing many of the diseases they blame it for.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Nicotine is the basis for many medicines. Nicotine turns to nicotinic acid when it interacts with the lungs, which would be a vitamin. Nicotine is not the bad part of cigarettes, it is the carbons that cause damage to our bodies. One of those carbons is carbon monoxide. Actually cigarette smoke kills microbes and also can kill viruses. There is nitric oxides in the smoke.

Only about ten percent of people can get cancer from tobacco smoke. Smoking does cause other issues though, but they are still blaming everything on smoking tobacco when it is not causing many of the diseases they blame it for.

Due to the scientific veracity of this post, the USOC has now defined nicotine as a performance enhancing drug, along with THC and '___'.

...the only athletes testing positive so far were ALL in the same chemistry lab at Cal-Tech.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
Everyone who thinks cigarettes are an evil, are missing out on true lung pollutants, and are letting their opinion get in the way of reality.

Seriously?

Fact: Nicotine is MORE addictive than coc aine, morphine, heroin or alcohol...

On a scale from 1 - 100 Nicotine is the most addictive drug - even more addictive than crack coc aine!

Some smokers end up having their limbs amputated.

99 - Nicotine
98 - Smoked methamphetamine
97 - Crack coc aine
92 - Injected methamphetamine
83 - Valium
82 - Seconal
80 - Heroin
80 - Nasal amphetamine
71 - Nasal coc aine
70 - Caffeine
60 - PCP
22 - Marijuana
20 - Ecstasy
19 - Psilocybin
16 - '___'
15 - Mescaline

Source : Chemistry in Britain, December 1998

Smoking Facts

Tobacco corporations are drug-pushers. Their profits depend on getting teens hooked on nicotine and keeping them addicted, always craving (and buying) more cigarettes. Other drug dealers who follow such a business model go to prison — but Big Tobacco is deemed a success, donating heavily to politicians, especially Republicans.

Deep inside, most Americans realize that the industry’s “get ’em hooked” strategy is evil. That’s why a Florida jury awarded $23.6 billion to the widow of an addicted man who smoked uncontrollably for two decades and died of lung cancer at the young age of 36.

Koval said nicotine is “as addictive as heroin. It’s a sure-fire recipe for consumer loyalty to a deadly product, used by companies that have been determined by the federal courts to be liars and racketeers, guilty of putting profits ahead of public health.”

“It’s killed 20 million [Americans] in 50 years,” the magazine added. “Cigarette smoking is the No. 1 cause of preventable death in the United States. We wish that nicotine-pushers could be treated just like heroin-pushers, coc aine-pushers and similar operators.

What if tobacco companies were treated like other drug pushers?

Is there anything lower than a drug dealer? In some ways, they are worse than murderers. The average murderer kills but a single victim. The drug dealer kills many. And even when he doesn't kill, he harms. He hooks children. He destroys families. He robs society of its productivity. He drives up the cost of health care for everyone. And is there any doubt today who the worst drug dealers in America are?

According to published reports, the Food and Drug Administration has decided that nicotine is a drug. So it follows that the worst drug dealers in America are cigarette companies. And it appears they have known that they have been selling an addictive drug for a long time.

And the AMA said internal tobacco industry documents provide "detailed and damning evidence" that the industry deliberately covered up the addictive and cancer-causing nature of cigarettes for more than 30 years. Though the tobacco industry denies it, some experts believe that the industry has long manipulated the nicotine content of cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

But why would addiction be important to the tobacco industry? Because it is a unique industry in one respect: It must create at least 1,200 new smokers per day to replace the people who die every day from smoking. But considering that people have been told by the government for some years now that smoking is dangerous, why do they continue to smoke?

More people die each year from smoking than from alcohol, heroin, coc aine, suicide, homicide, car accidents, fires and AIDS combined. The tobacco industry and its representatives in Congress point out over and over that smoking is legal. It is. But coc aine was once legal in America, too. The tobacco companies, however, need to be treated like what they are: drug dealers. And in America, we jail drug dealers, don't we?

When smoke clears, these are the worst drug dealers

edit on 1.7.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Yes seriously.
Automobiles produce worse carcinogens than cigarettes and are far more prevalent in today's society than cigarettes.

But I do thank you for proving my point about scapegoats.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Yes seriously.
Automobiles produce worse carcinogens than cigarettes and are far more prevalent in today's society than cigarettes.

I love my car.

I have never tried to smoke my car.

I thought about it once, but figured I would burn my mouth on the tail pipe.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

Yes seriously.

I love my car.

Ever thought about breathing the exhaust? I've had a couple friends who have. . . Luckily they decided to call poison control and a 51/50 later they are still alive.

Twice now scapegoat over facts.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
So if we follow the money , who really benefits from the anti smoking lobby?

Those who smoke obviously...

Smoking Can Cost You $1 Million to $2 Million in a Lifetime

It may seem absurd, or perhaps just a little over-the-top conspiratorial, to think that while major cigarette companies have been paying millions for anti-smoking campaigns, they've been secretly increasing cigarettes' nicotine content to make them more addictive.

But that's exactly what two separate studies, one by the Massachussetts Department of Public Health and the other by the Harvard School of Public Health, have found.

The results of the most recent research, published in January 2007, show that nicotine levels in cigarettes from all major manufacturers increased 11 percent from 1997 to 2005.

Are tobacco companies increasing the nicotine content in cigarettes?

Herbert quoted the once-ubiquitous Winston Man from the magazine ads, David Goerlitz, who recounted what a Reynolds executive told him during a photo shoot: Goerlitz asked the executive during a break if he or his Reynolds colleagues smoked, to which the Reynolds exec shook his head, and replied, "Are you kidding? We reserve that right for the poor, the young, the black and the stupid."

Inside Big Tobacco's plans to kill a billion people

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yes seriously.

I love my car.

Ever thought about breathing the exhaust? I've had a couple friends who have. . . Luckily they decided to call poison control and a 51/50 later they are still alive.

No, inhaling engine exhaust always sounded like a bad idea to me...

It must be a California thing....

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Yes seriously.

I love my car.

No, inhaling engine exhaust always sounded like a bad idea to me...

It must be a California thing....

Do you walk down a street that has some automobile traffic?

My friends were living in Washington at the time. ( Both of them independently).

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I just read that they are putting fluoride in cigarettes.

Holy guacamole, that would be enough to make me extremely pissed if I were a smoker...

originally posted by: m khan
My son quit smoking a few months ago. He had tried before but each time got too depressed.. There is fluoride in the tobacco to make it harder to quit. Coming off of fluoride leaves a person feeling suicidal. It is also possible the the cancer causing properties in cigarettes are a result of the fluoride poisoning because fluoride has radioactive polonium waste in it. It also has lead. Considering that our medical industry was dominated by Nazis. at least the pre-Nazis, the ones who told the Nazis what to do, it is quite possible this was a plot to kill Americans by the medical industry also to make money from giving people cancer.

originally posted by: beefragafragious
I've been doing research on fluoride for the past few weeks. What I uncovered is truly frightening. It is a neuro-toxin, it attacks the nervous system.

Fluoride will enter the brain easily carrying with it the attached aluminum. Ever wonder how the Nazi's were able to get millions of Jews to walk themselves into their own death willingly? Fluoride has a profound effect of causing people to become more docile and open to suggestion.

Why most people with ADD and ADHD develope into smokers. On a side note, I'll mention again how fluoride enters the brain tissue easily and deposits aluminum at will, which has a conspicuous effect of killing brain cells and clogging up dopamine receptors.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

If you walk down a street you are inhaling worse carcinogens than you do by smoking. But everyone needs a scapegoat.
So we look at cigarettes, not automobile emissions, because cigarettes only effect a few not the majority.

Lol, I know, right?!

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

Where does all that tobacco tax money go?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Yep, the wife gets sick all the time, while I rarely do.

I'm not afraid of pollution either. Smokers will survive!

Some of us, anyway.

I wish I never started. It's expensive.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

My husband and I never smoked....he got kidney cancer several years ago.....normally it appears neat the outer left edge but his was much more to the right of center...the kicker...the oncologist said he got it because his parents smoked...all I could think was we are all doomed because all the people smoked in the fifties...... how can that be possible????

interesting tidbit...nicotine actually helps people with parkinsons disease......another interesting bit...People with downs sydrome very very RARely get cancer...there has been studies... because they get a double copy of a chromosone they get double good stuff that fights cancer prevents the blood vessels that feed the cancer cells

speaking of cancer anyone see that article about this really rare eye cancer that usul ally shows up in men....6 women in the same area have it....wonder what is up with that?
edit on 7-1-2018 by research100 because: (no reason given)

speaking of how addictive nicotine is..when my friend was in the hospital dying of cancer (not lung cancer) all doped up...I look over one day and she was mimicking lighting up a cigarette with her hands.....and she was on very heavy drugs to control the pain
edit on 7-1-2018 by research100 because: added 2 sentences

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join