It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gentleperson's guide to forum spies [and other disinformation actors]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I wish there were a magical "bat symbol" we could put up in the air, for the legends: WOS, Masqua, and all the visionaries/luminaries we've lost over the years

edit on 1/6/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
True forum spies won’t comment.

They’ll just log IPs and flag people to their employers.

And contrary to popular opinion...
They don’t really pay for disinfo on many topics because they know enough people are gullible enough to spread it for free.

Sad.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I hid this away a couple of four or five years ago......from ATS

same post
edit on 6-1-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I generally love these sorts of things.

There are certain things that happen sometimes, certain things that have been said. Actions taken, stands issued, postures readied. It is about my biggest heros in life.

Mr Obarry...Mrs Clinton, her wonderful husband, thier professional team of lawyers, politicians and generally good people.

I am discussed when anyone posts any facts about my heros. I have no room for the facts, or the truth.

I will go one step farther and say I believe that when people inject truth, logic or reason into any important thread...it is to derail it, to make it slide, slip or fail.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I posted a similar article sometime back.

Trolls 101 —- How To Identify Trolls And Forum Spies

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How To Identify Trolls And Forum Spies
(Cryptome) Cointelpro Techniques for dilution, misdirection and control of a internet forum. There are several techniques for the control and manipulation of a internet forum no matter what, or who is on it.

Technique #1 – ‘Forum Sliding

If a very sensitive posting of a critical nature has been posted on a forum – it can be quickly removed from public view by ‘forum sliding.’ In this technique a number of unrelated posts are quietly prepositioned on the forum and allowed to ‘age.’ Each of these misdirectional forum postings can then be called upon at will to trigger a ‘forum slide.’ The second requirement is that several fake accounts exist, which can be called upon, to ensure that this technique is not exposed to the public.

Technique #2 – ‘Consensus Cracking’

And on and on.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Great

Glad to see others sharing this vital information with the community

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The interesting thing to me is that it's entirely possible that most shills don't even know that they are shills.

"Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

No matter how clever most think they are, those that seek to program them are much smarter and covert in their methods.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It's like...when you think about it. You don't actually know that anyone else is real!

You're all just NPCs in my simulation man...

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Those Who Speak From the Heart are Well Thought of . Those who Practice Deceit We All are Aware Of.........

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
lately I cannot tell if it is the GEC, or just a seriously disturbed individual who became broken psychologically and now actually believes their endless looping of introductions and # posting is somehow making some kind of impact. All I know is that it just becomes easier and easier to see through.

The personality profile has already been logged and is quite easy to spot every single week, multiple times a week. Word placement, themes, and names now fit a recognizable pattern in a fairly routine manner.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
People do that crap right here on ATS. They don't always use multiple accounts. It's usually one person on a thread who will just start replying to every single person who commented with these inane one liner replies, and they do it until they've at least made another page roll over. It's super obvious that they're doing it on purpose, and there is one person who does it a whole hell of a lot. But there are others too, and always the same people.

I honestly had no idea people actually did things like this until very recently. I thought it was just silly to imagine people actually spending their time trolling and disrupting in an effort to suppress information. But once you know what you're looking for, there are an astonishing amount of people who appear to be doing exactly that.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Oh they do it. It goes back to the 9/11 No Planer COINTELPRO squads.

You'd do a big detailed post that would just annihilate their disinfo drivel and they'd just steamroll the page over constantly re'iterating themselves as if they 100% had the entire debate all along, so that anyone clicking LastPost only ever saw them shining. And I mean brazen it'd end up turning into pages of calling them out on it and they'd still push on. They'd all just talk right over all their detractors even as if none of us were even in the room, just constantly re-confirming their BS to each other for any newcomers to the "BS Loop". Of course with the data its a more specific type of debating there. Everyone could see it was pure cooridinated though, yet it still killed the movement after a year of that BS in parallel coupled with Obama winning and all the liberals turning into sheep again.

These days its more about just derailing the threads that damage your partisan / hate group, making the posts extremely annoying and tedious to try and respond to if possible, and just talk in pointless endless demagogue bigot bait if possible circles until there only ever was the partisan last word times five and YOU "WIN". Never any actual intent on intellectual discourse, nope, just damage control via deflection & derailment, all you gotta do is not name call or cursed word and get away with it for years even...

edit on 7-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I like how it uses ATS as an example.

Of course, that is incorrect and that certainly doesn't happen here. There are definitely not long standing members who use logical fallacies to win over the unassuming.

Can we name names??? Can we? Please?!

Well done for posting this. I guarantee the usual suspects will not show up here.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Depends how the contrary point of view is presented.

If you read the link in the op it is not telling people to disregard contrary viewpoints. It is explaining techniques used to manipulate forums.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Real easy,all one has to do is some research,but these days the public is told use the quick easy method,disregard anything that is remotely true,this is gotta be true,it says so on my Smart phone,self absorbed individuals will never change,because change means to educate yourself,but these days that seems to be a bother

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I think there are bots flagging trump posts.. not just for, but against him as well..

If you go down the list. Almost every trump post quickly gets between 50-70 flags..

Almost no matter how trivial, untrue or just ridiculous..

While well thought out OPs with way more traffic get 7 to 20ish..

When big news comes out that the media and government were lying all along, I would expect his popularity to shoot up at least somewhat. Plus there are some who think its a game of which side has more stars. Doesn't ATS protect against bots?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

BWAHAHAHA AND IT GOT 32...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

A)Russia did nothing wrong.. we try and install pro-american leaders All the time and would never pass up the chance to put our choice guy on the Russian throne. Russia did what was best for Russia.. that’s expected and respected..

Trump on the other hand should have been doing what was best for America .. not Russia and not trump.

Assuming it all went down as theorized.. then trump did what was best for him and Russia at our expense.

Do I need to repaste the email released by trumps son literally and specifically spelling out the “Russian collusion” theory?!?! Lol

So imho there isn’t even any doubt something exactly like that happened..

So I don’t know what you mean about conflated.. (assuming you mean overblown)...

B) If me and you did the same thing, but without trumps/DNC knowledge so niether party had any reason to protect us. They BOTH make a bi-partisan example of us and we get put under the jail...

C) How is making a deal with a foriengn adversary nation to leak stolen government documents to take down your political opponent on the eve of your own presidential race?!?! Not espionage???

How is it not accepting something of value from a foreign government??? (Another law)

For the record, I’m not trying to say this is the worst thing a president has ever done.. imho it doesn’t touch bush lying the US into Iraq then giving his private company the rebuild contract.

I don’t see anyone topping that and him and Cheney didn’t go to jail either.. so..

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Treason , espionage, rebellion and revolution are POV terms. Not objective ones..

From a US pov (assuming trump did whatever the worst case scenario is) it would be treasonous. From a Russian pov he would be a hero..

Neither side is objectively wrong.. both sides are just looking from different angles.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I really believe stuff like this happens, and other much more creative techniques.

I think moderators also just flat out erase things (have witnessed it) stating other reasons for deleting the post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join