It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Neo-Nazis Crash German WWII Memorial Ceremony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Neo-Nazis interrupted a ceremony mourning the 35,000 Germans who died during allied airstrikes on Dresden that occurred February 13, 1945. The ceremony, meant to be a somber occasion of reconciliation between the U.S., Britain and Germany, turned ugly as clashes occurred between the far-right Neo-Nazis and far-left anarchist protesters. German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder condemned the Neo-Nazis and released a statement saying "We will oppose in every way these attempts to reinterpret history. We will not allow cause and effect to be reversed."

www.timesonline.co.uk
THOUSANDS of Neo-Nazis waving black flags and brandishing flickering torches on a silent, spectral march hijacked a sombre day of remembrance yesterday for the victims of the British and American bombing of Dresden.

It was probably the biggest display of Neo-Nazi strength since the war and — although the 6,000 marchers were disciplined — it mocked the message of forgiveness and reconciliation that was echoing from the pulpits of Dresden’s churches.

The 60th anniversary of the firestorm that killed more than 35,000 people on the night of February 13 has become the focus for Germany’s mourning of the wartime dead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Neo-Nazis are trying to rewrite history by making Nazi Germany look like an innocent victim of World War II. I applaud Schroeder's strong stance in denouncing them and their message.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What is their reasoning? Somehow they were made to go to war instead of paying for the first world war. Imbeciles.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
By no stretch of the imagination were the Germans "right" in WWII, however just to be fair, I can see their side of things.
Hitler was way wrong, and he wasn't just trying to get a starving nation out from under the reparations, but the German people who let him rise to power were just desperate. If America were in such a position I'd want to go to war to get us out of it too. It's really ugly, but that is basically what human civilization has been doing for all of recorded history; when things get tight you take what you need from the people next door.

OK, you can start flaming me for understanding the plight of the average german citizen in post WWI now.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I find it funny that the neo-nazis were holding signs comparing the bombing of Dresden to Vietnam, Bosnia, and Iraq. Like they actually care about the suffering of the people in those countries....
They aren't aryans after all...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I don't think there is anything wrong with understanding the plight of the Germans during the twenties and thirties. Times were hard and it is human nature to look for scapegoats. Such an understanding does not equate to condoning Nazism and the extermination of entire races and classes of human beings.

We should have empathy with the Germans of that era so that we can better understand the conditions that drive a people to do their worst. What I know of the rise of Nazism in Germany, however, is pretty damning considering the level of sheer thuggery that characterized the Nazi party. It really sounds like an epidemic of sociopathy, to resurrect an obsolete term.

Personally, they should take the Nazis and the anarchists and place them in a highly confined space and let them take care of themselves for the rest of us.

[edit on 05/2/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I know some Germans who lived in Germany during this period, one who was in the youth movement. It's understandably hard for them to talk about but at the time, Hitler said all the right things and played and their pride and nationalism. When I asked him why he joined the youth movement, he said it was what everyone else his age was doing. They just had no idea what was coming. It was just the cool thing to do. Sad.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
well the dresden bombing was pretty excessive, i mean not even nukes burn the air for days like dresden was burning.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Personally, they should take the Nazis and the anarchists and place them in a highly confined space and let them take care of themselves for the rest of us.
[edit on 05/2/13 by GradyPhilpott]

That's really an outstanding idea. I've thought for a while that gang members and other predatory criminals should have special prisons in which there are not guards or bars except for at the perimeter. Give them all the drugs and weapons they want and let nature take its course.

new topics

top topics

join