It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic lawmaker: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ruh-roh!

A democrat suggests that women are dressing too sexy, and even better? It's a female.

Rep. Marcy Kaptur told ladies in closed-door meeting that how they dress can invite sexual advance and misconduct. Ouch! I wonder what she was thinking to suggest it?

'I saw a member yesterday with her cleavage so deep it was down to the floor,' Rep. Marcy Kaptur tells fellow Democrats at a private meeting.

Kaptur is from Ohio, but she sure sounds like one of those radical, crazy, right-wingers doesn't she?

Kaptur said women on Capitol Hill should have to abide by a stricter dress code, like those adopted by the military or corporations.

“Maybe I’ll get booed for saying this, but many companies and the military [have] a dress code,” she said. “I have been appalled at some of the dress of ... members and staff. Men have to wear ties and suits.”

She did tell Politico that she never meant to suggest that women were inviting it or to blame for it, but I guess she's trying to walk a fine line in suggesting that relaxed professionalism leads to relaxed standards in other ways and ... well, being accused of blaming women in today's society.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's one of those truths that men are crucified for ever mentioning. Glad a woman said it; won't change a thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Some of us try to bring it up here and there, but we are mostly more on the right side of the spectrum so we just get dissed as being puritanical religious fuddy duddies. Doesn't change the truth though. If you dress to excite a person, you will tend to excite that kind of interest and in some people, you just don't want to go there because they're going to abuse it and not respect you.

link   
Kudos to her! I just listened to my husband griping about a CEO who was wearing a blouse that was cut so low he could see the beginning of the under curve of her breasts! Needless to say, he and I have seen this more often.

I will have to check this democrat out...she actually seems intelligent!

Edit add: I have dressed 'scantily' at times too. Yes, I am looking for complements or acknowledgement, I will admit. I would never cry harassment! I am flirting. I may have been fortunate that no one had taken it too far...I simply made it clear I was not interested. Yet, I know when I dress up to look 'good' and not dress professional. When I am all professional...I do dress accordingly. Definitely limit most skin and layer my clothing!
edit on 12 13 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

link   

'I saw a member yesterday with her cleavage so deep it was down to the floor,' Rep. Marcy Kaptur tells fellow Democrats at a private meeting.

Was she lying on the floor or was it Nancy Pelosi?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

She forgot to route that through her Newspeak filter.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Was she lying on the floor or was it Nancy Pelosi?

Ahhh ... Here I am working very hard to keep from succumbing to the stomach flu as it is, and you had to bring up Nancy Pelosi in that way.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Sowwy!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

This is EXACTLY the kind of verbal faux pas that should destroy her career because it can easily be twisted into victim-blaming.

It's a 'dog-whistle' for sexual harassers in the workplace!

It's 'code' for sexist misogynistic sexists!!!!

PLUS, I think there was a *cough* 'unspoken word in the air.' What she REALLY meant was, “I have been appalled at some of the dress of ... members and staff. Men have to wear ties and suits, GIRLS.” *Maureen Dowd style*

edit on 12/13/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Women don't dress for men.

Women dress to compete with other women.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

A woman might dress to compete with another woman, but in many cases isn't it ultimately a competition over a man?
edit on 12/13/2017 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

To an extent, I agree, but it is competition for male attraction. It is instinctual. It is not for survival...but for one upmanship of the other women.

Most nature shows have the male species battling, dancing, and preening just for a chance to mate with a female! Where have women humans gone so reversed?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yeesh, Annee.

I dress to make myself look less fat super skinny, like I am.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: Annee

I am curious about the validity of your first claim. A woman might be dress to compete with another woman, but in many cases isn't it ultimately a competition over a man?

She's not competing the WITH the man.

She is competing FOR the man.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have also found in the years since my prurient youth that I find conservative dress on a woman more attractive than "sexy" dress. It speaks to what is going on in the mind. I know that I am not alone in this thinking.
edit on 12/13/2017 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Yeesh, Annee.

Then you have no interest in competing.

Women who dress sexy do.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Yeesh, Annee.

That's hilarious. Son is super set on buying his mother (me) new clothing for Christmas, so I was busy trying to coach my husband on the finer points of selecting new clothing for me because I really do need it.

And, yes, that point did come up.

You need to understand ... that pattern will make me look wider, and no woman wants to look wider. You need to be super thin to carry off a windening pattern ...

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Women!

amirite?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Female here and I honestly have to agree with her. I always find myself dismayed at how increasingly skimpy clothing is getting as a part of just the average day to day wear and in the workplace. The age of girls dressing this way also seems to be dropping and that bothers me as a mom.

I see nothing offensive about giving women advice in how to potentially protect themselves from unsavory attention and people. Many parents are getting their children backpacks with bulletproof inserts to give at least some protection in the event of school shootings, but when it's suggested that women learn to be more aware and protect themselves, it's viewed as a horrible bad thing and victim blaming.

Miss Nevada Gets Bashed by Feminists...

There was also a kerfluffle around a police chief or sheriff that suggested women take steps such as wearing a heavy backpack that could be swung as a weapon, or to just protect the back/kidneys from a blade, and he was roasted on social media for it. I can't find the link, but I remember reading the story.

Common sense suggestions are now viewed as offensive. I guess a feminist's disapproving look will stop a rapist dead in his tracks, right?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Yeesh, Annee.

Then you have no interest in competing.

Women who dress sexy do.

Ugg boots and a floor length cardigan can be very sexy on a decent body with a great mind and personality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join