It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic lawmaker: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

There is slight difference between being half naked, casual dressed or waring a burka. They have to be able to find a mid term. And they generally do, we´re just discussing the exceptions here.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I wish I could say that I don't believe you.

I have and have had many friends in my life and very few of them respected their bodies.
Right now in my life I don't have a single friend that works out.
I guess I can be glad that I have always kept myself fit and always will.
I love camping and hiking to much to let myself go like that.

But yeah, not many people like me.
I exercise 3 days a week most of the time, any one here on ats do that?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

If you really feel like you are being harassed by women then by all means complain.
I will have the same amount of sympathy for you as I do for them.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We are in the minority that will be called upon to rebuild when liberal self indulgence has brought about the civilisational collapse of the west. We stand ready for that time because our instincts are sharp and true.

a reply to: scraedtosleep

edit on 15-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Speaking as someone who got out of shape thanks to chronic illness, it's hard once you're out of it to get back on the horse. Frankly, it hurts a lot and you feel worse before you start to feel better. And some people need structure, but when going to a gym, there are few places where the terribly unfit can go and not feel like they're surrounded by the already fit who are judging.

Thankfully, I've never packed on super weight to combat, so I'm mostly working out the stiffness and lack of stamina and general lack of tone. But the only reason I'm slowly coming back in is because I'm working with my son in the mornings to help him with his martial arts, so I stretch and do squats and situps with him and work technique side by side with him.

He doesn't know enough to judge. He's just glad to spend time with his mom or dad.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: openminded2011

So, you are an advocate of "Well, she just asked for it by the way she dresses." Got it. It's the woman's fault, of course.

Did you ever consider that women dressing like tramps is a form of sexual harassment for men, do men have a choice whether or not to view something that they are hard wired to become aroused by?

No, I didn't consider that. It's stupid to think men are harassed by having to look at women in skimpy clothes. It's also the silliest attempt at a rationale and spin I have ever heard. Attire in and of itself is not harassment. A man not being able to control his daily, public arousal or desire is not the fault of women. smh

is it not to get men to look at them?

I am not an advocate of women "asking for it" Any unwanted advances are harassment, and I agree on this. I will simply question the judgment of women who consistently sexualize the way they dress and then complain about being viewed as sex objects.

Looking is not harassment. Seeing is not being harassed. The issue is harassment.

I live by the ocean and I see women wearing thong bathing suits all the time, where there are children present. I have always felt this is wrong.

You can 'feel' whatever you wish. Luckily, you can't legislate how you think women should dress. Unless you're a fan of burkas.

I am sorry if a point of view that differs from yours makes you angry, but I have the right to have mine as you have yours.

I'm not angry. You are entitled to your beliefs, but you have no right to tell women how they should dress simply because some men are too primitive to control their urges.

some men CANNOT help themselves.

That's not the women's fault. :/

You are putting words in my mouth. I am not an advocate of women "asking for it". I simply find it ironic that some women who dress in a sexually provocative way complain when they are viewed as sex objects. Sone of you dress in a way that seems to imply you want to be noticed sexually, but then complain when you are noticed sexually. I don't get it.
edit on 16-12-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I never bought into that ideology, on the surface it may seem valid but it isn't.
2 points:
1) I have been to the beach dozens of times and never seen bikini wearing women sexually harassed, ever.
Maybe if they are still there at 4 am and around a fire with intoxicated males, but not at 1 pm on a Sunday.

2)Men are going to look if you dress that way, it's like a rainbow to them.
edit on 16-12-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I like nice scenery she needs to sthu

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Do you want wemon dressing like strict Muslims and North Korea.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

What exactly is assault?

Sexual assault is any type of forced or coerced sexual contact or behavior that happens without consent. Sexual assault includes rape and attempted rape, child molestation, and sexual harassment or threats.

Sexual assault is any type of sexual activity, including rape, that you do not agree to. Also called sexual violence or abuse, sexual assault is never your fault.

Sexual assault can also be verbal or visual.

Womenshealth.gov

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

You are putting words in my mouth.

Quit blaming women.

I simply find it ironic that some women who dress in a sexually provocative way complain when they are viewed as sex objects.

That's the problem: viewing them as a "sex object." When you let it be known to them that you view them as a sex object is where the line is crossed.

Sone of you dress in a way that seems to imply you want to be noticed sexually, but then complain when you are noticed sexually.

That's the problem: your inference is incorrect. Some women want to look good, some want attention. Again, that is not an invitation for sexual harassment. Period.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

That's the problem: viewing them as a "sex object." When you let it be known to them that you view them as a sex object is where the line is crossed.

But, they are "sex objects."

In some parts of the world, the women dress scantily, and sit in "shop windows" inviting the men passing by, to stop and come in for a "quickie."

So, if and when other women dress in a similar manner, it's natural for the men to "think" of them in the same way.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Is that how you view women?

In some parts of the world, the women dress scantily, and sit in "shop windows" inviting the men passing by, to stop and come in for a "quickie."

So, if women (who aren't actual whores) dress scantily or reveal too much you consider them essentially whores and think it's ok for men to treat or talk to them as such because they invited it?

So, if and when other women dress in a similar manner, it's natural for the men to "think" of them in the same way.

Natural? Only to the base-minded.

Thinking of a women as a sex object is different than, as I previously said, letting them know you consider them as such. Just because a women is dressed scantily doesn't give a man the right to make vulgar comments or harass. Again, that is also not an invitation to harassment or assault.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Is that how you view women?

Well, I personally don't view "all women" the same way.

To my mind, some women are "sex objects", and other women are definitely "not."

But, I generalize to all men, when I say women are "sex objects", because I realize people have "different tastes", so a woman who is not sexy "to me", would be sexy to some other guy. Hence, the generalization.

So, if women (who aren't actual whores) dress scantily or reveal too much you consider them essentially whores and think it's ok for men to treat or talk to them as such because they invited it?

That sounds about right. If the woman "copies" the manner of those who set themselves up as "sex objects", then, yeah, for sure, I think of them as "sex objects". That's the whole point. The dress code is a language of communication. This is a reality. You "reveal" what you want, when you want "to suggest" to the viewer "a silent message." And you "hide" when you want to ensure your communication doesn't get confused or "mixed signals" when you're trying to communicate something else to the people around you.

edit on 17-12-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Clever word play you have there.

I personally don't view "all women" the same way. To my mind, some women are "sex objects", and other women are definitely "not."

So, some women are in "the whore/sex class," and others are in "the lady class?" Based simply on how they dress?

The dress code is a language of communication. This is a reality. You "reveal" what you want

Reveal doesn't equate to an invitation for harassment or assault. As I have stated, attire in and of itself is not a justification or a reason for harassment or assault.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Clever word play you have there.

Well, I'm sorry if I am not saying what you want me to say.

I have my own mind, and way of looking at things.

So, some women are in "the whore/sex class," and others are in "the lady class?" Based simply on how they dress?

It's about how they dress, any where they appear in that dress.

Reveal doesn't equate to an invitation for harassment or assault. As I have stated, attire in and of itself is not a justification or a reason for harassment or assault.

Well, that's your personal view. But, these terms harassment and assault are ambiguous. It's definitely an invitation for "attention", but what kind of attention may depend on the woman. For some, if you "stare" it's harassment. Other women want the "stare", but not to "touch" etc..there are no "fixed rules". About the only way we can determine if the attention is unwanted is by monitoring "complaints". This is the problem with the dress code. Recently, in France, the french are all in an uproar about this same harassment movement, because the French pride themselves in being able to "artfully seduce" a woman over her natural objections. Paris is the city of Love..etc..so it's cramping the Frenchman's style and throwing a bad light on the French male's art-form.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

Yes...

Absolutely nothing of any note whatsoever. When I walk down the street with my chest bare, I do not get objectified by members of either the opposite sex, or my own, I do not get random people giving my nipples a tweak, just because they are exposed to the air, nor do I get groped by people with impulse control problems, nor do I get hollered at by females or males, interested in attracting my attention for coupling purposes, because to a massive extent, the gender of which I am a part do not experience that sort of guttermindedness, either from the opposite sex, or from members of their own gender.

It is not assumed, when I walk down the street in summer, that I have dressed the way I have to impress myself upon potential mating partners, an accusation which is launched at virtually any female who exposes even her midriff, leave alone a bit of shoulder, or, God forbid, strips down to a bikini top to walk around in summer. It is assumed by certain backward sectors of society, that any female doing what would come naturally to a man in the summers heat, is expressing her lack of standards, intimating to society that she is available for any old thing to happen to, simply because she wishes to dress for the weather.

This imbalance is simply unacceptable, and must be addressed, removed, banished from the intellectual landscape entirely, because it is simply unjustifiable.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That’s because a guy walking down the street without a shirt is not equivalent to a woman dressed “ slutty”...

That said if you were built like an action hero, you would likely get catcalls from the various women you passed , especially if they are in an all girl group hanging out..

The equivalent would be if you were dressed up to the hilt. If your walking down the street in a James Bond tux , will you get “objectified??? “

We are objects after all lol..

The answer is probably..

Women pretend like what they do not like is the fact everyone wants to have sex with them, when the real problem is the physical disparity that makes them suseptible to being attacked..

Everyone likes options..

Women don’t like the fact they would be helpless if attacked.. not the fact the person would sleep with them if they were willing.

The objectification isn’t the problem, we all objectify each other.

The problem is the threat of violence or retaliation for refusal..

Women are so scared of the threat , they equate being objectified with the threat. When 95% of people willing to whistle at a hot chic would never attack them.

edit on 18-12-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join