It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic lawmaker: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You spund like a fun person.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Does one have to look "sexy" in order to look good though? And does one have to look "sexy" in order to feel good about oneself?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is a truth people, particularly woman of course don’t like to hear.
Don’t blame the victim they say

Not at all

Its like telling a child to look both ways when crossing the street

So a kid looks one way and gets hit.

Father says, see kid I told you to look both ways. Do that next time and you likely won’t get hit?

The son says

You’re blaming me the victim

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Does one have to look "sexy" in order to look good though? And does one have to look "sexy" in order to feel good about oneself?

No, and no.

The problem is not how women dress, it's how men respond, and have done so (and have gotten away with) for so long.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Western woman who some are rebelling justifiably against the western male abusive complex

One day have to deal with the fact that culturally western woman have been over sexualized by the society’s standards.

That’s an objective fact.

Saying out loud and proudly

WE WANT TO DRESS THE WAY WE WANT

Doesn’t obviate the objective reality that western woman have been objectified and overly sexualized.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Not at all, to both questions.
Whether male or female.

Have and want are different things though.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Are you slut-shaming?

As it happens I tend to agree. It's one thing to not want to dress Victorian, but wanting to walk around in burnout tees with no under layer, for example, is a bit too far the other way.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Define harrassment.....

If you are talking rape.. then that’s crazy, because there is NOTHING you can wear/not wear that invites rape..

But If we are counting cat calls as harrassment.. then sure ..

You can absolutely wear something that invites attention.. or people to stare or point fingers...

We cannot lump BS that has no emotional or physical trauma , in with things like rape /molestation that cause life long damage..

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Car accidents are often unavoidable...

Harassment is not...

Apples and oranges.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

but wanting to walk around in burnout tees with no under layer, for example, is a bit too far the other way.

But if women want to dress as such, so what. It's their right, and it shouldn't be an invitation to repeated unwanted advances because they want to dress such.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Some of us try to bring it up here and there, but we are mostly more on the right side of the spectrum so we just get dissed as being puritanical religious fuddy duddies. Doesn't change the truth though. If you dress to excite a person, you will tend to excite that kind of interest and in some people, you just don't want to go there because they're going to abuse it and not respect you.

Exactly. It's as sensible as not flashing your cash while walking down a dark street in a bad neighborhood. No one is to blame for the actions of a criminal, of course, but people can, and should, take sensible precautions to lessen the risk, and to avoid attracting the attention of the bad guys.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Actually what it boils down to somewhat is economics. The female fashion and beauty industry is humongous.

The elite will have people shot down in the street before that empire is touched with any recriminations and woman say

You know we have been over sexualized here…

That aint going to happen because women are just too programmed from infancy to a level of vanity that is pretty rock solid

Btw men are actually ironically probably more vain that woman in macho manism

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yeah and this just shows how dumb our elected officials are getting. Worse year after year and it doesn't matter if they're democrats or republicans. They bring snowballs on the Senate floor to show that it's cold outside, they're sexual perverts or worse yet, criminals. And we keep electing them into office over and over again.

Remember that Al Gores wife used to have a group showing the evils of heavy metal music. Anyone else remember that?

This is what happens when we elect Democrats and Republicans. We need more independents and third party candidates that aren't tainted with corporate money, greed, stupidity, and outdated ideology. They don't represent us anymore.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Fine, but that’s like saying when its freezing cold

I should be able to walk around in a bikini any time I want

Even though you’ll freeze to death

The objective fact is men are lustful beasts

Not all men of course

edit on 13-12-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Women don't dress for men.

Women dress to compete with other women.

Yeesh, Annee.

I dress to make myself look less fat super skinny, like I am.

Then you have no interest in competing.

Women who dress sexy do.

Speak for yourself. When I have dressed "sexy" in the past, it s to attract male attention, not to compete with other women.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Annee

You spund like a fun person.

I try.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Women don't dress for men.

Women dress to compete with other women.

Yeesh, Annee.

I dress to make myself look less fat super skinny, like I am.

Then you have no interest in competing.

Women who dress sexy do.

Ugg boots and a floor length cardigan can be very sexy on a decent body with a great mind and personality.

Really?

Not sure I see that.

Well, then maybe you don't understand how the beauty of a woman who has a fabulous mind and personality can actually be enhanced by not wearing something revealing/tight/low-cut, etc...

That sort of confidence in who you are is far sexier than any trashy overly revealing outfit.
Many of us have evolved past that.

My girlfriend of 8 years makes me feel really special by saving the trashy stuff for our romantic alone times.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Fine, but that’s like saying when its freezing cold
I should be able to walk around in a bikini any time I want

If you want, that's your business.

The objective fact is men are lustful beasts

That is not the fault of women, or the way they dress.
edit on 13-12-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Where not talking about the rapists, they’ll rape a person in a potato sack

This may relate to the gropers, the whistlers, and oglers at woman.

Women have a perfect right to look beautiful.

They are God’s pearls

But unfortunately too many men are like Moore and Franken

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I know my friends and I would comment when a women wearing skimpy and low cut clothing walked into a bar or night club (during the late 70's and early 80's), as being "easy." They were not the type we would consider having a serious relationship with. I and my group of friends honestly had more respect for women who dressed with class and didn't have to flaunt their assets.

Times sure have changed. I sometimes wonder what keeps the Kardashian women's breasts from falling out of their extreme low cut tops. Why bother wearing a top? To me, plunging necklines, extremely short mini-skirts, and shorts where half their butts are hanging out are rather sleazy. Sure, I and many men will look, but do women really only want men to be attracted to their assets and not their beauty and personality? It's rather shallow when you think about it.

Back in the day, women seldom physically fought other women. When they did, most men considered women like that as having no-class. Today there are more teen-age girls who physically fight in high schools than boys! What's worst, is they won't stop attacking each other-they're literally out for blood!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join