It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes tax reform bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Even the guys who wrote it were amazed how gullible the public was for thinking it would work.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'm about to complete my 5th degree and I make $60/hour.

You're a real piece of work....a piece of work with your hand out. There. I said it. You have no clue what sacrifices people make to keep from being a burden, yet here you are with five degrees (not free) making $60 bucks an hour and still wanting other taxpayers to subsidize you. Disgusting to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's also becoming obvious that most people today can't wrap their heads around the fact that a job is one method of earning income. There are plenty of others: investing, self-employment, starting a business, invention, innovation...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I'm about to complete my 5th degree and I make $60/hour.

You're a real piece of work....a piece of work with your hand out. There. I said it. You have no clue what sacrifices people make to keep from being a burden, yet here you are with five degrees (not free) making $60 bucks an hour and still wanting other taxpayers to subsidize you. Disgusting to me.

Agreed. The level of entitlement is astonishing.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I play up being a PoS in my posts, so it's understandable you have that opinion. I've spent over a decade in school now, all to get enough of an education that I can actually contribute through disability. My first job ever, which started as an internship last summer started at $45/hour. They kept me when school started, bumped my rate and let me work part time. They'll bump my rate again when I graduate and go permanent/full time.

Since getting an income, the financial assistance has ceased... I don't mind that one bit. That's how it should work, and it phases out over time. Next year I'll actually be buying my own insurance. Those options are either an exchange plan which is $550/month, or a work plan. Either way it leaves me as a slave to my employer. I have other responsibilities too though, I have a sick mother that I'll have to take care of, when this plan removes her disability insurance.

This is all what Republicans say I should be doing... which I'm not entirely convinced of because it's simply resulted in a whole bunch of suffering. Instead of sitting around and collecting a disability check for my whole life, I went out and tried making something out of myself. I've almost accomplished that. When you're on disability it's not easy, very few ever get off of it.

If it weren't for hand outs I never would have been able to do any of it. Plenty make 60 or more an hour though, that's literally an entry level wage.
edit on 2-12-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's also becoming obvious that most people today can't wrap their heads around the fact that a job is one method of earning income. There are plenty of others: investing, self-employment, starting a business, invention, innovation...

TheRedneck

Those are all jobs.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

You forgot, and threatening to leave if he doesn't get his way.

Not that I really believe that... after all, last I heard Cher was still waiting on that shuttle to Jupiter. I'm starting to doubt her too.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It's not a threat. I might not leave right away, but I refuse to contribute to a country that doesn't help it's citizens. What we did to Puerto Rico, what this tax bill is doing... it's becoming quite clear that the US is not a country acting in good faith.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Whatever. You're a perpetual student then....(must be nice). How many people would love to get a government check while going to school forever!

Yeah. How many people would just love to work on multi degrees while getting government assistance so when they finally have that 5th one, they can make lots and lots of money.

So glad to hear that NEXT YEAR you may be able to buy YOUR OWN insurance. That's real nice.

Either way it leaves me as a slave to my employer.

With an attitude like that, I would guess you won't be employed long and will be right back on government assistance complaining about the rest of us not paying enough taxes so you can work on that 6th degree, get free healthcare, and whine all day on ATS.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Mandroid7 All MSM are liars that are only there to push a agenda of a small group. It is pure entertainment. I watch all the MSM then I use my best judgement to decide what stories actually merit me doing some digging on. Deny Ignorance friend

It's more than just entertainment when it shapes idiots behaviors.

Why are you telling me to deny ingnorance?

Take it up with the op, like I did.

Deny arrogance friend.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's not a threat. I might not leave right away, but I refuse to contribute to a country that doesn't help it's citizens. What we did to Puerto Rico, what this tax bill is doing... it's becoming quite clear that the US is not a country acting in good faith.

If you really believe you've "suffered" so much, what are you still doing here? People literally float across 100s of miles of ocean on rafts trying to get here to escape actual suffering. You are incredibly spoiled and ungrateful for how fortunate you are to live here, and deep down you know it that's why you're still here. If you do leave it won't be because you can't make it here.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Anyone want to post the actual bill, I am not interested in emotions or msm's anxiety driven bs.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Whatever. You're a perpetual student then....(must be nice). How many people would love to get a government check while going to school forever!

I wish. I'm not smart enough to be a perpetual student.

Yeah. How many people would just love to work on multi degrees while getting government assistance so when they finally have that 5th one, they can make lots and lots of money.

Why don't they then? It's not hard. Do what I did. Pick inexpensive schools, live in bad neighborhoods, and go homeless when necessary. It's not about money, I'm not even making lots and lots of money, I'm getting an entry level wage. I get to do what I want to do for work though and that's worth a lot to me.

So glad to hear that NEXT YEAR you may be able to buy YOUR OWN insurance. That's real nice.

Just think, in two years I'll have repaid through taxes every single dollar I ever got in assistance.

With an attitude like that, I would guess you won't be employed long and will be right back on government assistance complaining about the rest of us not paying enough taxes so you can work on that 6th degree, get free healthcare, and whine all day on ATS.

What makes you say that?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

My first job ever, which started as an internship last summer started at $45/hour.

My first job ever was way back when I was 15. I hauled hay to make money. My starting pay was $3.00 an hour (below minimum wage, paid under the table).

My first regular job was as a trained draftsman/designer. I started at $8 an hour.

Next year I'll actually be buying my own insurance. Those options are either an exchange plan which is $550/month, or a work plan. Either way it leaves me as a slave to my employer.

Welcome to reality.

I have other responsibilities too though, I have a sick mother that I'll have to take care of, when this plan removes her disability insurance.

I've been taking care of a sick mother for several years, with my wife's assistance. It leaves little time for work, but I do what I can from here. She has advanced scleroderma with esophageal atrophy and Raynaud's syndrome (has lost one finger), is on a feeding tube and constant O2, and has been on hospice for the past year. She requires feedings three times a day, medicine twice a day, and assistance getting up, going to bed, and going to the bathroom. She has her mind, but I have to handle her banking, her insurance, get her medicine and groceries for her husband (who has advanced dementia), and anything else that comes up. Right now, she is lying in a hospital bed in SCU, and I am making daily trips to town, burning fuel I don't have, to see her and try to keep her spirits up.

I'll be leaving for that in just a few minutes.

You are far from alone. You are actually blessed. If you tried to live like we do, I doubt you would last a month. We do not get insurance. We have to buy cheap food. If something breaks, we do not get new; we fix or do without. We wear clothes as long as we can, to cut down on washing powders. We have only kerosene for heat, and use it only sparingly. I do have wood heat in my shop. Yet we do it, because it's the right thing to do. And you have never once heard me complain on these forums. I do not expect anyone to help me out, although I appreciate help when offered. It was a government program that put me through most of my school, and scrimping and scratching that finished it off. Now my grad studies are on hold... because of money. 4 courses from my MSEE.

That, sir, is reality. And it might suck to you, but to us it is what has to be done. We do it. Period.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
If you really believe you've "suffered" so much, what are you still doing here? People literally float across 100s of miles of ocean on rafts trying to get here to escape actual suffering. You are incredibly spoiled and ungrateful for how fortunate you are to live here, and deep down you know it that's why you're still here. If you do leave it won't be because you can't make it here.

I don't yet have the resources to move. Most countries worth immigrating to require speaking the language, having a specific amount in savings, and a job lined up.

1. I only know English, so I have to teach myself another language first.
2. I only have 6 months of living expenses in savings, any decent country requires a minimum of two years worth (which they see as 1 year for yourself+spouse, even though I'm single). In addition to any other savings accounts.
3. I don't have the professional resume to get a job elsewhere yet. Give it another couple years of work history and that will probably change.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

The actual bill

That's the House version. To find the amendments from the Senate, go to www.senate.gov... and look under legislation for H.R.1. There will be a tab for amendments, filter by accepted.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

That sounds to me like the exact opposite of a country that claims to be the land of opportunity.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Vector99 Have you read any of the proposal? The big corporate company's currently pay a 35% corporate tax. That number will drop to 20%. I am still reading this behemoth of a thing. And there is very little information about this out there. I doubt this plan is good for average Joe but we will see I guess.

This plan already admits it will create deficit. The only way to negate that deficit is government spending reduction. The reductions likely won't come from benefit programs, but rather trimming the fat from the steak of governmental employment, how is that bad?

Wrong, increased jobs and wage increases tax income. It has every time personal income has been cut. From JFK to Reagan. The problem was and always has been the bastards increase the spending.

Wait, so you mean to tell me this plan has the potential to lower Joe and Jane's Everyday's Taxes, Decrease Federal Spending, Promote Job Growth, AND Incentivize more money into actual savings accounts?

WTF? Are we in nazi germany?

That's what they're trying to push....

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
I just read the main points in the fake news network and even as negative as they wanted to portray it, it will benefit me more, thank you Mr. President!!!

I suggest everyone take a very close look and see exactly how YOU will end up fiscally instead of listening to the FAKE NEWS given out by the libtard media...

New rule: if you say it will benefit you, you must say how much you make.

As if you could even tell, given the document looks like this:

Amendments were handwritten in the margins hours before the nearly 500 page document was voted on. Large swaths were X'd out. Nobody read this. Nobody knows what's in it.

This was not normal Senate behavior. It was passed at 2am on a Saturday morning, after being edited mere hours before it was voted on. They didn't even have time to type up the changes. They passed this as budget reconciliation to avoid a filibuster - and it had nothing at all to do with the budget, which they still haven't voted on.
edit on 12Sat, 02 Dec 2017 12:13:54 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good! Now we can bring the deficit in line by cutting military spending, right?

amiriteguyz?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join