It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I like my music and have enjoyed browsing these threads but I'm starting to avoid them now because of all the videos. It takes ages to download the damn page.

Anyone else find that, or is it just me with my antiquated, cluttered up laptop?

Just start posting links to youtube.

It's as long as it's broad.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Are you using the AOL dial up samples that used to come in the mail? It shouldn't take that long to load even with a basic connection.

edit on 29-11-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yeah i don't bother clicking them unless im one of the first ones in the thread cuz it''l be overloaded with videos...

OPs with 5 or 6 videos are also annoying...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah, I just did one with a bunch of videos.

That actually took some time and effort.

Unlike this rant post.

It's the best/only way to share music you can play right on the page w/o leaving ATS, as far as I know.

My phone on 2 bars of reception through the cell towers loads with no lag.

Maybe you should upgrade your service and not try and
talk out of the side of your face in another tread about it.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Bahahaha AOL!!!!

"You got mail" hahaha

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I don't know what browser you use but there ought to be an option to not load videos/pictures.

I enjoy the music threads and videos are great. I think it's nice to be able to have one playing on the page while I read posts.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"Antiquaited, cluttered up laptop..."Processing speed can't handle.. Tech evolves every 3-4 yrs.

Gotta upgrade sometime to keep up... Actually music videos will replace links because it keeps you on site and removes steps.
1.out to view. 2.back to ATS.
edit on 29-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

I think it's nice to be able to have one playing on the page while I read posts.

You see, I don't.

Music threads may be about music but they're no different from other threads in that you are supposed to engage in discussion.

It's no hardship to follow a link, if you're that keen.

If you just want to listen to some music then just run your playlist and don't bother coming online.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Youtube has implemented some new changes from what I can tell, that causes the videos to take longer to load - there is so much behind the scene rubbish going on.

So much so that I've turned on the Advanced settings in uBlock Origin and am turning off all third party elements and scripts for it, helps a little.

Youtube, facebook, and a few other places have become so bogged down with crap it renders my PC unusable at times. I have to task-kill firefox. And no other browser is free of it either. Maybe a light gain for the loss of addons I refuse to go without.

I avoid the music threads here, especially if they ask for contributions, as my PC crawls to a halt. Sure it's not the best machine, but only in the past few months has it really gotten bad.

What we've made up for by getting away from atrocious free websites where everyone had 5 music videos playing on top of 1000 animated gifs and frames, we've made worse with so many damned third party scripts. Every page has google crap tied to it that makes no difference to the page rendering in the end.

And to be honest, if I break a page because I limit the bandwidth to it when the content appears there, but the page continues to load for another 60 seconds, then it is no loss to me, I'll happily avoid badly coded web pages...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

"Antiquaited, cluttered up laptop..."Processing speed can't handle.. Tech evolves every 3-4 yrs.

Gotta upgrade sometime to keep up... Actually music videos will replace links because it keeps you on site and removes steps.
1.out to view. 2.back to ATS.

Processing speeds?

More like the dozen or so external GET's to non-relevant crap that only helps to keep track of your presence and lets you click the twitter button to spread the pain.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
Youtube has implemented some new changes from what I can tell, that causes the videos to take longer to load - there is so much behind the scene rubbish going on.

So much so that I've turned on the Advanced settings in uBlock Origin and am turning off all third party elements and scripts for it, helps a little.

Youtube, facebook, and a few other places have become so bogged down with crap it renders my PC unusable at times. I have to task-kill firefox. And no other browser is free of it either. Maybe a light gain for the loss of addons I refuse to go without.

I avoid the music threads here, especially if they ask for contributions, as my PC crawls to a halt. Sure it's not the best machine, but only in the past few months has it really gotten bad.

What we've made up for by getting away from atrocious free websites where everyone had 5 music videos playing on top of 1000 animated gifs and frames, we've made worse with so many damned third party scripts. Every page has google crap tied to it that makes no difference to the page rendering in the end.

And to be honest, if I break a page because I limit the bandwidth to it when the content appears there, but the page continues to load for another 60 seconds, then it is no loss to me, I'll happily avoid badly coded web pages...

'Certainly agree with you...You know all those "updates'" we all get from time to time to our browsers, securities and programs? As they evolve more and more technically...it stresses the point that older systems with limited RAM or O.S. sytems get to the point they cant process as fast.

ATS had a thread here this week about a newer 4k TV not working right with an older Play Station, asking why not?..It prob wasnt the new TV as much as it was an older gaming system trying to navigate thru all the newer tech.

Currently...I am delegating my 4 year old laptop (with most of all the functionality and speed ability to process what newer tech it comes across)...to my home recording studio only. It doesnt need to be, has 1/2 the original RAM left and 500g's left....but with tech? Im going with light and faster for no other reason than keeping up with developing tech... before it can't.

Have a great day.....Best
edit on 30-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join