It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groom Lake F-16 spotted over Death Valley

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Specifically over "Star Wars Canyon". Much like the F-16 I spotted when camped at the Tikaboo Peak staging area (not the peak), this F-16 is believed to be based at Groom Lake because it hasn't been seen anywhere else. In addition, some claim they can spot Groom Lake patches on the crew.

www.thedrive.com...

The article also references the F-16 I spotted giving chase over Sand Spring Dry Lake. You make recall my photo of being poor quality, so it is mostly subjective that the same plane is being used.

Edit:
This article goes into the patches.
theaviationist.com... -two-seater-f-16/

edit on 24-11-2017 by gariac because: Added link under "Edit"

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
when running the serial through a search this is all i get

Serial Number Criteria: 86-052
Description Criteria:
Data last updated: Tue Mar 15 09:25:04 2016
86-0049 ... 86-0053 (EXACT MATCH)
General Dynamics F-16D Block 30E Fighting Falcon
MSN 5D-52/56

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Unfortunately tail numbers don't equal serial numbers. And often just inserting a second zero doesn't complete the picture.

www.joebaugher.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
a reply to: TheScale

Unfortunately tail numbers don't equal serial numbers. And often just inserting a second zero doesn't complete the picture.

www.joebaugher.com...

yeah i ran it multiple ways with whats there but thats the most i can get. kinda surprised it gave me anything at all to be honest

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Awesome photo and an interesting read.

However, I can't help but feel like the guys doing all this photography and digging are really just doing foreign governments' work for them.. I know their intentions are borne out of a passion for the subject but it does seem a bit like they're helping 'the enemy' by doing this stuff...

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Nothing photographed isn't going to be seen any time they fly near any potential opponent, and a lot of it is published by the military on publicly accessible military websites.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ahh.. fair enough then.. it's not a subject I'm especially familiar with (although it is very interesting). I guess I've read a few of these type of threads and I always thought the same thing so, thanks for the clarification

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

A lot of these upgrades, like IRST, unless you built them in from the start, or make a pretty significant change to the airframe (new sensor mount that's going to affect aerodynamics somewhat, new wiring, new computer interface, etc), are going to be pod mounted, and carried externally.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Interesting.

I guess I just thought that, whilst anyone can go and "have a look" (as illustrated by the photo) if a foreign government wanted to look then they would have to send someone to look for themselves, that allows the opportunity to, in turn, surveile the surveilers as it were. However, I was making assumptions based on incomplete information. If much of the information is made available to the public by the military then it's obviously not something they're especially concerned about..

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It's actually kind of surprising what they'll post. Some of it is a way of sending a message, some of it is just "hey, check out our new toy" kinds of things. When the F-22s and F-35s deployed to the UK earlier this year, they posted that they were on the way, and then were posting when they were heading to other countries and some of what they were doing while there.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Wow, that's pretty open eh?

I suppose with the kind of technology around now, attempting to conceal something as blindingly obvious as moving a whole heap of jets from one country to another would be an exercise in futility..

ETA: Yeah and I imagine they throw in a little disinfo, a little bragging and intimidation and sending a message as you say... makes sense...
edit on 25-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In the case of the F-117 F-16 combo, they flew it by the most populated town in the area (Rachel). This is a town where there are always tourists with cameras. Basically this was a photo op. When I first photographed the Groom Su27, the base knew I was there with a camera. It was between sessions of Red Flag.

In the spy business, such people are known as useful idiots. ;-)

When the base wants to keep a secret, they have no problem doing so.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Awesome to be able to be present and see that stuff up close.

I used to go on holiday to the Scottish highlands when I was younger. We often saw Tornados flying along the valley, sometimes at a level with us and, on occasion, below us.

I distinctly remember one of the pilots giving us a thumbs up as they blasted by... an amazing memory and one that still brings a smile to my face twenty plus years later...

top topics

join