It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland Baker Launches Bread Made from Crushed Crickets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Mmmmm ... Crickets.
Finnish bakery Fazer has launched a new type of bread for its customers to enjoy , made from part wheat flour and part dried cricket flour it's said to be the worlds first (who would have thought) insect-based bread , now all we need is for someone to create a nice beetle spread to put on it.

The bread, made from flour ground from dried crickets as well as wheat flour and seeds, contains more protein than normal wheat bread. Each loaf contains about 70 crickets and costs 3.99 euros ($4.72), compared with 2 to 3 euros for a regular wheat loaf.

Sadly due to a shortage of crickets the bread will only be available in a few of its Finnish stores.

In November, Finland joined five other European countries - Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Denmark - in allowing insects to be raised and marketed for food use.
www.reuters.com...

Coming to an ASDA near you ... soon.

If God had meant us to eat insects he's of given us a flippy outy tongue.

edit on 23-11-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In Vietnam, I saw many people eat things we would be repulsed by. One was Zippo cooked Crickets

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Say it isn't so.

edit on 23-11-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Insects and arthropods and larvae are common parts of the diet in many places.

Sure we don't tend to eat them here, but that doesn't mean we can't or that no one does.

I am actually not opposed to trying to them, but I don't want them to become the forced protein staple like some forces in the world are advocating. I simply want them to be an option for when I might want something different, a bit of variety.

A more varied diet is only healthier for everyone.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
John the Baptist would have eaten that. Is he also selling wild honey?

edit on 23-11-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm willing to try, haven't had the opportunity, chocolate covered bugs, so I most likely would try this.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So long as they are crushed and I can't see the ugly s.o.b.'s, or have them hop out of my mouth, I'd eat it.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Lobsters are just big bugs and they're really popular. I'd eat bugs. Not off the ground but... you know.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Why? Is there a shortage of flour? Just plant more wheat.

What's the point of trying to get people to eat bugs? Yeah, I know you can if you have to for survival but really.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

They're a good protein source actually.

It would be a possible bread fix for folks who have gluten sensitivity or just a different type of bread for people on a ketogenic diet.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I think it's part of a drive to get us to eat something other than animals , with an expanding population we need to eat bugs to free up the meat for the elite.
Maybe.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I think it's part of a drive to get us to eat something other than animals , with an expanding population we need to eat bugs to free up the meat for the elite.
Maybe.

I thought vat-grown meat (cultured meat, lab-grown meat, in vitro meat and several other names) was the go to solution for the evils of cow farts and the shortage of meat as opposed to making everyone eat plants.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

Why? Is there a shortage of flour? Just plant more wheat.

Sadly due to a shortage of CRICKETS the bread will only be available in a few of its Finnish stores.

And if there is any shortage of things like wheat, it´s because we put food(biofuel) in our "clean, green cars" and don´t use fields to grow food to eat anymore(too less profit for the owners)!

I don´t care if the animal was a cow, a chicken, a pig, a fish or an insect.
Main thing is that it tastes good!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Mmmm!

Jimminy Crackers!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
ive gotten salt and pepper crickets from BA Sweetie many times. i like to try and get people to eat them. ive eaten a bunch. they taste just like sunflower seeds.

i would like the option.
why not?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If God had meant us to eat insects he's of given us a flippy outy tongue.

Well he did give Pharaoh the plague - didn't turn out so well for Egypt.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

It's the future. It's also proof that the future won't be all rocket cars and orbiting Pleasure Palaces. Bug menus are coming!

www.livinfarms.com...

Crickets are tasteless and feel like Ryvita in the mouth. Throw a bit of seasoning in and maybe a dash of pesto or hot sauce and they'll be fine. Nobody will notice if they're ground up into white bread.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I look forward to my McMealworm and Locust fries ...

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Kandinsky

I look forward to my McMealworm and Locust fries ...

Would you like that Supersized?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You gotta try those Mexican little roasted crickets, they call them "chicharos". So addictive.

Used to eat them during my lunch break, just to see my coworkers faces.

<<   2 >>

join