It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Preparing to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Stay Cozy Everyone!

BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. — The U.S. Air Force is preparing to put nuclear-armed bombers back on 24-hour ready alert, a status not seen since the Cold War ended in 1991. That means the long-dormant concrete pads at the ends of this base’s 11,000-foot runway — dubbed the “Christmas tree” for their angular markings — could once again find several B-52s parked on them, laden with nuclear weapons and set to take off at a moment’s notice. “This is yet one more step in ensuring that we’re prepared,” Gen. David Goldfein, Air Force chief of staff, said in an interview during his six-day tour of Barksdale and other U.S. Air Force bases that support the nuclear mission. “I look at it more as not planning for any specific event, but more for the reality of the global situation we find ourselves in and how we ensure we’re prepared going forward.

There are conflicting reports however.
CNN, WaPo, NY Post, Fox and others are reporting this is a go.

CNBC is reporting that the USAF is actually denying this.

and why wouldnt they?
just a bunch of over fifty year old ancient bombers laden with enough atomic weapons to lay waste to civilization.

24 HOURS A DAY

nothing to get worried about.

So, I dunno.
International Nuclear Boogaloo you guys!

remember your civil defense training everyone!

DUCK AND COVER

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Only when the entire world is made inhabitable will our enemies finally respect the United States?

I think even if our country uses nukes and somehow billions of people don't end up dying the Arabs and the North Koreans will still hate the US.

Getting exciting about using nuclear weapons is a little bit sick in my opinion.

edit on 24-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

eh, i guess subtly terrified is a type of excited?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I'm more inclined to go with the denial article. There's only NK who currently pose any nuclear threat to the USA and they'd *presumably* be nuked from off-shore.

ETA - Nice OP. It's great seeing two sides

edit on 10.24.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I'm more inclined to go with the denial article. There's only NK who currently pose any nuclear threat to the USA and they'd *presumably* be nuked from off-shore.

ETA - Nice OP. It's great seeing two sides

I would think we could take out North Korea’s leadership with conventional weapons. I can’t Imagine we would need nukes with their lack of tech.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I didn't mean a pre-emptive nuking. I meant *if* there's any nuclear response, it'd likely be delivered from the sea. God forbid...

There isn't a serious enough threat to the US to need a '24 hour alert' of B-52s. Besides which aren't we all on 24 hour alert anyway? The arsenals are ready to launch in seconds. If there's any truth to the B-52s report, it'll be a propaganda message.
edit on 10.24.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Does it really matter? ICBMs are ready all the time...

I dont think the US would use nuclear weapons unless they were hit first with nukes or a massive chemical attack.
edit on 24/10/17 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
When hasnt the Air Force been on 24 hour alert ? News Flash - they always have been.
Barksdale would have to be rebuilt.
Barksdale never did load ANY weapons on ANY aircraft. Those were staged elsewhere. It was more of a repair base for heavy repairs. And a spot for AIT for some roles in the USAF SAC command.
Well , you did sleep in the same barracks as a supposed "live bird" . No warhead though.

Glorified headlines again.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Please use existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed

top topics

join