It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It takes a big pair to make the claim of atheism.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It takes a big pair to make the claim of atheism

No, it doesn't. All it takes is cynicism.

I was a staunch atheist for years due to constant, negative personal experiences. Then I had an esoteric epiphany.

I'm now a Deist. I acknowledge that something ethereal is responsible for my reality.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1

I was a staunch atheist for years due to constant, negative personal experiences. Then I had an esoteric epiphany.

I'm now a Deist. I acknowledge that something ethereal is responsible for my reality.

Acknowledge = believe something you cannot verify

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Atheism claims the inexistence of God while there's no substantial evidence

Brilliant first line, that's as far as I got I'm afraid, it's not for Atheists to prove that God isn't real, it's for the religious to prove that he is, seriously

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

That's why they call it faith though, believing in something which cannot be verified.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TJames
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

That's why they call it faith though, believing in something which cannot be verified.

There's a very fine line between faith and stupidity, that's where science steps in

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

a reply to: windword

I'm assuming Abrahamic god not Norse or Hindu.
This is ATS remember, it's cool to lack belief in Hindu gods but dare to question Abrahamic claims then you burn in hell lol

Yeah, most likely. See, I believe in the "God of the Gaps". If it's a mystery, like life and death, it's God. When mystery mechanisms are discovered, like photons and light, it's science!

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Acknowledge = believe something you cannot verify

That's my point. I observed the proof.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Lurker1

I get ya, if I ever saw a ghost I'd probably believe, but I haven't so I don't. I'd want a mate to witness it as well ideally or I'd question my mental health.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I get ya, if I ever saw a ghost I'd probably believe, but I haven't so I don't. I'd want a mate to witness it as well ideally or I'd question my mental health.

And therein lies the problem.

Society assumes you are crazy when you tell them how it's been proven.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Personal perception and subjective observation is not proof though. Could easily be delusional mental health issues.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
In my opinion it takes absolutely no faith to be an atheist...

None.

Atheism should be the default position.

I don't believe in any God or Gods, because I have never seen any convincing evidence that they exist, and I have seen more evidence to suggest that they do not. It takes real faith to believe in bull#. It takes none to recognize there are no Gods. And if there are or is, the very instant it is recognized and understood, it will cease to be a God because then humans will look for what may or may not be behind that curtain.

I know 100% Christianity (for example) is wrong. A book supposedly divinely inspired by a God yet so full of human mistakes. The history of the religion itself.. etc.. all point to humans. No.. it takes faith to ignore facts. None to accept them.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Agreed. It takes zero faith for me to be unconvinced by claims of gods. And which gods as well, none of the claims from Abrahamic to Zoroastrian and everything in between have any verifiable evidence to support them.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Agreed. It takes zero faith for me to be unconvinced by claims of gods. And which gods as well, none of the claims from Abrahamic to Zoroastrian and everything in between have any verifiable evidence to support them.

Must be why atheists turn believers. eh

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Irrelevant statement.

There are also plenty of believers turned atheist.

Me, for example.

The paths people take are different. Perhaps someone was an atheist not through being convinced that religion is bull#, but because they just didn't feel drawn to any particular faith earlier in life. Or like myself, who was religious as long as I can remember, but got older, started asking questions in an honest effort to prove my faith but couldn't.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Yes, but that's not the point there. No irrelevant statement.
edit on 2-10-2017 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Fair enough! What was the point?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Personal perception and subjective observation is not proof though. Could easily be delusional mental health issues.

I'm not looking to prove anything to other people. All I'm saying is I've seen enough for me to accept something more advanced than me is likely responsible for my reality.

I'd say on the order of Clarke - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Or like myself, who was religious as long as I can remember, but got older, started asking questions in an honest effort to prove my faith but couldn't.

Same here, I was born without any knowledge of 'faith' then taught by my parents to believe in the Christian god, grew up, started questioning things, then realised there was zero evidence to support claims of gods. It's why it's called faith, there's nothing to support the belief aside from imagined assertions.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

All I'm saying is I've seen enough for me to accept something more advanced than me is likely responsible for my reality.

What have you seen to convince you that there is something more advanced responsible for your reality?

ETA
I've seen nothing, I don't believe in ghosts, goblins, dragons, gods, creators, souls, or anything which is unverifiable.
edit on 2-10-2017 by TJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

All I'm saying is I've seen enough for me to accept something more advanced than me is likely responsible for my reality.

What have you seen to convince you that there is something more advanced responsible for your reality?

ETA
I've seen nothing, I don't believe in ghosts, goblins, dragons, gods, creators, souls, or anything which is unverifiable.

With respect, I prefer not to say. This was a very personal experience for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join