It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Raiders (NFL) Threw Game For Political Reasons !!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Sacked in football is actually a reference to sacking (plundering/breaching) a city (or city wall). In this case the Offensive line is the wall protecting the loot (the QB).

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
Sacked in football is actually a reference to sacking (plundering/breaching) a city (or city wall). In this case the Offensive line is the wall protecting the loot (the QB).

Actually, Deacon Jones, who coined the phrase, said it was like putting the lineman and quarterback in a burlap sack and beating them with a bat.

edit on 3-10-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Raider fan here,
I watch football all the time and have been a Raider fan for over 30 years.

First off, to the Cowboy fan who is calling Raider players thugs - Really, take a look at your roster over the past 10 years and tell me what team has had more thug type players on their roster. I'll save you some time and tell you it's the Cowboys by a long shot.

The Redskins have a very good defense. The secondary on that team takes away the pass which in turn makes the QB go through his other reads which takes extra time which leads to sacks.

The Raiders have always had trouble winning on the east coast. Not sure if it is a timezone thing or a travel thing but it is something that causes them problems.

The Raider running game with Marshawn Lynch is not working. This allows the defense to focus more on playing the pass as they do not fear getting beat on the ground.

Derek Carr is very well liked and respected by his teammates. I do not believe for a second that they would hang him out to dry. Donald Penn, the left tackle for the Raiders allowed only one sack last year and it was the sack that Derek broke his leg on. Penn has said that that one play haunted him all offseason.

It was just a bad game for the Raiders.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

"All the poster was requiring was clarity"

The title had "The Raiders (NFL) Threw Game." The letters "NFL" WAS the clairification. Anybody not knowing what those letters meant could simply look it up using an online search. Or is it understood people don't have to think for themselves anymore and need to be told everything multiples of times?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
These football stars as the equivalent of the court jester or the kings fool back in the day, my how things have changed.

They're entertainers. But not for kings these days. For gamblers and children.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I want to post a ROTFLMAO worthy of this post, but it would be so profane I would likely be kicked off of ATS.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

"All the poster was requiring was clarity"

The title had "The Raiders (NFL) Threw Game." The letters "NFL" WAS the clairification. Anybody not knowing what those letters meant could simply look it up using an online search. Or is it understood people don't have to think for themselves anymore and need to be told everything multiples of times?

It was clarification of the term being sacked that was being asked for.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The last team players to be found guilty of throwing games I know of was the 1919 Chicago Whitesox!

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

Why thank you for the detailed and visual description. This makes sense as to why it is called sacking. Wondering now how many people, who have been using the term as part of the game terminology, didn't know the origin of the term and just accepted the word as the name for that manoeuvre.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
The last team players to be found guilty of throwing games I know of was the 1919 Chicago Whitesox!

There's been a handful of point shaving scandals since then in college basketball.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Partially true, check your source. I bolded where he got inspiration for the term, and I italicized where you may have gotten your information which is not the inspiration for the term.

QB Sack

The term "sack" was first popularized by Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones in the 1960s, who felt that a sack devastated the offense in the same way that a city was devastated when it was sacked.[3]

Edit since you were dishonest:

Source

"I developed a term that is used in the game right now called sacking the quarterback," Jones is quoted on NFL.com. "Sacking a quarterback is just like you devastate a city or you cream a multitude of people. I mean it's just like you put all the offensive players in one bag and I just take a baseball bat and beat on the bag."
edit on 4-10-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Click on 'Deacon Jones' in your link and read what he said about sacks:

“You take all the offensive linemen and put them in a burlap bag, and then you take a baseball bat and beat on the bag. You’re sacking them, you’re bagging them. And that’s what you’re doing with a quarterback.”

I'll take his actual, sourced, quote as opposed to someone's paraphrased version.

edit on 4-10-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

You are using a single incomplete quote as your source?

"Sacking a quarterback is just like you devastate a city or you cream a multitude of people. I mean it's just like you put all the offensive players in one bag and I just take a baseball bat and beat on the bag."

Edit: That is a full direct quote taken from his NFL films biography.
edit on 4-10-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Either way, his quote is also about putting someone in a bag and beating them with a bat, he modified the connation later in life.

Oh, and the quote you are using is from 1999.

Here's an earlier one from 1993:

`I hated all offensive linemen and quarterbacks. I wanted to put them in a bag and beat it with a baseball bat. That's a sack.' Source

An even older story not involving Jones:

Here’s the story, as told by former NFL coach Marv Levy, as assistant under Allen with the Redskins:  “George was talking the night before in the team meeting about playing the Dallas Cowboys and their quarterback, Craig Morton.  The term [sack] had never been used.  It was always, ‘Tackle the QB for a loss.’  But the night before the game, George goes, ‘Before we play those Dallas Cowboys, we’re going to take that Morton salt and pour him into a sack.’  That was the inspiration for it.’’ Not about sacking a city

edit on 4-10-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

From your "older story" you left out a key part:

Still, it was Jones who ran with it as a word to generally describe tackling the quarterback for a loss. So while Allen gets the assist, Jones saw that the word had far broader appeal than linking a quarterback named Morton to the Morton salt brand and putting the salt in a proverbial sack.

It's OK man, nobody is attacking you here. Referencing a player, Morton, and saying "sack" can be tied to that specific player and nobody else. Salt came in sacks back then...Deacon saw that sack had a broader meaning, and applied to the entire act of destroying the offensive line and the QB. "Like sacking a city".

After all, you are the one who attempted to correct someone with incorrect/incomplete information. You do realize that the term "sack" in relation to sacking a city also means to put everything in a sack right?

to put plundered things into a sack

Deacon plundered the offense and got his QB. 180ish sacks to be precise.
edit on 5-10-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

The earlier quote from Levy does not reference sacking a city, it's quite clear. Jones's 'broader appeal' was to use that term when tackling any quarterback behind the line.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Godstuff

Replied to the wrong poster. Oops.

edit on 6-10-2017 by BeefNoMeat because: My bad

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Godstuff
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

There are rules in the NFL handbook that state players MUST stand attention when the flag is out and anthem is played. that is a fact.

Its also a fact that these players ALL of them are under contracts that give the NFL complete control of a player's appearance and behaviour on and off the field. They are under contract, thats a fact.

[SNIPPED]

operations.nfl.com...
edit on Sun Oct 1 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

Do me a favor: point out in that handbook where it explicitly says players MUST stand. I know I’ll be waiting forever — because it’s not in there and has never been a requirement — but I’ll at least give you the chance...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Those front four are eating folks alive, you what they did to them Cowboys and ya got Stormin Normin lockin'em down, their gonna stop throwing to his side soon. It's Cousins too, he's playing out of his mind!

Life long Giants fan here. Usually, this is where i hang my head in shame but... got two rings so.

Ouch. Those two rings help soften the pain...but Beckham going down and falling to 0-5 had to be a real gut punch. On the bright side, the Cowboys screwed the pooch and let A-rod beat them in the final seconds of the game. Again. #HTTR

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join