It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Silencer's" or suppressors, why are they so hard to buy?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: network dude

"Silencer's" or suppressors, why are they so hard to buy?

Why would you want every thug, gang banger, crazy white dude, or other potential criminal, what with the (more or less) silent ease of shooting a firearm in public while using, to have easy access to silencers?

I would love to have the ability to purchase suppressors for some of my firearms.

Me too. Because, why not?

not sure if you read the OP, but you can buy them now, you just have to pay and wait a bit more than you should. And criminals aren't even supposed to have guns, so how would suppressors help them? Unless they steal them or get them illegally, which is what criminals already do. The way you think is why the NRA exists. someone has to counter the silliness with over the top rhetoric. Instead of making things harder for those of us who follow the law, why don't you put some of your effort into making criminals not have guns.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hotdawg
If they don't silence the firearm, then what is the point in them?

Because they look cool and who doesn't want to look cool with a shoota.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Buy yourself some ear plugs or a nice head set ear muffs. Your argument for wanting silencers is not a very valid reason. They sell tons of ear protection.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Thats true enough, but would quieter guns not mean that gun ranges would be easier to open in districts with strict noise pollution rules?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

Again... Legal and available in Michigan

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ericendtimes

Correct but not every good and you have to use duct tape to make the seal with the barrel air tight and touch enough to hold it on when the gun is fired, one shot only as well as once the bottle is holed it is no longer as effective, slower weaker bullets also help (So less explosive propellant in the shell.

The way it work's with a plastic bottle is that the explosive emission of gas and sound from the barrel itself is slowed down by the plastic bottle making it a thump rather than a bang, this does not do much for the round though which will usually have a high enough velocity to create a mini sonic boom hence weaker rounds but a dedicated suppressor developed for the gun you are using will take that into account in it's design and slow the round down just enough to be effective.

Dedicated silenced weapon's have subsonic bullet velocity's but effective suppressors also slow the bullet muzzle velocity which of course reduces range and stopping power as well as impact reducing the cavitation of the round on impact (which reduces the shock wave imparted tissue tearing and damage that a normal velocity bullet will cause making silences weapon's less effective in general).

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262

Buy yourself some ear plugs or a nice head set ear muffs. Your argument for wanting silencers is not a very valid reason. They sell tons of ear protection.

I dispute that "valid reasons" are necessary for 87% of the things that people claim need "valid reasons".

"Valid reason" is shorthand for "I don't want you to have something that I don't understand because I don't understand it, and my dislike of something I don't understand is more important than the freedom and rights of anybody else."

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hotdawg
If they don't silence the firearm, then what is the point in them?

It makes them hearing safe (Don't need ear protection). Yes they still make noise, just not at dangerous levels.
edit on 27-9-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Also, people do not like gunfire. A range near where I used to live was shut down due to noise complaints. Sometimes people in rural areas need to dispatch an animal late at night that is destroying their crops. Would you want to be woken up at 3am?
edit on 27-9-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262
So your ok then with your neighbors blasting targets and the noise and confusion it will add to the neighbors, so long as we are wearing the ear muffs? Sure sounds good, where do you live I want to practice next to understanding neighbors like yourself. I'll be shooting until you tell me to get a suppressor, deal? Especially right before bed so when you come outside, you will see I have my ear protection and I assume would not complain.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

LOL people don't get caught because of the report of a gun. people get caught because they usually shoot someone that they know for a reason that's easy to see.

It's actually pretty rare that it's someone's caught immediately after shooting someone. Unless it's a armed robbery and it's not going to matter if anyone hears the shots because the people being robbed or usually the ones that report it

Jaden
edit on 27-9-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: rickymouse

LOL people don't get caught because of the report of a gun. people get caught because they usually shoot someone that they know for a reason that's easy to see.

It's actually pretty rare that it's someone's caught immediately after shooting someone. Unless it's a armed robbery and it's not going to matter if anyone hears the shots because the people being robbed or usually the ones that report it

Jaden

Here, where I live, right across the road from the local gun club, if there isn't shooting sounds... it starts to feel strange. In our local towns, police are called when gunfire is heard. The governor making fireworks legal led to problems with more calls initially but that has gone back down.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: openyourmind1262

I dispute that "valid reasons" are necessary for 87% of the things that people claim need "valid reasons".

"Valid reason" is shorthand for "I don't want you to have something that I don't understand because I don't understand it, and my dislike of something I don't understand is more important than the freedom and rights of anybody else."

Well said. I personally don't make purchase decisions about anything in my life based on someone else's determination that I have a "valid reason" or not.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

not sure if you read the OP, but you can buy them now

I read the OP. I know they are largely legal.

And criminals aren't even supposed to have guns,

Nope.

so how would suppressors help them?

I also said potential criminals.

The way you think is why the NRA exists. someone has to counter the silliness with over the top rhetoric.

Guess you didn't get the cynicism.

Instead of making things harder for those of us who follow the law, why don't you put some of your effort into making criminals not have guns.

Gun laws actually do. It makes it harder for them to walk into a store and buy # with little to no background check on criminality or mental illness. And if people follow the law, they can still buy what they want, it just might take a little longer. You know, to weed out the "bad guys."

Just sayin'

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join