It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Silencer's" or suppressors, why are they so hard to buy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Acoustic emphasis in this video.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I was thinking the other day:

Why do people like making tons of noise when they go out to kill others? Why do they not use silencers to do it? Less chance of being heard & caught for one thing.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

originally posted by: ericendtimes
a reply to: TheLotLizard

To keep the noise down in a survival situation.Say you do not want to be heard.

You’re going to be heard with a silencer or not... unless it’s a 22 then you’re not going to even be able to incapacitate someone at range.

the bill is called "the hearing protection bill", want to guess why it's being brought forth?

You know what works better than a “hearing protection bill”..... earmuffs.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

Its because people watch movies and think a silencer actually silences the firearm. So, politicians appease the ignorant and make money in the process.

This is not true at all. The need to have a tax stamp for them goes way back to 1934 with the National firearms act. It was a response at the time to the out of control mobsters and the outbreak of mob related murders.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

First question is why do you need a silencer in the first place?

Hearing protection.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hotdawg
If they don't silence the firearm, then what is the point in them?

They dampen the sound.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You’re going to be heard with a silencer or not... unless it’s a 22 then you’re not going to even be able to incapacitate someone at range.

the bill is called "the hearing protection bill", want to guess why it's being brought forth?

That only benefits the shooter.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

as I pointed out earlier, ear muffs and or plugs are not a benefit, so much as an impairment.
fire arms can be dangerous, why would you want to require the users to not be able to hear what's going on around them?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
with a silencer you will still be heard, it just wont bust your ears up rally bad if you are indoors and your average person probably would not realize what they heard was a gun shot.. if you ever had to use a gun to defend my home it would be nice to have one so your not deaf afterwards.

on a .22 there pretty silent anything else i have heard them on it quiets it down allot but its not like in the movies..

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

You do know you can wear earmuffs and not be shooting... mind blown!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Why would you want every thug, gang banger, crazy white dude, or other potential criminal, what with the (more or less) silent ease of shooting a firearm in public while using, to have easy access to silencers?

I would love to have the ability to purchase suppressors for some of my firearms.

Me too. Because, why not?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Why would you want every thug, gang banger, crazy white dude, or other potential criminal, what with the (more or less) silent ease of shooting a firearm in public while using, to have easy access to silencers?

I would love to have the ability to purchase suppressors for some of my firearms.

Me too. Because, why not?

as covered, not silent. at all.

would be nice to be able to hear what other people are doing when hunting in the woods with a large caliber rifle, though.
stalking around with a big gun unable to hear seems a lot like driving around a big bus without being able to see so well.

edit on 26-9-2017 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

No, it's not silent, but the volume of the discharge is greatly reduced, and less noticeable to the average public.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The cons tend to outweigh the pros to Short Barrel Rifles as well, but there is a deeper boat there.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There is no legitimate reason why suppressors should be regulated.

But I am concerned that once they become deregulated they will soon after become mandatory.

I like the loud bang of shooting, especially when you can feel it. That is part of the appeal to me.

I can see nanny-state types passing regulations to require all guns be silenced for hearing safety concerns and so neighbors near ranges or rural property will not subject to loud noises.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

LMAO!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I can see nanny-state types passing regulations to require all guns be silenced for hearing safety concerns and so neighbors near ranges or rural property will not subject to loud noises.

That, or pass regulations that all guns shoot subsonic ammo. : O

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I like to shoot once in a while on the weekends, my neighbors are good friends and they like to have rummage sales on the weekends.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

First question is why do you need a silencer in the first place?

Suppressors are great tools for people who shoot on a regular basis. Even with hearing protection, knocking the decibels down helps reduce the extended exposure for the user. It also knocks the hard edge off the sound for any neighbours.

Even in the UK, land of "make all the things illegal", suppressors are simple to get and commonly used on ranges to keep the noise levels more sociable. I'm told that in some countries it's considered rather impolite to hunt without one.

Silencer regulation in the US is another fantastic example of laws being written by people who don't actually understand (or don't care) what they are legislating.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Most cities of any size here in the states have "gunshot recognition systems" they hear the shot then triangulate as to where it came from. There's also a system used to locate "sniper fire" damn near in an instant. It's counter intuitive to legalize silencers & suppressors because of these systems. Wanting a silencer because you don't want to wake your neighbor is not a very good reason for the legalization of silencers.

Not to sound like an asshat, but I shoot everyday. I walk out my 150 yards from my house or nearest house, set up my iron, load my lovelies and practice, practice, practice. I as long as I'm within the law and my land.....I could give shat what my neighbor says.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join