It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Silencer's" or suppressors, why are they so hard to buy?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
First question is why do you need a silencer in the first place?

Because it's nice to know you won't go deaf if you have to defend yourself in your own home.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Who cares? I live in goddamned New Jersey and the only silencing I'll ever get is when I talk to loud in Barnes and Noble.

I'm coming down by you when you get one so I can *pew* *pew* *pew* discreetly.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ericendtimes

For the most part they don't. On a 22 yeah on anything larger no.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hotdawg

Actually they can suppress it quite a bit. But the main reason for having suppressors is hearing protection because you will damage your hearing if you don't wear ears or if you don't have a suppressed gun. Now suppressors coupled with subsonic ammunition can be quiet very quiet so this whole still hear you coming is kind of BS.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

A suppressed 22 sounds like a BB gun.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

That was all so dry with supersonic ammunition. Use it wet with subsonic ammunition and you'll barely hear the cycling.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Hate to burst your bubble but Every Thug criminal Etc already has easy access to silencers. That's the benefit of being a criminal you don't have to obey the laws

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Subsonic ammo won't do you much good without a suppressor it's not going to be much quieter than Super Sonic

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Again someone with nefarious intent doesn't obey the law if they want a suppressor they'll get one and use it all you're stopping is law-abiding citizens from being able to shoot without damaging their ears.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Because, can you name one legal reason to need one? Protect cop's ears? No way, then civilians will be walking through crossfire without realizing it. The target sure knows if he has been shot with a suppressor, but the report of that shot is what makes everybody else get away from the area, not inadvertently cross through it.

Outside of a law enforcement ear preservation scenario, what other legal reason could there be for desiring a suppressor? They hide the gunshot, i.e. hide the activity from others, and if there is a necessecity for that then they know they're doing something wrong.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

They are legal in Michigan.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

wtf law enforcement use only?? That is ridiculous. No officer is going to stop to thread on a suppressor during an active shooter situation as they do not exactly holster well. Its clear to me you have no idea what your talking about right now.
a reply to: Liquesence
Anybody here right now can tape a 20oz bottle to the end and make a disposable sound muffler. That means any criminal of which you mentioned could do the same. properly made one is a convenient way for homeowners to practice at home in the yard without disturbing the neighborhood. Your immediate neighbor may be like "eh, whats that strange sound??" but two houses down its barely going to register.

People should have the right to practice at home with the proper tools from having the HOA or neighborhood watch fill the streets with panic and police responding to a false alarm.

Any criminal could spend $1.59 on a 20 oz soda and have themselves the same capability, yet it hardly ever happens. Got to remember that a lot of law breakers are not bright, and most never even discharge a firearm used in the crime. If the thought crosses their mind to make it quiet, it is because they intend to kill. If they intend to do it quietly, clearly a $5 investment will make it easy for them to bypass restrictions. Intent is key here.

Its time for these draconian misguided restrictions to go the way of prohibition!
edit on 9-26-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I'll weigh in as at least this is a topic that I know a bit about. Usually not the case

Silencers/suppressors should be available without dealing with ridiculous taxes, paperwork, etc. Obviously just my opinion.

A couple of observations from the comments in the thread...

Call them silencers or suppressors , both could be construed as correct. I believe suppressor is more accurate, as none completely stop a sound signature. But the inventor, Hiram Maxim (son of the man that invented the Maxim machine gun) patented his idea in 1909 under the term silencer and sold as such. So whatever, either or.

Currently, 42 states allow the ownership of suppressors. Again assuming you pay the taxes and jump through the hoops required.

What hoops and taxes? Well, a $200 tax stamp goes to Uncle Sam in addition to the cost of your purchase. You'll also have to either file your form 4 application as either an individual or a trust. ( this is accurate as of about two years ago, they may have made changes to whether you can purchase under a trust recently.) If you're filing as an individual, you need to go see your local LEO, I believe the Sheriff, and get approval, as well as printed and background checked etc. Filing as a trust? either buy premade trust documents ($100), or see a competent lawyer to have docs drawn up.

File and wait... About 3 years ago, the application forms were done so that either you could mail them in or file online. Online was significantly quicker... for awhile. Until the system broke and the BATF closed it down. I imagine it's been fixed by now. As of two years ago, the average wait was about 7 months to get approval. Then you could pick up your purchase at an approved FFL class 3 dealer.

I know SilencerCo, it's a good company. I know the above because I've purchased from them. At the time, which was again about two years ago, I waited 8 months from time of purchase to get my form 4 back, and then was able to complete the other transfer form from the FFL dealer that had been holding my purchase in his safe for the better part of a year.

As for the effectiveness of a suppressor, I only have experience with .22 caliber. The video posted earlier in the thread appears to be much louder than my experience. Maybe it's the mic location or something. I don't know. With the suppressor I have with standard velocity ammunition, attached to a Ruger 22/45 or Walther PPK/22, it sounds like a loud pellet gun. Put it on a Ruger 10/22 rifle with subsonic ammo, it's very quiet. Like "Hollywood" quiet. The loudest noise is the action cycling on the rifle. Shoot it wet, or from a bolt action rifle, it's even a smidge quieter.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't even buy one if I could get them cheap. They might tempt some people to shoot someone if they knew they could get away with it.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: imitator

Subsonic ammo won't do you much good without a suppressor it's not going to be much quieter than Super Sonic

Jaden

That depends on the gun and ammo... 223 subsonic ammo without a suppressor might sound like an 22lr, with a suppressor it might sound like a loud pellet gun. 22lr subsonic ammo without a suppressor might sound like a pellet gun, and with a suppressor you might just hear clicks.

edit on 10091030am302017Wed, 27 Sep 2017 02:10:46 -0500 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Because, can you name one legal reason to need one? Protect cop's ears? No way, then civilians will be walking through crossfire without realizing it. The target sure knows if he has been shot with a suppressor, but the report of that shot is what makes everybody else get away from the area, not inadvertently cross through it.

Outside of a law enforcement ear preservation scenario, what other legal reason could there be for desiring a suppressor? They hide the gunshot, i.e. hide the activity from others, and if there is a necessecity for that then they know they're doing something wrong.

And yet, amazingly, hundreds of thousands of people own and use them without any criminal activity being involved.

But somehow there's still "no legal reason". Fancy that. I guess all those people are secretly shooting folk and no one has ever found out... perhaps because they're using suppressors!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

If you go to jimstones blog he had a pics of some homemade ones. They will still be there but you'll have dig around for them now.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I was GREATLY surprised by the new BLACK ACES shotgun with 8"barrels,myself.
I want to make a SPAS style hook and use that,a guy CAN'T buttstroke AT ALL with that new stuff.
edit on 27-9-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I think there are many factors involved, many reasons people might give, to oppose such a move. As others have mentioned, you have the Hollywood idea that a suppressor reduces heard report by so much, that a gun might be fired in close proximity to targets of a mass shooting, without anyone outside the fire arc being any the wiser. Nothing could be further from the truth of course, because to be anything like as quiet as that, the weapon itself would need drastic modification, as well as any rounds intended to be fired out of it.

But you also have the concern that some might have about those shot finder systems the police use in cities, being baffled or less effective as a result of suppressors being used in criminal activity. I do not know if that is a reality, but it seems reasonable, given how those systems work, that suppressing the shot might alter the efficacy of any positioning or triangulation the system might do to locate the shot on a map.

Further to that, when someone hears shots in a built up area, they tend to grab the phone, because they know there should not be shooting occurring in that heavily residential place. This means that it is harder for someone to commit an offense involving a gun, without residents around the area immediately hearing it, and calling the police, thereby increasing the chances of their being caught, which in turn lessens the likelihood that a reasonable cost/benefit analysis would result in someone electing to use a firearm in a criminal manner.

However, with suppressors, although they are not any where near the silencers that the movies might suggest (although there have been, in history, some VERY quiet guns, like the Welrod for example), there is the chance that use of them might reduce the audibility of a shot well enough that residents in proximity to a shot might not actually hear it, or might mistake it for something else, especially if they are not familiar with the sound of suppressed fire, which most people just are not.

That being said, I think that suppressors should be available to the public. The reason? Simple. Guns are loud. If you had suppressors available, the noise level created by the weapons would be less, and this would mean no sound limit ordinance in built up areas would get in the way of setting one up. This would mean that inner city gun ranges could be much closer to the communities they serve, and that would mean more people in cities being as familiar and comfortable with firearms, as those in rural areas often are, which would mean it is less easy for criminals to intimidate people using them.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I have a suppressor that i use with a couple firearms.
Its a 16 inch by 3 foot box lined with sound absorbent materiel and has two 4 inch holes in the ends.

Is cuts the sound by about 75% and is legal in calif as long as its not latched/fixed to the gun.
edit on 27-9-2017 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join