It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

240,000 flee 'imminent' Bali volcano eruption

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

About 240,000 people are fleeing Bali's Mount Agung precinct in eastern Indonesia, with the volcano threatening to erupt at any moment. The warning was raised to the maximum level four on Friday night, which means a hazardous eruption is imminent for the first time in 54 years. This could happen within 24 hours.

Mt Agung, which is 71km from the tourist destination of Kuta, last erupted in 1963, killing 1100 people.

The 1963 eruption was also preceded by earthquakes. Lava and small explosions of volcanic ash began in February leading to a major explosion on March 17.

Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions......

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grindhouzer

MAY THE GAMES BEGIN

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Let's hope everyone gets-out safely.

Such a beautiful place, yet Mother Nature has no kindness, nor meanness: just consequences.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The ring of fire is definitely living up to it's name lately. If it's not volcanoes, it's earthquakes. It seems the Earth is restless! 😦

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Many countries issued advisory warnings to tourists after highest level alert was issued Friday for Mount Agung volcano in Bali, Indonesia, with a warning that an eruption could be imminent.

The warning was issued after an increase in seismic activity around the mountain, reports said. Seismic monitoring equipment on the volcano recorded 676 tremors Thursday caused by lava pushing through layers of rock deep beneath the mountain; 178 tremors were recorded in one six-hour period Friday morning, according to Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"Volcanic activity remains high and there are indications of magma rising to the surface and causing tremors," said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho of the National Disaster Management Agency, according to Reuters.

Around 240,000 people are expected to flee eastern Indonesia within the next 24-hours, news.com.au reported. Local residents who stay around the mountain described the volcano as "starting to spit." “Of course it’s going to explode,” a man living near the mountain said.

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yep. Hurricanes, Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions; nothing new here. However, I'm happy to hear of the warning and evacuations. I hope everyone remains safe.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Mother Nature got up at the wrong side of the moon this year .

Maybe that's why everyone is putting there retardness into 6th gear .

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I remember the warnings before Mt. St. Helens blew. Eruption imminent, everyone evacuated, the press, scientists, and nation were watching intently, and.... nothing.

Days, weeks went by and then, just as everyone let their guard down and people began to move back in-- WHAM.

Volcanoes aren't like hurricanes that you can see coming on a radar screen. There are indications, they are nervous, better evacuate instead of having to explain later why they knew beforehand and didn't. Make it sound imminent so people will actually leave. Tell them, Danger, danger, imminent, within twenty four hours...

(maybe)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You seem to remember incorrectly. The problem was that the evacuation area was too small.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

From your link...

The mountain had been showing signs that it might blow for months before that fatal Sunday.

I remember pissed off people evacuated for months on end. You remember something else.
edit on 23-9-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: grindhouzer

Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions......

the same things that have been happening since pre-history but... now it means something grand?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I remember the warnings before Mt. St. Helens blew. Eruption imminent, everyone evacuated, the press, scientists, and nation were watching intently, and.... nothing.

Days, weeks went by and then, just as everyone let their guard down and people began to move back in-- WHAM.

Volcanoes aren't like hurricanes that you can see coming on a radar screen. There are indications, they are nervous, better evacuate instead of having to explain later why they knew beforehand and didn't. Make it sound imminent so people will actually leave. Tell them, Danger, danger, imminent, within twenty four hours...

(maybe)

Yes, I was up in Yakima with the national guard coming home and we got caught in the ash cloud by the time we went from the motor pool to the barracks!!

Pitch black and nothing but ash the size quarter sized flakes and lightning strikes starting from 50ft in the air and striking the ground.....!

I hope everyone gets out

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

No one yet knows when - or even if - Mount Agung will erupt, though the intensity and frequency of seismic activity within the crater has been steadily increasing over the week with 800 tremors recorded between midnight and early afternoon Saturday (local time).

“This strengthens our belief that the magma is rising,” Indonesia’s Centre for Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation chief Kasbani said Saturday.

“Yesterday, the magma was 5km from the surface. We are still measuring today’s depth but it is trying to find its way out - hence the tremors which occur when pressure from the magma ruptures through weak spots below the surface. “The signs are there that it will erupt. But when? No one can predict it.”

www.theaustralian.com.au...
edit on 23-9-2017 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Smoking Bali Volcano Forces Thousands to Evacuate

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said there had been 160-foot-high smoke blasts from the crater. The volcano is close to 10,000 feet tall, or about two miles above sea level, and is the highest point on the island of Bali.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

edit on 23-9-2017 by grindhouzer because: link

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Is Climate Change to blame for this? I only ask because I feel like it will be sold that way before the day is over. MIght as well get it over with early.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Pitch black and nothing but ash the size quarter sized flakes and lightning strikes starting from 50ft in the air and striking the ground.....!

Wow, that must have been awesome.

Closest I got to St. Helens was years later, near Portland Oregon. From there you can see it sitting on the horizon. The locals told me if the wind had been blowing west that day...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Is Climate Change to blame for this? I only ask because I feel like it will be sold that way before the day is over. MIght as well get it over with early.

Volcanos Are Climate Change.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Update...

Indonesian media is reporting that wild animals — including snakes and apes — are panicked by the stirring volcano and moving through settled areas.

Men from a traditional village in the volcano’s shadow believe the descent of animals from the top of the mountain is one of “seven signs” an eruption will occur. Small numbers begin to move up to three months before an eruption.

Such an animal exodus was observed before Mount Agung’s previous eruption in 1963.

Bal i volcano

That settles it for me. Animals are smarter than scientists, and they are bagging ass.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

What if.... the whole ring.... is a massive.... super volcano....

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

then we are all dead

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join