It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on the V280 Tiltrotor Prototype?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
nationalinterest.org...

Guess the Army is looking to replace the Blackhawk and Apache with the V280. I know some units have replaced their Blackhawks with the Lakota.

Calling in CAS would be pretty interesting!

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Cavrecon22

Military spending is a waste of money. All our military spending did nothing to protect us on 9/11. Why would a V280 make us any shred more safer.

I tell you what will make us safer. Stronger port security at ports of origin. Our biggest threat to this country is a dirty bomb showing up in Port Elizabeth or Long Beach. We should have the same security protocols the Europeans have. How is having a V280 going to stop a dirty bomb showing up in one of our ports in a shipping container??????

The V280 is complete waste of money.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That's not entirely accurate, but everyone gets it wrong. This is part of the Joint Multi-Role program, which is the precursor to the Future Vertical Lift program. JMR is being used to help them establish their goals and standards for the FVL program. They're going to replace the Apache and Black Hawk under the FVL program, not JMR. There are something like five stages in FVL, from a light scout, to a very heavy, CH-53 style helicopter.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

That's not entirely accurate, but everyone gets it wrong. This is part of the Joint Multi-Role program, which is the precursor to the Future Vertical Lift program. JMR is being used to help them establish their goals and standards for the FVL program. They're going to replace the Apache and Black Hawk under the FVL program, not JMR. There are something like five stages in FVL, from a light scout, to a very heavy, CH-53 style helicopter.

Last I heard a lot of our Blackhawks were going to get updated 'systems' but I wasn't given any details. I cant wait to see what the DEAL program brings!

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

How would not having a military make us any safer if someone decides to start something and we need them. I agree that we need better port security, but stopping military spending isn't the answer. The attacks on 9/11 were attacks that our military were not trained to stop. They were trained for something coming from the outside heading in, not starting inside.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Military spending is a waste of money. All our military spending did nothing to protect us on 9/11. Why would a V280 make us any shred more safer.

I tell you what will make us safer. Stronger port security at ports of origin. Our biggest threat to this country is a dirty bomb showing up in Port Elizabeth or Long Beach. We should have the same security protocols the Europeans have. How is having a V280 going to stop a dirty bomb showing up in one of our ports in a shipping container??????

The V280 is complete waste of money.

I agree with your thoughts on internal security. Military spending, as outrageous as it can be sometimes, is necessary.

Being in the Army we often do not have all the newest technology that some of our other branches have. Technology can cut down on mission time, increase awareness and most of all, save lives.

Replacing an aging air frame will cut down on costs for maintenance not to mention stave off accidents in the future.

Just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The FVL won't reach IOC for quite a while yet so they have to update what we've got until it hits its stride.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The attacks on 9/11 were attacks that our military were not trained to stop. They were trained for something coming from the outside heading in, not starting inside.

They won't stop the next one either. How do you shoot down Small Pox? Or interdict hundreds of inbound, low altitude, terrain hugging, hypersonic, sub launched cruise missiles?

With two F 16's...

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think he's counting on bury head in the sand and if we just love them they'll love us deployment. We of course need a powerful and more importantly decisive military. Hitler wouldn't have had it any other way.a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Military spending is a waste of money

Strange we use quite a bit of technology from that spending today.

From the internet to gps navigation to nuclear medicine.

Welfare spending is the waste since nothing gets created from it unlike military spending that creates trillions in wealth and middle class jobs.

On topic the v280 is ugly as hell.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that all the problems in the world are solely the fault of the US and if we just get rid of our military, everyone else will too because there won't be a threat anymore, and the world will suddenly all get along and we'll have colonies on other planets inside ten years.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'll see your Valor and raise you one Comanche! Gotta say if something is going to replace such a marvellous machine like the apache I sure hope its this...the Valor is kinda meh in the style department in my eyes.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

The Valor is only one of the demonstrators being built. The other is Defiant, which is a larger version of the Raider, pusher prop helicopter.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Meh...it looks better,than the Valor but I gotta say as far as looks the Comanche has it beat. However I am a spec nerd and since most of that isn't public info I couldn't begin to form an opinion on which I think is better... =(

ETA: Side note the Comanche reminds me of the Orca attack chopper from the first C&C game...which is pretty cool.
edit on 17-9-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Most of it isn't known. The Raider will give a ballpark on the Defiant, since they're similar designs, but both are in an entirely new class and are the first of their type. They have the numbers they're going for, but until they actually fly and get into testing, they don't know how close they are.
edit on 9/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
I'll see your Valor and raise you one Comanche! Gotta say if something is going to replace such a marvellous machine like the apache I sure hope its this...the Valor is kinda meh in the style department in my eyes.

I love the Apache a ton! I think the Army took tech from the Comanche program and applied it towards other projects (stealth Blackhawk being one of them) I don't know how I feel about the tilt rotor system just yet. I haven't been on one so I can't say.

I do love the Blackhawks tho!!

Wasn't the Comanche platform originally tasked with recon and spotting for the Apache?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Is the tail supposed to look like that? Looks off to me. It could replace the Blackhawk but not the apache.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Yes, it's a V-tail.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: WUNK22

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that all the problems in the world are solely the fault of the US and if we just get rid of our military, everyone else will too because there won't be a threat anymore, and the world will suddenly all get along and we'll have colonies on other planets inside ten years.

No one says get rid of the military. We could scale it back significantly, especially the Navy. Carriers are multi-billion dollar sitting ducks.

The US spends as much on defense as the next 10 countries combined.

If Reagan didn't cut that deal with Iran to keep the hostages, Carter's second term would have kept the US focused on renewable energy and conservation, making the Middle East irrelevant.

Had Gore rightfully been president, the Twin Towers would still be standing. Gore didn't have the daddy issues like Bush.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I SAID those aircraft from "SHEILD QUIN-JETS" should have had wide "V"tails...like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join