It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5th Sept 2017 Nevada crash

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Red Hat Su-27 certainly seems like a decent possibility, manned single-seat would tend to narrow down the candidates a bit (mostly excluding the B-21/LRSB). I've heard some rumours that they're flying a couple F-117s out of Nellis/Groom Lake again as well, so that's on the list too. And then there's the one I'm really curious about, the unidentified triangular aircraft spotted over Amarillo in 2014.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf

They are still flying at least a couple F-117s. Multiple sites used pictures that our own Sammamishman got on our trip to Tonopah last summer.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: mightmight

They easily could have put him in command of a unit through AFRL or even a development unit, instead of the Red Hats. There are other command slots that could have been used, and his experience would have been a lot better used in something other than flying with the Red Hats.
It wouldnt be the first time for the Air Force not to make full use of an individuals experience.
But if you look at the career of Lt. Col Schultz, he was all over the place, but first and foremost he was a fighter pilot:

[...] In the military he flew more than 210 missions flight testing the F-35 and CF-18. His military experience included a role as the Director of Operations and Exchange Officer for the Canadian Forces Flight Test Center, and systems engineering work for the Airborne Laser program.

He also served in Afghanistan, where he flew an F-15E in more than 50 close air support combat missions.

“He loved the hell out of flying,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead met Schultz, who he called “Doc,” in Guam in 2005 as part of the 391st Fighter Squadron during an exercise/deployment, and then flew along side him at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho for two years. Schultz’s role as a mentor to others continued in his service. He was always eager to help and pass along information, and many young pilots sought his advice, Whitehead said.

Whitehead said Schultz was calm, thoughtful, and well-versed in tactics. [...]

www.capitalgazette.com...

Sounds like a great choice for a test and evaluation / aggressor squadron

edit on 13-9-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
nm
edit on 9/13/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadeWolf
Red Hat Su-27 certainly seems like a decent possibility, manned single-seat would tend to narrow down the candidates a bit (mostly excluding the B-21/LRSB). I've heard some rumours that they're flying a couple F-117s out of Nellis/Groom Lake again as well, so that's on the list too. And then there's the one I'm really curious about, the unidentified triangular aircraft spotted over Amarillo in 2014.

www.lazygranch.com...

I photographed them twice. This was my most recent.

www.lazygranch.com...

This is my first photo session. A few wankers claimed I faked it because I didn't photograph the plane in the air.

edit on 13-9-2017 by gariac because: Added first photos

I was given this video.
www.lazygranch.com...
N105TB was there, so this might have been a test rather than exercising the stored aircraft.
edit on 13-9-2017 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf
Its a 50/50 chance its the LRSB tech demo or a high end EW bird we know little about.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Personally, I'm concerned they were testing EW against the Suk when it went down.....

Just my thought.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

Personally, I'm concerned they were testing EW against the Suk when it went down.....

Just my thought.

Do you not think they would do that on the ground, you dont need to involve laws of gravity and aerodynamics to test that.
edit on 14 9 2017 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Don't you think for now that The B-21 is in the full scale stage instead of a demonstrator ?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

This one is fun. They're all over the map. One or two sources are saying Red Hats, while the rumor mill says not Red Hats.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

I believe it's been mostly confirmed that there is at least 1 flying demonstrator for the b-21 (actually I believe there was at least 1 from the two major players fighting for the bid) . I believe the NG bird almost had an accident overseas during testing.

I'm a bit worried it may not have had such a close miss this time.

That or something deeper in the black went down... though in that case, I doubt it would affect timelines/founding.

~Winter

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Winterpain

I believe the NG bird almost had an accident overseas during testing.

Why do you believe this?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Because it was posted on a few sites, from personal sources. They almost dragged a wingtip on takeoff. The cause varied, depending on source, but they all agreed that the wingtip was as close as it could get to the ground without dragging it.
edit on 9/14/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Don't you think for now that The B-21 is in the full scale stage instead of a demonstrator ?

Quickest delivery of a prototype I know of was the WW2 RAAF CAC12 Boomerang .16 weeks from drawing board to first flight.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Getting in late, but in regards to visual stealth they had some OH-6A Loachs back in the day with added blades to the main and tail rotor for noise and basically Christmas lights for visual stealth so they could fly in twilight and moonlight. Air and Space magazine had a good article on them.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Will we ever see the demonstrator(s)?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Depends on the final design for them. If they're close enough to the final design of the production aircraft they'll probably slip them into the fleet somewhere. They've done that with other aircraft.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

*Cough* the B-2 *Cough*

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

They just pulled an F-22 EMD aircraft out of storage to add to the test fleet at Edwards.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I guess that's easier than trying turn a YF-22 into the real thing...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join