It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5th Sept 2017 Nevada crash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Pilot Dies in 'Classified' Plane Crash

Didn't see this being discussed here

"Information about the type of aircraft involved is classified and not releasable," Maj. Christina Sukach, chief of public affairs for the 99 Air Base Wing at Nellis, said in an email.

The crash is said to have occurred roughly 100 miles north of Las Vegas, deep within the Nevada Test and Training Range. The fact that the aircraft was owned by the Air Force Material Command likely means that it was likely a test aircraft, which could be anything from an F-16 to an F-35s to a exotic and highly classified test article to a foreign fighter jet.

Says the crash occured at 6pm, surely that rules out anything really exotic right?
edit on 9-9-2017 by E92M3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Maybe we should have some civilian oversight for these fly boys gone wild. Who's to say these aircraft are safe to fly in our skies for their pilots or people on the ground.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caughtlurking
Maybe we should have some civilian oversight for these fly boys gone wild. Who's to say these aircraft are safe to fly in our skies for their pilots or people on the ground.

this would be the exact reason why these tests are not conducted over cities or populated areas.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bluetrees

Yeah. The middle of a large wasteland does seem appropriate.

The coyotes and rattlers might think different though. But there's no shortage of them.

edit on 9/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Are the LRSB demonstrators still classified at this point? The crash occured around 6pm, more than an hour before sunset. Usually classified aircraft are flown at night.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Is that a fact?

Opine from Geriac?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
www.nellis.af.mil...

Above is the official press release.

I tend to agree that 6PM is too early for something secret, but who knows. The fact they won't disclose what he was flying certainly indicates a test article.

I logged two NOTAMs the day of the A-10 crashes. If there was a third NOTAM, I would have seen it.

This is what I have on the A-10s. I suppose if the test article crash is deep enough in the range, they don't have to issue a NOTAM.

Here are two probable locations. Both on restricted territory.
N36 43 36 W115 51 14
N36 41 31 W115 51 18

!FDC 7/7350 ZLA NV..AIRSPACE LAS VEGAS, NV..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 5 NM RADIUS OF 364336N1155114W (BEATTY VORTAC BTY080043.3) SFC-3000FT AGL AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPS UNDER DIRECTION OF NELLIS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE. NELLIS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY TELEPHONE 702-652-4222 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. TBA IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. EFFECTIVE 1709070415 UTC UNTIL 1709140415 UTC. 1709070415-1709140415

!FDC 7/7349 ZLA NV..AIRSPACE LAS VEGAS, NV..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 10 NM RADIUS OF 364131N1155118W (BEATTY VORTAC BTY083043.5) SFC-3000FT AGL AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPS UNDER DIRECTION OF NELLIS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE. NELLIS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY TELEPHONE 702-652-4222 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. TBA IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. EFFECTIVE 1709070415 UTC UNTIL 1709140415 UTC. 1709070415-1709140415

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein, while traveling Saturday morning to the annual conference of the National Guard Association of the United States in Louisville, Ky., ruled out speculation the aircraft involved may have been an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

"I can definitely say it was not an F-35," he told a Military.com reporter accompanying him on the trip.

www.military.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No, it's pretty much a fact at this point. They do some testing during the day, or before the sun goes down, but that's one reason that the F-117 went white. They had to do daytime testing, and they were fairly sure it was going to be seen, so they went grey with it before they started daylight testing.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: bluetrees

This is the exact reason why the taxpayers should be deciding whether or not this is expensive testing is necessary. Sure, over the wasteland, should be safe. Right. Remember that UAV that went rogue and luckily crashed into a mountain and not an elementary school. My elementary school was on top of a mountain actually. Seems reckless.

Still probably hundreds of millions of dollars and a valuable pilots life lost. For what? If these aircraft were really so groundbreaking they wouldn't all end up buried in the dessert with no accountability. It would sure be easy to get more money out of us the honest way if the tech is really so awe inspiring. Like it or not they're robbing us all blind and lying to us to boot.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers to their family who will probably also receive lies instead of answers.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: E92M3

Condolences and prayers to family and friends of pilot.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Yeah, ok. In that case, we can kiss any advancements, and training goodbye. Accidents are always a possibility, no matter where you fly. The public doesn't get to choose what military equipment is needed or where and when it flies.

That "rogue UAV", even if it had crashed into a school, would have done minimal damage. It was less than 400 pounds at its maximum weight. No matter what aircraft you're talking about can potentially kill someone, but risks are reduced as much as possible.

You have a better chance of being hit by a meterorite than you do of a test aircraft or UAV hitting you.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not the point. There's a severe lack of civil oversight of what the military is doing in our skies. There is nothing wrong witha more open relationship between the military and an elected oversight. The truth is that the DoD looks at elected civilians as temporary employees who don't have a need to know. There's a lot of punch drinkers in the world but at some point someone should be getting some questions answered. You can't justify 70B in Black projects when highways and other infrastructure are collapsing and rotting more every day.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

There is plenty of oversight. They don't just spend the money and buy something without telling anyone. Congress has oversight of every single program out there, as do other agencies. Just because only certain committees have oversight doesn't mean that there's no oversight. And Congress doesn't need to know what they do on every single test flight. They are overseeing the program in question, and have been quite closely monitoring it.

As for what they are buying, that is between Congress and the Pentagon. They're the ones that pass the budget. They decide to spend the money on black projects not roads.
edit on 9/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
We don't even know what happened yet, so I don't see the need in pushing for "more oversight". It's easy for someone with no background in the topic to make recommendations like that, but if every time something bad happened and we called for more oversight, laws, and protections, then we probably wouldn't be able to drive at more than 5 mph or leave the house.

Sometimes bad things happen. And sometimes there is inherit risk in doing something.

Interesting discussion:

twitter.com...

Stephen Trimble‏ @FG_STrim 4h

Why "definitely"? Can't think of reason to rule it out yet, although I do still think it's unlikely. More likely I think is Constant Peg.

twitter.com...

Aircraft Spots‏ @aircraftspots 3h

Thank you! At appx 2PM on 5 SEP, SKULL02 & JESTER 31, 32 were in R-2508, one of the JESTERs mentioned reaching emergency point 1/2

Jester 31 was Jester 31 461FLTS F-35 apparently.

They then moved further from my listening range, I believe they moved east of Panamint MOA which would lead towards NTTR

Aircraft Spots‏ @aircraftspots 3h3 hours ago

They could've recovered @ Nellis or somewhere else during the emergency then took off later and something might have happened during that.

edit on 9/9/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Too early though. That was at 2 pm, the accident timeline given puts the crash at later. I don't see why they'd hide an F-35 crash though.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It wasn't an F-35 crash, Gen Goldfein confirmed. Shame on those who are already blaming the F-35.

How likely is it that they're putting the F-35 up against adversary aircraft already, to develop tactics, in preparation for uh... North Korea and/or IOT&E? I was thinking the adversary aircraft crashed. Is this crazy? That being said, I don't think it would make sense for a SDD aircraft from Air Force Material Command to be doing this though.

We know:
- Pilot was (not sure if currently?) a F-35A SDD pilot, before that he was former F-15 instructor at Mountain Home AFB. He is also an accomplished test pilot and aerospace engineer. Seems like the perfect person to fly a Sukhoi against the most modern USAF fighter.
- It was not a F-35.
- Mig / Sukhois operate out of Groom Lake, but these may/may not be Air Force Materiel Command.
- AFMC aircraft crashed.

Maybe:
- F-35 SDD AFMC aircraft were potentially in the area several hours earlier (although perhaps he was mistaken and it was an OT&E squadron).

EDIT:

There's a problem with Constant Peg theory. TAC (ACC) owned Constant Peg aircraft, not AFSC (AFMC). 5 Sep crash involved AFMC-owned plane.

twitter.com...

Stephen Trimble could be wrong?

I think it is most likely black aircraft.
edit on 9/9/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

I have plenty of background in the military and it's inadequacy, thank you. And Zaph what are you talking about 400lbs? Have they miniaturized the rq-4 lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The UAV that "went rogue" and was found in the trees in Colorado was an RQ-7 Shadow. If you're talking about the one in California, it didn't "go rogue", it crashed. It was at altitude flying from point A to point B, and it crashed along the route. It was not "rogue" and found in the trees. They knew where it was almost from impact, and it could have happened to any aircraft, manned or unmanned.

Military aircraft had three accidents this week, not one of which impacted people on the ground. I've sat and watched General Aviation have three or four accidents in one day, and kill people on the ground doing it. When are we going to worry more about them than military aviation?
edit on 9/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Seems like a lot of crashes lately. I'm out of the loop the last 2 years since I retired, but when I left practically everything was underfunded and it was affecting readiness and safety. Not sure if that would have an impact on test aircraft though? Some units get screwed by budget cuts before others. I've heard these programs are some of the last to be affected.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join