It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ProphetZoroaster

You become dismissive of these under 90mph wind predictions, until you remember that thunderstorms last year with 60-70mph wind gusts here in the Midwest made streets impassable.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Thank goodness

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

...1200 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE... ...IRMA NEARING TAMPA LAKELAND AREA STILL A CATEGORY 2 HURRICANE

Irma will continue to bring life-threatening wind impacts to much
of Florida, with hurricane-force winds near the center. Also,
Irma is a large hurricane, and hurricane-force wind gusts and
sustained tropical-storm force winds extend far from the center.
Wind hazards from Irma will also spread northward through Georgia
and into portions of Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North
Carolina.

NHC
edit on 10-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Don't take my word for it, because I cannot for the life of me find it again because it's utterly buried in Wunderground comments now (thousands...and thousands of comments) But as of about an hour ago, there was a page linked with a spreadsheet layout detailing the outages in every county and the overall percentage of the state without power. That percentage had ticked up to 50% of all power utility customers in FL without power currently.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

More on the Keys:

Apocalyptic scene over Keys, especially Big Pine & Bahia Honda Keys: literally dug ourselves out, made path for others to follow

Source
Regards to them and the rescue teams.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

This one?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
People looting a Foot Locker store in Miami
i.imgur.com...
edit on 11/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yawn.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

That's not it, but it works well! If my head math is right (another thing to not hold me to) that site shows a 56% statewide outage rate

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Cool
I got it off the chat of the stream I've been watching. Glad it helped some!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: violet

More on the Keys:

Apocalyptic scene over Keys, especially Big Pine & Bahia Honda Keys: literally dug ourselves out, made path for others to follow

Source
Regards to them and the rescue teams.

It's just heartbreaking to see that destruction.

I just caught a clip on CNN on one of the popular bars there, the guy had said he was staying when they did a feature story on him a few days ago. Ended up he left,he's safe but his place was destroyed. All the stuff inside got pushed up by the surge. It's the one they'd always show we're people we're sitting there drinking, mot gonna leave . Snappers I think was the name but I can't recall if it's key west or key largo. No word on if the people stayed after all. I'm sure there must be some deaths there.

Mother Nature is more powerful than us.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
We just had a nasty squall in St. Augustine. The wind was intense but the flooding is significant. Mass power outage. So far the marina I am atbhas faired well. We are past tide, hopefully the water level will drop. We are about 5 feet above normal high tide here.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Heard it was 50% of the customers out.
There must be a list of outages online, I could t find one when I looked. My company has that so I'm sure they do.

edit on 11-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I just heard a bunch of dry air got sucked into the hurricane stopping the rain on the southern side of the storm but it hasn't stopped the wind. I know where that dry air came from. It hasn't rained here in western South Carolina in a long time. It's bone dry here and very cool as well. I'm glad my area can help out in unexpected ways. This storm seems more like a winter storm with forecasted highs in the low 60's today in South Carolina.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter
Quick check in. No electricity. No land-line. Waterfront property. House sill high and dry. A couple of big branches and a couple of young trees down. No damage to the house. Both screened in porches without damage, again.

I am not special, but I am truly blessed.

Thank you ATSers for your support and this thread.

I continue to pray for all. Onehuman did the dike stay in its banks?

What is happening to Jose and Lee?

Will check-in in about an hour or so.

Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Jose is going north mid Atlantic and won't affect anyone but the fish.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: gps777

Those guys should just stick their arms out of the car, if they want to clock the wind speed. The danger of getting knocked unconscious by debris is quite high...unless they were on a beach, maybe.

I've been on a beach in a hurricane. It's exfoliation to the extreme. Sand blasting your skin. Ouch.
Even hurricane rain hurts when it comes down so strong .

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gps777

Some of us just can't help it. Adrenaline junkies. I've gone outside to experience the storm in every hurricane that's come through coastal Virginia and that's been a lot.
And I see my neighbors doing the same. We sit on the porch watching the storm. (and this neighborhood is all historic homes with big porches so everybody has one. )
Or we will take a drive around to see what's happening. Trying to avoid the big trees and falling branches.
I bet if you were in one you'd go outside too just to have that experience. I think it's human nature. Of course none of the storms I've been in were cat 4.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
I just heard a bunch of dry air got sucked into the hurricane stopping the rain on the southern side of the storm but it hasn't stopped the wind. I know where that dry air came from. It hasn't rained here in western South Carolina in a long time. It's bone dry here and very cool as well. I'm glad my area can help out in unexpected ways. This storm seems more like a winter storm with forecasted highs in the low 60's today in South Carolina.

Yeah, it's chilly out here too. I'm in NC

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join