It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They are sweet little creatures, even if they do resemble, said slug, ha.

I'm so glad people stepped up and were able to help. I'm a bit sappy when it comes to animals, admittedly. And happy endings. The world can always use more happy endings.

Good to see you around here. Lead on.
Peace
Pic link

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
a reply to: jrod

A guy named Aydan Child on Periscope was live about 4 hours ago from Marathon. I haven't seen anything since. Jeff Piotrowski mentioned earlier on his stream that he was concerned - hoping for updates.
Aydan Child on Periscope
Jeff Piotrowski on Periscope live now from Naples

Update: the young man, Aydan Child, whose broadcast went viral from Marathon during Irma, then went silent, finally has an update by his sister. He is ok. Such good news. Marathon was hit pretty hard. Here is her video on Periscope link

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We're doing okay here in Orlando, just outside of Disney...

...tons of yard debris, but only one tree down in our neighborhood.

Power went out just after midnight and is still off, though fortunately we have enough solar panels to run the refrigerator and a little window a.c. unit in my bedroom..

Hubby might have to work from home tomorrow, due to a stretch of flooding on the only road out of our neighborhood (though people with SUVs can get thru it).

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've been hoping for good news about these cool six-toed cats at the Key West Ernest Hemingway home and museum.

Hemingway's house and cats spared by Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Irma battered the Florida Keys over the weekend, but the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, its staffers and its 54 six-toed cats were unharmed by the storm, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Jacque Sands, the general manager of the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum told the newspaper that the house was not severely damaged by the cyclone, and that the museum's 10 staffers and the dozens of polydactyl felines that populate the property are safe and accounted for.

Source

Thoughts for everyone still in harm's way of this storm and those digging out, in its wake.
edit on 11-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I survived. The house has no damage. The power just came back on. No internet yet but I'm incredibly thankful the AC and fans are running again. The tv kept saying it could be weeks before power is restored... Phew. Thank god/gods/spirits/whatever.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Good to hear you and the house are OK.
edit on 9/11/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

such pretty little tomatoes!!!

glad to hear hemingway's house made it through okay...

lol. my grandmother had a black cat that had seven toes, she names him tomatoes.... too many toes.
years later, our siamese cat had kittens and a few of them were tomatoes, one of the tomatoes also was siamese. sweetest cat in the world!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Some Florida Keys residents can go home tomorrow. Key Largo, Tavernier, and Islamorada residents. There will a road block at mile marker 74 due to the road being washed out. (I cant copy and paste the brief from Monroe County.

m.facebook.com...

All the bridges until mm 16 have been declared safe.

A little bit of good news for Florida Keys residents. I know a lot of people justified staying because of the hassle of coming home.
edit on 11-9-2017 by jrod because: S

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I survived. The house has no damage. The power just came back on. No internet yet but I'm incredibly thankful the AC and fans are running again. The tv kept saying it could be weeks before power is restored... Phew. Thank god/gods/spirits/whatever.

IKR got to have that A/C, otherwise I would be hurting. One day without it, and I was suffering. A/C is the most important.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It's great to hear that the widespread destruction was nowhere near what the National Hurricane Center, and the Media was predicting for Florida.

When the next major Hurricane is headed towards Florida and the governor asks for mass evacuations, will as many people heed that request as they did for Irma?

edit on 9/11/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Now I see why you shouldn't drive in bad weather if you don't have too.
Tree meet moving car in Georgia today.
twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It seems like most storms are more hype than bite. If it is a few years before the next major storm threatens, then yes but if we get another major one this season or next probably not.

Predicting the path and strength of a hurricane is difficult. I do think there are usually too many evacuation orders for most storms, and many who do no need to evacuate leave anyway because they are caught in the hype the media seems to push. It seems like every storm I know people who evacuate only to get it worse where they evacuated to. I have stayed behind several times for a mandatory evacuation because I felt it was the best call and I was right. Emergency management maybe should re-evaluate how they do things. Too many unnecessary evacuations causes a lot of problems.

Florida got lucky, without weakening over Cuba it would have been much stronger, a little further west, the west coast would have seen bad storm surge, further east and that side would have had much more storm surge. There is widespread minor wind damage, with some moderate, and very isolated severe damage.
edit on 11-9-2017 by jrod because: Err

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
This thing really was a beast.
I'm so shocked at it taking the water off the beaches and even rivers! I wonder if that prediction might need to be added into watches on future major hurricanes.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Well that's the thing, they cant really predict where it will go.

Might be best to be like you and do what you feel is right for your own situation.

I think Katrina put a scare into everyone and with just having Harvey it prompted them to stay in the cautious side.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: carewemust

It seems like most storms are more hype than bite. If it is a few years before the next major storm threatens, then yes but if we get another major one this season or next probably not.

Predicting the path and strength of a hurricane is difficult.

The prediction people have a damned if you do, and damned if you don't job.
If they predicted a lesser event, and things were worse....there would be hell to pay.
IF they predict the worse, and it is less, people bitch about that too.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProphetZoroaster
Now I see why you shouldn't drive in bad weather if you don't have too.
Tree meet moving car in Georgia today.
twitter.com...

Driving too fast under those conditions

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Indeed....and some places did get a horrible amount of damage....see the link about Jacksonville...and the coast at the north end of Florida, to GA and SC....the surge was bad there.

And, people died.

Anguilla (UK): 1
Barbados: 1
Barbuda: 3
British Virgin Islands (UK): 0
Cuba: 10
Puerto Rico (US): 3
Saint Kitts and Nevis: 0
Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy: 11
Sint Maarten: 4
United States: 5
U.S. Virgin Islands: 4

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

It had been over 10 years since the last storm made landfall. In that time Florida got about about 5 million new residents, many who have never been through a storm and did not know what to expect. This added to a lot of the hype panic leading up to the landfall.

We learn from each storm. This one was so large that both coasts had hurricane force winds at the same time. That is rare.

I have seen a lot of people talking trash about the NHC and meteorologists in general because they were so focused on the exact track and relatively minor forecasting errors, instead of looking at the big picture....which was the entire penisula under the storm, something that was predicted about a week ago. So many armchair experts out there.

With the exception of about a 40 mile stretch in the Keys, the Marco Island area, and the flooded areas, Florida had mostly minor damage. We got lucky, at least most of us.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

~

And, people died.

Anguilla (UK): 1
Barbados: 1
Barbuda: 3
British Virgin Islands (UK): 0
Cuba: 10
Puerto Rico (US): 3
Saint Kitts and Nevis: 0
Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy: 11
Sint Maarten: 4
United States: 5
U.S. Virgin Islands: 4

www.wunderground.com...

Unconfirmed sources give the impression that sadly the number will rise a lot in the Caribbean.

chopped up your post a bit for visibility

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Weather report on Irma for 9/11/17:

Some people took desperate measure to appease the Mother Nature:

Someone being dog's best friend:

Weather in Busan, South Korea wasn't great either:

edit on 12/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join