It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Alt-Left Craziness Driving Centrists To The Right

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

As I am watching good people help each other in Texas I wonder if they care about party affiliation?

The answer is no. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to make us remember how to have some humanity. With no cable news for a couple months those folks may even make a full recovery from partisan distress syndrome.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Alt right is a made up name too. No right wing "dudes" decided to make it.

It is a label and as such was assigned.

edit on 8 29 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I was far more left/center a year ago, now I am conservative/Libertarian

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think groups like Antifa actually persuade people in the center to go more to the right. I think groups like White supremacists that do outrageous events drive people more to the left. Radical groups are not to be supported. Even the Black Lives Matters movement is driving people away from equality. They may be intimidated initially but when they talk to good friends they say what they really feel. No group that riots is worth following, you do not know who they are actually working for.

The radical environmentalists were infiltrated by plants from groups that poluted to cause chaos, this way the majority called them tree huggers and saw the destruction they did to the businesses equipment. Even the animal rights activists that are overly troublesome steer people away from supporting animal rights. Some of these overzeleous people are under the payroll or steered by someone under the payroll of the businesses and people must learn to not support this chaotic behavior.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: growler

The link I provided proves you wrong.. one of the links with years worth of posts and over 50000 threads is alt.politics.radical.left, lol ... , so in your words... sorry to show you up.
Let go of CNN owning your mind.

If you like, I can also link you references in THIS FORUM referring to the alt left before Trump ever mentioned them. Would you like that? Or would you prefer not to be shown up as just parroting the false reality CNN and leftist media tell you?

I don't get why the left is so fearful of being called a certain label. Alt Left? To me it wouldn't be a bad thing to be called that if I were a leftist leaning person. For a group that likes to divide people into subcatagories, they sure don't like to be labeled. I find that odd.

And yes, the actual terms were used by Democrats well before Trump "invented" it.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Kettu

the name we have for the Alt Left isn't something that can be used here, so the "alt left" will have to suffice.
T&C's and all.

Of the printable labels, I always felt "ctrl-left" was more accurate.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I think it's absurd to think this is new.

Are you guys suggesting this a historical event that there are philosphical extremes?

People have been dividing for ever. There are entire pieces written by kings in it.

The kkk for instance was a group n the us that separated and appropriated by race.

The answer is no. Reasonable people are not swayed by morons on the extremes. There is nothing positive done by either side to sway a person already skeptical of partisan politics.

What it does is affirm how stupid party affiliation is

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

No, because the "alt-left" doesn't exist. It's a made up name by alt-right extremists and right wing talking heads.

Extreme left liberals don't call themselves "alt-left". No one on that side of the political spectrum uses that term when talking about themselves. It's made up. Fake. Fabricated.

Now, alt-right? Sure. There are lots of people who call themselves alt-right. In fact, it is those very people who invented the term "alt-left" because they wanted to take the pressure off of themselves.

Find me a radical liberal who calls themselves "alt-left". I'll wait.

Give me 30 seconds and I'll find you 100 far-right folks proud to be called "alt-right".

Ctrl left doesnt exist because it is the mainstream progressive democrat. It isnt fringe but the heart of the party now.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You are correct that the alt left is a fake term. However, instead of semantics focus on the point of the op. I can tell you that as a classic leftist, im getting turned off by the hysteria right now in the establishment left. a reply to: Kettu

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This isn't the "alt left." This is establishment liberals being whipped into hysteria by the media and power structure, using identity politics. a reply to: Blue_Jay33

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Kettu

No, because the "alt-left" doesn't exist. It's a made up name by alt-right extremists and right wing talking heads.

Extreme left liberals don't call themselves "alt-left". No one on that side of the political spectrum uses that term when talking about themselves. It's made up. Fake. Fabricated.

Now, alt-right? Sure. There are lots of people who call themselves alt-right. In fact, it is those very people who invented the term "alt-left" because they wanted to take the pressure off of themselves.

Find me a radical liberal who calls themselves "alt-left". I'll wait.

Give me 30 seconds and I'll find you 100 far-right folks proud to be called "alt-right".

Ctrl left doesnt exist because it is the mainstream progressive democrat. It isnt fringe but the heart of the party now.

The party and the American people are not the same thing. So no most people in the center left are not progressive. They are the type to vote for say Romney in MA.

I know on ats there are lots of radical extreme views but in the real world most people are not foaming at the mouth partisans.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's entirely possible to be tired of the ridiculous antics coming from the extreme left yet still remain more of a centrist.

Those on the right don't help their "cause" when they try to pretend the extreme right doesn't even exist, and turn every conversation back into something about Clinton, or abortion, or Muslims, or calling people snowflakes.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoEpic
When Obama came to power I was on the left and thought he would unify everyone as he is mixed race. Instead he destroyed the nation( by spreading white hatred and aligning himself with only blacks- colour shouldn't matter - you set the country back), this has just got worse and worse and Hillary would have expanded this so I have aligned myself as a conservative.
Trump is in power because of Obama. Trump will make America great again, get behind him.

This right here^^^^

I was raised democrat and was faithful to the party for a long time. When Hillary and Obama were running against one another, I was dressing my kid in t-shirts that said things like "Mommy and Me for Hillary." When she didn't get the nomination, I voted for Obama. Then everything changed, and I do not mean for the better. After eight years of Obama, and seeing what our nation has become....I have went to the right. Not completely, of course. I'm still pro-choice and believe gays should be allowed to marry, things of that nature...but all this racial strife. It's gotta go. Period. It's hurting our country and her people. I cannot see one good thing that all of the protests and anger and riots have achieved for any single person, let alone an entire group of people.

I keep hearing people saying that the movie Idiocracy has finally come true. I'm not quite there yet, but I sure as hell feel like I'm living in a bad version of the movie PCU. I guess that means we just need to have a big protest against protesting and then throw a nation-wide keg party and have George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic provide the entertainment.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Anecdotally, I'd have to say yes, just because I know a number of people who voted for Trump strictly because they were turned off by the far-left agenda. Most of them voted for Obama in '08. Recent conversations with them don't hint at that changing, if anything they sound even more disillusioned by the "resist" crowd.

All I have to say to the left is, keep it up. I can't wait to see the utter panic after the midterms next year.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Anecdotally, I'd have to say yes, just because I know a number of people who voted for Trump strictly because they were turned off by the far-left agenda. Most of them voted for Obama in '08. Recent conversations with them don't hint at that changing, if anything they sound even more disillusioned by the "resist" crowd.

All I have to say to the left is, keep it up. I can't wait to see the utter panic after the midterms next year.

That is a nice story but I seriously doubt it's truth.

I don't know a single person who was a centrist who thinks trump has anything of substance to offer. I know many republicans who are disillusioned by trump and his lack of legislative knowledge or ability.

The only people I know not completely turned off by all of politics are actually the extremists.

The midterms will be very bad for trump. By that time his Maga line will have failed completely from health care to tax reform because of his lack of technical ability to express ideas and not be a ceo.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: SlapMonkey

With no cable news for a couple months those folks may even make a full recovery from partisan distress syndrome.

Here's to hoping, for sure. I used to make it a game out of going back and forth between FoxNews and MSNBC to see how those two sides were reporting and editorializing on the same issues, and then I realized that my game was perpetuating my focus on the stupidity of human beings and how they let political ideologies guide their lives instead of letting their lives guide their political ideology.

It made me sad.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yeah I have to be a liar because you don't like what I have to say and that hasn't been your experience. That's brilliant logic. It's a big country. Open your mind.

Edit: For the record, I never said they were big Trump fans. Just so turned off by the other side Trump was basically a protest vote. Read what's written, not what's in your head.
edit on 29 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I voted for Obama in 08, but didnt in 12. No way i was voting for Hildabeast last year. I thought O would have been more moderate but he cleaely pandered to the extreme left imho. I feel like he took the Dems further left to the point their extremes have been normalized.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

a reply to: luthier

Yeah I have to be a liar because you don't like what I have to say and that hasn't been your experience. That's brilliant logic. It's a big country. Open your mind.

Edit: For the record, I never said they were big Trump fans. Just so turned off by the other side Trump was basically a protest vote. Read what's written, not what's in your head.

They voted for Obama but didn't like the far left agenda doesn't make sense.

It also doesn't make sense you would vote for a radical agenda twice and then be so upset by it you vote for the other radical agenda and that they have been moved to the right.

Either these people never paid attention to what they were voting for or you have embellished a story.

Either way it doesn't appear they are educated voters if they voted for Obama and then were turned off by what they voted for.

I did a protest vote as well. It just didn't go to either scumbag the msm promoted.
edit on 29-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The thing lost by the echo chambers in social media and the partisan news networks is that most people are not radical at all.

Less than 50 percent of the voting pop voted. Most modern presidential elections are nearly 50/50 by population. So let's say 25 percent voted Democrat. Out of those 25, 10 percent are the true believers.

We are talking tiny numbers of people actually believe their party rhetoric.

But they are loudmouth limelighters so everyone thinks these radical ideas are actually shared by eligible voters.

Yet when polled most people are skeptical of politics.

So where do these actual radical ideas exsist?

In the make believe world of propaganda.

Politicians then use this to make their self interest moves.

edit on 29-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join