It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spotify Banning Neo Nazi Music

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Explain the difference between Spotify not streaming Nazi music vs Walmart not selling Nazi music.

What is the difference?

Walmart didn't sell "Nazi music" one second, then censor it for political reasons.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Shamrock6

My definitions being the ones that one can find in a dictionary. Yes, those.

Not carrying a product is not censorship. The artists involved have not been prevented from making their music, and their fans have not been prevented from hearing it.

And please, don't start casting about the sophistry tag when you yourself just blatantly used a fallacious example. Pedant.

Yes the same definitions that run contrary to your specious arguments. You do not not know what censorship is. The fact you had to run to the dictionary after your argument only illustrates the point. Sophist.

Wait... him running to a dictionary to explain how your understanding of a word is incorrect, is tantamount to him not understanding that word?

Remind me to never play a board game with you. By your rationale, reaching for the rule book automatically makes me wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Wait... him running to a dictionary to explain how your understanding of a word is incorrect, is tantamount to him not understanding that word?

Remind me to never play a board game with you. By your rationale, reaching for the rule book automatically makes me wrong.

The definition of the word proved that my understanding of it is correct. Maybe you should go read the rule book twice.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

My definitions being the ones that one can find in a dictionary. Yes, those.

Not carrying a product is not censorship. The artists involved have not been prevented from making their music, and their fans have not been prevented from hearing it.

And please, don't start casting about the sophistry tag when you yourself just blatantly used a fallacious example. Pedant.

Yes the same definitions that run contrary to your specious arguments. You do not not know what censorship is. The fact you had to run to the dictionary after your argument only illustrates the point. Sophist.

The fact that you run to a dictionary and a thesaurus both any time you try to engage anybody illustrates my other point, too.

Sorry that you have such trouble with the words though. I had hoped that by posting the definitions for you, you'd be able to figure it out a little easier but it seems that was a loss.

I'll let you have your usual, and predictable, "last word" now. I know that makes you feel better.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What was Spotify doing with illegal content and material in the first place?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Thank you. And don't apologize. I'll give you your predictable little escape from the argument, which seems to be the going rate for whenever you're in a losing battle. Run away; I know it makes you feel better.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

The definition of the word proved that my understanding of it is correct. Maybe you should go read the rule book twice.

Spotify have not prohibited anyone from listening to any kind of music. They have simply stopped enabling people to listen to certain music (and by extension stopped paying royalties for that music)

That is not censorship.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Can't believe you'd need reminding of that...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Spotify have not prohibited anyone from listening to any kind of music. They have simply stopped enabling people to listen to certain music (and by extension stopped paying royalties for that music)

That is not censorship.

And the Ayatollah simply stopped enabling people to read certain books. They can go get it elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

What? No. How does the definition of censorship apply to any private company choosing what it does or does not carry?

Any logical person would be bringing wheelbarrows of dictionaries to dump on you.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That is not censorship.

And the Ayatollah simply stopped enabling people to read certain books. They can go get it elsewhere.

Nope not even remotely the same thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

What? No. How does the definition of censorship apply to any private company choosing what it does or does not carry?

Any logical person would be bringing wheelbarrows of dictionaries to dump on you.

How does it not?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Why?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Why?

You really need the difference between a private company and the leader of a country explained?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

How does it not?

You're kidding, right?

Censorship is suppression or prohibition. A private business choosing which products they carry is neither of those things.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You really need the difference between a private company and the leader of a country explained?

The question isn't who they are, it is whether they are censoring or not. Do I really need to explain this?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You're kidding, right?

Censorship is suppression or prohibition. A private business choosing which products they carry is neither of those things.

It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I'm sorry.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The question isn't who they are, it is whether they are censoring or not. Do I really need to explain this?

But the distinction is critical. One can choose not to do something. The other can choose to prevent people doing something.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

What?

Censorship of music refers to the practice of editing of musical works for various reasons, stemming from a wide variety of motivations, including moral, political, or religious reasons. Censorship can range from the complete government-enforced legal prohibition of a musical work, to private, voluntary removal of content when a musical work appears in a certain context.

Music Censorship

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

You're kidding, right?

It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I'm sorry.

Why? Explain why what I said is not true. Explain how a private business choosing what they offer is "suppression" or "prohibition".

Unless you want to just keep calling people stupid. If so, have at it. I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree which is why this should be all the more embarrassing for you to not understand.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join