It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Testing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I don't know if this is the right place for this.

Has anyone done one of those DNA tests? If so, where you surprised by your results?

I sure was!

I grew up being told and thinking that I was half Italian (Sicilian), 1/4 Canadian French (no jokes please), and 1/4 Native American Indian. All of the relatives on my maternal side are like off-the-boat Italian. Watching them at a family gathering is like watching Good fellas! On my dad's side my grampy only spoke Canadian French and my great-great grand-mother was a legit Indian squaw, photo's to prove it.

Anyway, I got my own results back and was surprised to find that my DNA consisted of 73% Spanish and over 20% Siberian. The rest was made up of Italy, Norway, France, Syria and of course Northern Africa. No Native American and not a lot of Italian at all.

The fun part was researching key historical migrations and key historical conflicts like the Franco-Spanish war in 1635. I could imagine that maybe a Spanish soldier met up with a French woman and... well the rest is history
But the Siberian thing... I was trying to do research on migrations from native Siberian tribes down into what, Canada? and then the US? I suppose anything is possible!

In the end it was cool and interesting to see all of the results and learn that I even have 95% DNA matches around the world! It also clearly explains my love of Latin music and dance and magic of Winter time!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I have considered doing one. What did you use?
Where you disappointed with not being Native American? I find a lot of people want to be or there was a trend through the 70'-80's to claim that heritage (no offense) as a fad...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Me. It was weird. I've tested with three companies and I am on GedMatch. What company did you test with?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I have heard reports that ancestry won't include native american so your siberian would probably be the equivalent of NA

Also, ancestry and ftdna will remove dna that is 'identical by state' ...meaning sections of dna that never change and would not be relevant in finding ancestors. They probably do use it for your heritage tho.

There are a ton of companies who will show your ancient dna and you can access them through Gedmatch.com. It is free and run by volunteers to help adoptees find relatives.

Mine came back 100 percent European on one site but the other said it was only 98 percent...Finland was not considered European. Ancestry recently released an ancient dna section and I came back all on the European continent but some further inland.

No doubt mitochondrial dna will go back to somewhere in africa and that is often the only place african heritage can be traced in some.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Nice to see another from Gedmatch here. I did ancestry then transferred to ftdna and Gedmatch. My maternal half brother share 110 more cMs on ftdna and gedmatch than on ancestry.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I used Family Tree DNA.

Nah, I wasn't disappointed in the results, I thought the results were pretty cool but I was definitely surprised!

Of course my dad is totally against it. He sees himself as half native American and half French and that's it! He's old school haha! He says those testing companies are full of # and that he wouldn't let the government get ahold of his DNA anyway... Not sure what they'd do with it but... oh well

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There were a lot of people in Spain and Italy that actually moved to the other country. Sailors in the past tended to marry women from other countries and settle in the other country. Even the whole family would move, spain and Italy are two countries where that occurred.

My son in law thought he was around half Spanish, but found out he is about half Italian and is related to a saint just as some of his relatives had said. Even though the saint is Italian, they also thought they were Spanish. Strange. You would think that the spelling of their last name and where the saint came from would be a hint. Some people cannot think on their own, now they know they are Italians. My son in law actually got along with my mason really well, probably because my mason,Valantino, was full Italian and my son in law was almost half Italian.

I figured I was half swedish but found I was almost all Finn with just a trace of swede in me. I heard stories from my uncles about Finish guys going get swedish girls just across the boarder, but after discovering not much swede when I was supposed to be half swede, I contacted some people in Finland and they said that that was going on so long near that area that all the people in the Swedish side were Finnish. I guess boarders there meant nothing, the Finns were in that swedish town for many hundred years. The guys and girls crossing the boarder to be naughty were not actually doing anything, Laplanders were always moving around in the north.

So, that is the way it goes, I am as Finn as a true Finlander. My excuse of being half Swede went down the toilet.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I also had results from Jordan, Turkey and Iraq...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Done testing for myself and my father, everything except noise ( South America for me and Oceania for my father ) was accurate. We have Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Scottish, French, German and Italian ( Italian was 2% not much).

I suggest to upload autosomal data to gedmatch .. that is where fun starts
GEDMATCH
edit on 17-8-2017 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

FTDNA do not give your results to anyone without your permission.. your father should relax.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Mine was 99.9% European, .01% other. (48% listed as European/Irish) the rest scattered around the European area.

I am white and have several African Americans listed as 3rd to 5th cousins.

I used 23andme and have 1,197 matches.
edit on R252017-08-17T13:25:24-05:00k258Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

FTDNA do not give your results to anyone without your permission.. your father should relax.

Right...
But to my father... everything is a conspiracy of some sort

edit on 17-8-2017 by Skorpiogurl because: spelling

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't do that for any thing!!

I just don't understand why anybody would offer their DNA to a private corporation (23 and Me has Google connections) regardless of what they say about privacy. I can see a medical lab or your doctor acquiring it for a medical situation, but never in a million years would I offer up my DNA to who knows who?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Rest assured, if any of that data is online than Google has it which means the government can have it if not already. People need to realize and accept that you need not be nefarious in any capacity for your data to be collected...and stored.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

And I work for a government agency so they already have all of my data... so there's always that.
In fact, I got my DNA done as part of a fun project that we ran at work.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
a reply to: Aliensun

And I work for a government agency so they already have all of my data... so there's always that.
In fact, I got my DNA done as part of a fun project that we ran at work.

And guess what? When the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) was hacked in 2015, your DNA data, and all your personal info including info about your family was breached. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about there. Right? Maybe not in the short term, but who knows?

Read this: www.abovetopsecret.com... Some people's fingerprint patterns were even stolen.

So, you don't know WHO has your personal data, including your DNA, your fingerprints, your personal info.

Again, why in the holy h*ll would anybody voluntarily give their data to a private organization for grins and giggles?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Why on earth would anyone willingly send their DNA to a So called company for testing? I wouldn't put it past our Gov to set up company's like this for DNA cataloging, I know I'll go get my Tin Foil hat.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I did Ancestry.Com. the surprise for me wasn't so much my ancestry, but finding out my biological father was someone else, and my family lied to me. And that I have a whole mess of new ancestors I have to now look up.

My actually ethnic breakdown was overall, what I expected it to be, with only a couple mild surprises. It goes as follows:

29% Western European/Germanic
24% Eastern European/Slavic
26% British/Anglo Saxon
14% irish
2% Iberian/Spanish
1% Italian
1% Scandinavian
1% Iranian/Caucasian
1% South Asian/Indian
1% Nigerian

Only real surprises for me were the Irish, since I had no known recent relatives of Irish decent, and the Italian, or lack of. My great grandparents hailed from Northern Italy, but it turns out, they were actually children of Slavic migrants who settled Northern Italy during the Austro-Hubgarian days.

Another surprise was what was missing. Given that most of my ancestral homelands were on the marches of central and eastern Europe, and thus, subject to frequent invasions from Mongols, Turks, and Arabs, so I was expecting a touch of that to show up, but surprisingly, it didn't.

The Nigerian part made me laugh. So that prince who keeps sending me emails about wanting to wire me millions isn't really a scammer. He's just a long lost relative who heard how broke I was!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I did one and I was a little bit surprised but not really. I have very European names from both sides coming together though the speculation that there was Native American in the line was incorrect (unless I'm just so many generations out that I do not have any of the old blood anymore) . Something that I did not know was that I am 18% Irish and 17% Italian. I didn't even know any of my lineage branched out into Italy. I also have about 5% coming from Scandinavia so maybe even some badass viking ancestry too. XD

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Think about this: If you go back 10 generations, you have 1024 10th great grandparents. It stands to reason that they, and their ancestors before, will be from all parts of the globe. None of us are pure anything, except human.

<<   2 >>

join