It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU claims Law enforcement stood down in hope violence would give them excuse to clear the area

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Gastanaga said that it is the responsibility of law enforcement to ensure safety of both protesters and counter-protesters. She went on to say that policing on Saturday was not effective in preventing violence.

“I was there and brought concerns directly to the secretary of public safety and the head of the Virginia State Police about the way that the barricades in the park limiting access by the arriving demonstrators and the lack of any physical separation of the protesters and counter-protesters on the street were contributing to the potential of violence,” said Gastanaga. “They did not respond. In fact, law enforcement was standing passively by, seeming to be waiting for violence to take place, so that they would have grounds to declare an emergency, declare an ‘unlawful assembly’ and clear the area.”

wtvr.com...

I second this opinion. Why else would police do nothing, and in some cases worse than nothing by leading protestors directly into the path of counter protestors.

Lets not forget the leadership did not want this rally to happen. So once they were forced to allow it legally, they probably thought that they would allow violence to escalate so that they could then shut down the event.

No in no way does this excuse anyone who committed any violence, especially the man who killed that woman.

But if this is true, the leadership that ordered the standdown has blood on their hands too.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
That's what happens when the communists show up to protest the nazis.

I'm sure the high ranking black city officials were real concerned about the protesters saftey.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

The young lady who died might be alive today if law enforcement had been allowed to do their job.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The governors obtuseness was deliberate. They wanted something to happen, that much is becoming known.

I'm sick of this crap, they're not even trying to hide themselves anymore. We need to see some big-wigs behind bars soon, accountability has got to catch up with these #@%$(^ sooner or later.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Why else would police do nothing

Same reason for the Benghazi 'stand down'.

Political pressure from higher ups.

Mayor-Governor that benefits from never letting a good crisis go to waste.

Creating one.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The young lady who died might be alive today if law enforcement had been allowed to do their job.

Agreed.

Now again, I say in the strongest possible terms; the man who ran over her is responsible for his own actions, no matter what law enforcement did.

But there does seem to be a pattern emerging.

Why are rioters or violent protestors (from any side) allowed so often to get away with crimes right out in the public?

This just emboldens future bad behavior that escalates until someone dies.

Look at the statue being pulled down yesterday as police did nothing. And you know the police are being oredered to do nothing.

As long as leaders allow this lawlessness because they think it is justified by their political beliefs, things are going to get much, much worse.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

But there does seem to be a pattern emerging.

Back in the day when we had 'free speech zones' I don't recall the 'violence'.

I wondered what happened to them.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. By all accounts the police pretty much did nothing. We saw the same story on Friday night. The cops didn't show up to UVA until after the Nazis had assaulted members of the community and then dispersed.

I do have to wonder if they were given a direct order to do nothing or if they're simply incompetent and were told to use their best judgment. Either way it's certainly a black eye for the CPD and heads will probably roll.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Either way it's certainly a black eye for the CPD and heads will probably roll.

Don't count on it.

Police across the country are heavily unionized.

And we all know which way they vote.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I wouldn't be surprised. By all accounts the police pretty much did nothing. We saw the same story on Friday night. The cops didn't show up to UVA until after the Nazis had assaulted members of the community and then dispersed.

I do have to wonder if they were given a direct order to do nothing or if they're simply incompetent and were told to use their best judgment. Either way it's certainly a black eye for the CPD and heads will probably roll.

But it I doubt it was the police's call. I am almost positive they are getting orders from higher ups.

Think about the fact that the very leaders that are now out there condemning violence quite possibly not only made that violence possible, but wanted it for political purposes.

This is a conspiracy worthy of discussion here on ATS.

And for the record, while we may be on opposite sides of the political aisle, I am right there with you condemning the violent behavior from the white nationalists or nazis or whatever they want to call themselves.

The police should ensure any person committing violence at these rallies is arrested, regardless of ideology.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They did worse than doing nothing - as you say OP they directed the protesters into the counter protest. They also STARTED the violence in the park when removing peaceful protesters (before any violence had kicked off).

They ignored a federal court order by ejecting the protesters from the park.

There should be an investigation - with all communications about the organisation subpoenaed.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Called it. The small police presence was a dead give away. Apparently they also forgot to close of roads. Every person responsible for this cluster# should be charged and tried in a court of law.

Shame on all of them.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
That's what happens when the communists show up to protest the nazis.

I'm sure the high ranking black city officials were real concerned about the protesters saftey.

I'm just floored that Democrats (the people you call "communists") are actually doing something more than just smoking pot.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Agreed.

Now again, I say in the strongest possible terms; the man who ran over her is responsible for his own actions, no matter what law enforcement did.

Absolutely, the young Nazi punk did it and should own it.

But the sad thing is that if he had been one of the violent ones before hand, then instead of running down innocent people, he'd have been cooling his heels in a jail cell.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

No surprise. They are praying for a civil war to break out in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
As the real story keeps coming out in detail, we will soon know who the real perpetrators are.

All movies have directors.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I absolutely agree that the guy that killed that girl is responsible for what he did! hope he gets at least 30 years! my late wife's cousin is the "commander" of one of these idiot Nazi groups! and we always had a good laugh at their stupid ideals
but if the cops did this then heads should roll! this is all to much! and I am truly frightened for innocent people like me and mine ! who can't stand peacefully laugh at idiots anymore safely!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Killing millions of people just to stay on the right side of history. It's a very dangerous game they are playing. I think most people still lack the ability to really grasp what starting a civil war would entail for the country. There is nothing glorious or honorable about it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

George Soros planned color Revolution. How many times and how many countries have we seen it happen? Also, you mean to tell me our politicians aren't knowingly in on it?

Check out the 1st 30 minutes of this video! The regular yvid bbc doesn't seem to work, so I will just post the hard link.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Probably true, I think. Once a protest erupts into violence, license is given to shut everything down and do it by force if necessary.

To be fair, Charlottesville PD has something like 120 officers. It's not a big city, and it's not a big force. That's why there were so many Troopers sent to the city. The flip side of that coin is that, according to the LA Times (I think?) the CPD officers initially started out in regular uniforms and had to essentially retreat to get their riot gear on, then move back to the "protest" area.

I don't know how much weight to give to the whole "if they'd done their job she would still be alive" idea, though. That incident occurred a few blocks away from the park where the majority of things happened in/around. Short of shutting down the entire area for blocks in every direction, who's to say it would've been prevented? Sure, we can what-if it, but I don't think it's cut and dry.

At best, it was incredibly mishandled. I cannot understand having an event like that and having officers in patrol gear, not already geared up for things to get sideways. I think somebody, somewhere in the planning stage, got the bright idea that having officers in riot gear would somehow add tension to everything and would make it worse. Nothing to back that up, just my take on it.

At worst, it was an order to let things escalate. If that's the case, it seems to me the chief of CPD is being hung out to dry, because he's denying there was any stand down order but won't say anything else. Any time somebody asks him a hard question about the handling of the incident, he either obfuscates or shuts down the press conference entirely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join